Friday, September 24, 2010

THE LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE, PG ( 1 hr & 30 min )

















where: EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Friday, September 24th, 2010
show: 11:50 a.m.
costs: $17.50 Ticket + $5.75 Zap Pack + $11.88 Fake/Novelty Driver's Licenses, decal, & Daily Republic newspaper = $35.13
auditorium: 12, with the I-Max screen
seat: 5th row, 6th column

2nd time:

where:
CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, September 24th, 2010
show: 3:45 p.m.
costs: $7.50 + $8.65 lunch at Golden City Buffet ( + $1.35 Tip ) = $17.50
auditorium: 1
seat: 4th row, 7th column


synopsis:
A young owl can't get enough of the bedtime stories that his dad tells him and his brother and sister about a mythical kind of owls called, The Guardians. When trouble arises and threatens him and his loved ones, he goes in search of The Guardians and ultimately becomes one of them.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) "Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it isn't real"; 2.) Branching; 3.) First pellet; 4.) Ground; 5.) Abductors; 6.) "Orphans"; 7.) Soldiers and pickers; 8.) Moon blink; 9.) Volunteer; 10.) The promise; 11.) Test; 12.) "Feels much better"; 13.) "The young ones are our future"; 14.) Burrowing owl; 15.) "Dinner"; 16.) Poet & warrior; 17.) Baby sister; 18.) "We are now asleep"; 19.) Crows; 20.) "'Twas foretold"; 21.) Rescue; 22.) "My words are my proof that you're real"; 23.) Basic training; 24.) Chronicles; 25.) "He sees it"; 26.) Spies; 27.) Trap; 28.) Exemplary; 29.) The hero, in person; 30.) The report; 31.) "To arms"; 32.) Traitor; 33.) Gizzard hazard; 34.) Battle song; 35.) "There's only room for one king"; 36.) Fire; 37.) Old foes rematch; 38.) "Honor is just another name for weakness"; 39.) "My teacher, my hero; 40.) Chronicles amendment; 41.) Reunion; 42.) Celebration and 43.) A new generation.

audience reaction:
N/A. I was the only one in the audience.

2nd audience reaction: There were many people in the audience for this 2-D show. But this movie didn't get an "Hands Clapper" ending because, for the most part, it is aimed at an older crowd even though some of the creatures in this movie look cute and fluffy.

recommendation: I loved this movie! The CGI is done exceptionally well and with great meticulous attention to detail. The owls in flight really look like owls in flight. See this with your whole family.

spoiler alert! This is not a "Kids' Movie", per se. By this, I mean that it's not suited for young brats. I think of this movie more as a winged, feathered, taloned and beaked version of the movie, 300! There are stabbings and decapitations ( albeit, implied only ) and all sorts of nasty stuff that you can think of to do with sharp, bladed instruments depicted in this movie. And some of the words spoken in this movie are done too fast and/or not enunciated well enough that I missed comprehending a few words. ( Or, maybe, I was just too busy scribbling down notes in the dark! ) And on top of all this, the bad guys speak with a foreign accent ( British, I think ), compounding the problem. And the bad guy's eye, the good guy's eye, the "moon-blinked" eyes, and the snake's eyes may all prove to be just a wee bit too much for the little brats, especially in 3-D or, worse! in Imax 3-D.

fyi: Back in Matina, Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines, I read an article in my mom's Reader's Digest about Great Horned Owls and Eagles. They are supposed to be enemies of each other, fighting for supremacy and territory. But the owl has two advantages over the eagle: It can see in the dark and it can fly silently.

I wanted to post this last night but both Google Chrome and Opera were acting-up. So, I had to shut down my computer to reboot it. Today, I decided to use my Mozilla Firefox browser to finish this blog.

word of advice:
Don't betray your own family.

tidbits:
I was going to see this in Vacaville because I needed to buy more fake/novelty driver's licenses at the Chevron gas station next to the Brenden Vacaville theatre. But I didn't know the movie schedule at Brenden's. So, I bought a Daily Republic newspaper, too. But when I checked the local movie listings, it only had those for the theatre in Fairfield, Edwards Fairfield Stadium 16 & I-Max. So, I went to see it there instead.

And since I was the only one in the audience at Edwards', I decided to see it again, but in 2-D, at the theatre here in Vallejo, Century 14 Vallejo, because I needed to gauge the audience reaction to this particular movie.

attention:
Sorry, I kind of "jumped the gun", so to speak, in announcing that the weblog awards is coming soon. Actually, nominations will begin on January 1st ( ? ) of next year for the 2010 entries. I will be sure to remind you come December to pick through all of my 2010 blog posts for any one in particular that you deem worthy of submission/consideration/inclusion in the nomination process. Thank you. ( It's obvious that I impatiently cannot contain my excitement! )