Tuesday, February 11, 2014

VAMPIRE ACADEMY, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 44 min )

-

I went to see this yesterday, Monday, February 10th, 2014, in San Francisco, CA, at the AMC METREON 16, for the 7:00 p.m. show on the 3rd floor, in auditorium 10, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $12.50. I bought nothing at the concessions counter because I smuggled-in a 16.9 oz bottle of water that I bought at a nearby 7-11 Store earlier ( and refilled at the theatre's drinking fountain ) and two MacDonald's cookies that I bought the day before at a Vallejo, CA, MacDonald's Restaurant. I spent $8.40 for my roundtrip BART Train ticket and $5.00 for the bridge toll at the Carquinez Bridge on my way home to Vallejo.

Quickie Review: The runaway half human/half vampire Dhampir guardian-in-training, Rose Hathaway ( Zoey Deutch ), and her Moroi best friend, Lissa Dragomir ( Lucy Fry ), a mortal vampire of royal blood, are hunted down and returned to their boarding school, St. Vladimir's Academy. The place where they are not well-received by their fellow classmates and where their lives are at stake ( Stake! 'Get it? Ha, ha, ha. )

The audience ( just about a dozen of them ) liked this movie. I didn't like it that much--'too much talking going on. This movie gives new meaning to the movie industry's term, "Talkies." This is definitely a Chick Flick movie. Go see this if you like Chick Flicks.

I don't like Chick Flicks that much. But this movie has a saving grace: The beautiful Zoey Deutch! I cannot help but notice that she bears a general facial resemblance to a young Lynda Carter ( famous for her TV role as Wonder Woman ). Hollywood should have chosen Zoey to play the part of Wonder Woman in the upcoming Batman/Superman movie, instead of choosing Gal Gadot!

These are some other things that I noticed wrong about this movie: How and/or why did that crow crash into a statue in broad daylight? I don't think that it was a good idea for the human "volunteers" to have the Moroi vampires feed on their blood on a daily basis! After all, a person can only donate a unit of blood once every two months---'See what happens when they don't hire my services as Cine-Man, Technical Adviser? If the Dhampir Guardians know that the evil Strigoi vampires are very sensitive to bright light, why didn't they each carry a high-intensity flashlight to add to their choice of weapon, a silver stake? When only one of the three girls got a necklace--and a very expensive one at that--that should have been enough to raise suspicion! Since a Strigoi is more than twice as strong as either a Moroi or a Dhampir, that Strigoi in the underground prison should have easily been able to free itself from being pinned against the prison bars. That many Strigoi vampires holed-out in such a small confined place would mean that the incidence of vampiric predation in the area would be noticeably high and frequent, and would draw attention from the local authorities!

*****************************************************

I went to my Chiropractor first thing in the morning. I asked him if he does chiropractic on animals and pets, like some other chiropractors do. He said that he only works on his pet cats. He added that chiropractors who work on animals mostly do horses--racehorses, to be exact. Because such horses undergo a lot of stress to their spine during training. He said that chiropractors who specialize on animals have to go in for more specialized training before they can practice on animals; and those who do spinal manipulations on horses use a special kind of mallet to align the horse's spine with. I asked if there is any danger of breaking or cracking a horse's spine by using a mallet on it. He said that a horse's spine is too strong for that kind of bone injury to happen.

Then, I asked him how he does chiropractic on very fat people. He said that chiropractors employ a different set of spinal manipulations on grossly obese patients. He brought up a particular patient of his, a 500-pound ( 226.80 kilos ) man. I asked him how the man is doing; he said that the man is doing well, considering the fact.

After my spinal manipulation, I went to the Safeway Supermarket on Admiral Callaghan Lane to get a print-out of my prescription expenses for last year so that I can go ahead and file my income tax return. And I bought some sour cream, grated 4-cheese Mexican blend, pico de gallo, a package of flour tortilla and a package of shredded lettuce for a particular dish in mind.

Then, I went to the local CSAA office, a few blocks away, to pay the monthly installment on my car insurance.

When I got home, a pot of rice and the beef dish that I cooked overnight in my 6-qt. slow-cooker were waiting for me. I also made beef burritos with the ingredients that I bought at the Safeway Supermarket. Yummy. But I couldn't help but notice that my beef burrito was missing something: Refried Beans!

I went to San Francisco to get a print-out of my medical expenses for last year, too, to add to my income tax filing.

And I went to see this movie to avoid the home-bound rush-hour commute.

When I got back to Vallejo, I stopped by the Safeway Supermarket once again to get the Refried Beans. I bought the store brand because someone raved about it a month ago, saying that it was the best one that he had tried so far. And I bought a container of Breyers Vanilla/Caramel Gelato--hey, I gotta indulge my taste buds decadently once in a while, you know .... Ha, ha, ha.

So, for my midnight dinner, I had beef burrito once again, but with a complete list of ingredients this time around. And I capped it off with a gelato dessert. Hmm, mmm, mmm. 'Yummier ....

*

No comments:

Post a Comment