Tuesday, March 10, 2015

TUESDAY, MARCH 10TH, 2015 = SAN FRANCISCO VACATION

Today, I waited in the hotel lobby for about 1 1/2 hours to meet with my sister and her family, whom I haven't seen since 2010 when I visited them in Michigan. They are staying at a hotel in Concord, CA. I didn't actually mind waiting for that long a time because it enabled me to recite more Zhunti Mantras.

When they finally arrived, we walked around Chinatown for a short while. My sister wanted to go to the Eastern Bakery on the corner of Grant Avenue and Commercial Street to show it to her husband and her daughter. It was one of my sister's favorite places to go to when she went to school here in San Francisco.

All the while, I scanned my surroundings in the hope of finding a Buddhist Monk or Nun to donate the $60.00 that I found one night two winters ago. As I had pledged then and there to give the money to either one, but I saw neither one of them. I'll keep trying because I already had that money earmarked.

We took a bus, the first San Francisco bus that I've ever been on, on Sacramento Street and rode it 'til we arrived at the Fillmore Street bus stop. From there, we went up and down Fillmore Street in search of the Japanese restaurant and the Chinese restaurant that my sister frequented years ago.

The Chinese restaurant is no longer there. So, we went to have lunch at the Japanese restaurant, Ten-Ichi.

Ten-Ichi hosted Robin Williams once, according to my sister who saw him here at lunchtime.
-

We each had the two-item combo. I ordered the #1 & the #5 and my niece ordered the #1 & the #3; but I don't remember what my sister and my brother-in-law ordered. Our orders each came with a bowl of white rice. But none of us ate any of the rice. Knowing what I know about how the Japanese cook their rice in a very exacting manner, I believe that we insulted them by not eating even one plain morsel of rice! ( Especially since there were clearly 1 half-Asian and 2 Asians in our group. )

But I have my health reason for not eating white rice anymore. And my brother-in-law is diabetic. I don't know what my sister and niece's reasons were for not eating the rice. And I was not about to point out to them our lack of table manners BECAUSE THERE AIN'T NO WAY THAT I WAS EATING ANY OF THAT RICE AT ALL! I had to keep quiet about it.

And, to think, a year ago, I would have eaten all of that rice by myself--and then some!

While we were eating, I asked my sister about their old Jack Russell dog, Gromit. She said that he is doing fine now. Old and deaf Gromit almost died twice late last year. And, in his younger years, he survived after having eaten rat poison TWICE! My sister said that Gromit is like the biblical Lazarus.

Then, my niece told her mom to tell me about the incident when Gromit had a UTI ( urinary tract infection ).

One winter day, my sister let Lady ( their female Jack Russell ) and Gromit out in the back yard. When my sister called them both in, only Lady appeared. And nowhere was Gromit to be found. Soon, my sister heard a whining noise. When she went to investigate, she found Gromit halfway through the doggie door, as illustrated by a Jack Russell in this photo which I found on the Internet but which is facing in the opposite direction:

-

Because Gromit suffered from a UTI, his penis was distended and exposed; and because it was deep in sub-zero winter time, his penis' tip was frozen stuck to the bottom of the doggie door metal frame! My sister tried to free Gromit as gently as she could. But Gromit was stuck to that frame. So, my sister yanked him off! And, because of it, Gromit is now officially the first circumcised dog in all of history! My sister would do a rabbi proud. ( Well, my sister also has some Jewish blood in her, what else can I say. ) Ha, ha, ha. Poor Gromit ....

Then, I showed them this picture of another Jack Russell (?) which I posted on my Facebook page:

It's too bad that this is not a wiener dog! I found this on the Internet.
-

I would have loved to have owned this dog. Ooh, the names that I could have called it by .... Ha, ha, ha.


I took this photo just before we boarded a bus bound for Chinatown. This structure, on the corner of Sacramento and Webster Streets,  used to be the UOP's ( University Of Pacific ) School of Dentistry. The dental school was relocated to a nearby newer facility.
-

After we had our lunch, we went back to Chinatown for more sight-seeing and more shopping.

Then, it was time for them to go back to their hotel in Concord.

After a quick stop at my hotel, I walked them back to the Powell Street BART Train Station and gave them this tip: During afternoon rush hour, some passengers would board a train going in the opposite direction to catch their train further up where they can be assured of getting a seat. Such passengers are called, "Upstreamers."

When we parted ways, I walked in the opposite direction on Market Street to go to a nearby MacDonald's Restaurant and have a medium size lemonade with the bean paste moon cake that my sister bought for me at the bakery. I only ate the bean paste filling.

Then, I went to AMC Metreon 16 to catch the 4:55 p.m. showing of TRIUMPH IN THE SKIES, in auditorium 7, 4th row ( counting from the front ), 5th seat ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $12.99. And I bought a Kid's Pack for $6.49. And I just found out that they charge tax on their concessions items ( I had to pay $6.67, instead )! What the heck ....

-

TRIUMP IN THE SKIES is another English subtitled Chinese movie, a Romance/Drama. It centers on the separate love affairs of three pilots and their respective love interests. I liked it. And one of the principal characters just had to sing, Somewhere Over The Rainbow, which always tugs at my heart strings! And there was a scene with a seat belt buckle which I liked. But the Bonus Scenes during the Ending Credits should have been subtitled, my only gripe. And the airline name, Skylette, was kind of amusing; so was the soccer game.

There were just a few people in the audience and I couldn't gauge their reaction to this movie. But if you like Romance/Drama, you might want to check this movie out.

After the movie, I went to the Market Street CVS Pharmacy to look for a birthday mug for my brother's upcoming 50th birthday. They didn't have it.

I crossed the street to go to the Walgreens Pharmacy to look for the same thing. They didn't have it, either. But they did sell St. Patrick's Day T-Shirts. And St. Patrick's Day is the day when my brother was born. So, I bought him one.

I'll give the T-shirt to my brother tomorrow in Fairfield, CA, when I will have dinner with him at his house with my sisters and their families.

On my way back to the hotel,  I decided to have dinner, first, at the Food Court on the corner of California Street and Grant Avenue. I had a 2-item combo of Kung Pao Chicken and Mixed Vegetables for $7.56. And I went back to Eastern Bakery to try their Lotus w/ Egg Yolk Moon Cake for $5.90.

I ate the Lotus w/ Egg Yolk Moon Cake ( just the filling, not the pastry shell ) along with the Steamed Pork Bun ( again, just the filling ), that my sister gave to me earlier,  when I got back in my hotel room.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment