Saturday, April 28, 2012

SAFE, R ( 1 hr & 35 min )

I chose this poster because of the release date shown.
where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Friday, April 27th, 2012
show:  10:00 p.m.
costs:  $10.50 Ticket + $4.75 Pretzel Bites + $4.50 20.0 oz Focus VitaminWater = $19.75
auditorium:  12
seat:  4th row, 6th column

2nd time



where:  EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when:  Thursday, May 3rd, 2012
show:  9:00 p.m.
costs:  $0.00 Ticket ( free on Regal Movie Watcher Rewards Card ) + $1.00 upgrade on free small Popcorn + $4.75 small 30.0 oz Diet Sprite = $5.75
auditorium:  15
seat:  4th row, 5th seat

synopsis/overview:  A guilt-stricken down-and-out MMA fighter, Luke Wright ( Jason Statham ),  out on-the-lam from gangsters, sees a girl, Mei ( Catherine Chan ), being chased by the same bad guys who killed his own wife after a botched rigged fight. He saves the girl and finds out that she holds in her memory a high-stakes numerical code that the Chinese Triad, the Russian Mob, and some corrupt NYC cops want to get their hands on at all costs.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Classroom; 2.) Kidnap; 3.) One punch; 4.) Computer-like memory; 5.) "You just killed your wife"; 6.) "If you're still here tomorrow, I will kill the landlady"; 7.) Bad cop; 8.) "It's losing money"; 9.) New floor boss; 10.) "If you're asking me that, you still don't understand business"; 11.) Shoes; 12.) Sad news; 13.) Dead bum; 14.) "I've memorized it"; 15.) "Look what the cat dragged in"; 16.) Sets of numbers; 17.) Ambush; 18.) "Why would you come back"; 19.) "My father is a patient man, I am not"; 20.) The double-cross; 21.) Escape; 22.) The subway train platform; 23.) The train; 24.) "They all look the same to me"; 25.) The car-struck bad guy; 26.) Clothing store; 27.) Hotel; 28.) "I didn't save you, you saved me"; 29.) Numerical code combination; 30.) Hotel banquet hall; 31.) "Don't move"; 32.) Stampede; 33.) 'Phone call; 34.) "Very deadly ghost"; 35.) "That girl doesn't leave the city"; 36.) "You don't bring no hookers in my cab"; 37.) "I never know what to say in these moments"; 38.) SUV; 39.) Pet; 40.) I didn't know a Trachea could break; 41.) Sandwich; 42.) Thirty million dollars; 43.) Nightclub; 44.) Gambling den; 45.) The safe; 46.) "I didn't say I was putting you at the Ritz"; 47.) Disc; 48.) "You might want to close your eyes"; 49.) "'Amazing I can even walk"; 50.) Stand-off; 51.) "I saw him fight before. Bad business for you"; 52.) All accounts in China; 53.) "Our security"; and 54.) Friends.

favorite scenes:  I liked the scene in which a bad guy got hit by a car twice.

And I liked the scene in which Luke and a bad cop squared-off to fight near the end of the movie.

audience reaction:  The audience enjoyed this movie. It has some wickedly funny scenes. But it didn't get a "Hands Clapper" ending, though.

recommendation:  I enjoyed this movie, too. And I'm thinking of maybe seeing it again because I missed some of the subtitled funny one-liners because I was busy scribbling notes on my notepad. Go see this movie if you like Crime/Action/Comedy movies.

spoiler alert!  How'd he get in the subway without any money? In the train fight, all the bad guys had the chance to pull out their guns. When he fell out of the window at the shoot-out in a hotel's banquet hall, his forehead should have hit the pavement. "I never know what to say in these moments." Here's a suggestion: "Bang, bang, you're dead!" After that gun battle in the nightclub, both cops and reporters should have been at the scene. In real life, that bad cop would have to make a statement at the scene and he would have been given First Aid treatment on the spot; and, also, he would be required to file a detailed report at the police department in a timely manner. Since the bad cop didn't do either one ( make a statement and file a report in a timely manner since he went missing ), that should have been enough to raise someone's suspicion, especially since the gun battle was with the Chinese but a suspect in his custody was a Russian, instead. In the end, if I were him, I'd keep the money that I took--and I'd probably take even more--and wouldn't have to worry about paying it back since I'd have the upper hand.

fyi:  My Chinese friend, David, is very fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin. I've known him for 10 years, and he still speaks with a Chinese accent. Unlike the 11-year old girl in this movie who supposedly has only been in the United States for a little over a year yet speaks American English with barely a Chinese accent.

Cops wearing bullet-proof vests are scared of bad guys using .22 calibre guns and rifles because .22 calibre bullets can go through a bullet-proof vest and ricochet inside a human body if it hits a bone, according to an article on the Internet.

word of advice:  It's rude to speak in another language with someone when others around you don't speak such a language. ( So the next time you come across two Deaf-Mutes conversing with each other in Sign Language, use your hands to slap them for me! In the words of Jar-Jar Binks, "How rude!" Ha, ha, ha. )

tidbits:  I went to the men's room before the movie started. One of my co-workers, Manny, was in there. He asked me what I saw. I said that I was gonna see SAFE. And I asked him which movie he saw. He said that he just saw THE RAVEN. I told him that I was gonna see that tomorrow.

And I added that our boss better not call me at home and ask if I'd like to come in early because I wouldn't be at home to answer his call. I'd be in Fairfield to see the movie, THE RAVEN. We both laughed.

2nd tidbits:  I watched this for a second time while I waited for the midnight show of THE AVENGERS.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment