Friday, February 20, 2015

THE DUFF, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 41 min )

-

I went to see this today, Friday, February 20th, 2015, here in Vallejo, CA, at the CENTURY 14 VALLEJO, for the 11:20 a.m. Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee in auditorium 1, 4th row ( counting from the front ), 7th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $7.15. And I bought a $5.95 Snack Pack at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review: A plain girl, Bianca ( Mae Whitman ), is shocked to learn from a likable jock, Wesley ( Robbie Amell ), that she just might be her best friends' D.U.F.F. ( designated ugly, fat friend ). And, so, with Wesley's help, she sets out to reinvent herself.

****************************************

This is so true. High school is when kids are just starting to discover their own identities and seek approval from their classmates. It is also a time when kids get abused and bullied a lot if they don't fit-in with the "In Crowd".

I have, indeed, observed superficial beautiful girls with girlfriends who are left wanting in the Face Department. ( I have a very beautiful niece whose bffs are not so "facially-appealing"---but I'm not saying that my niece is superficial, though! ) And I was worried how this movie's message would be construed by such unlucky ones. But I breathed a sigh of relief because this movie ends with a "Positive Vibe" to it.

I don't know why they didn't use the 1975 hit song, At Seventeen, by Janis Ian, for this movie. It would have been perfect!

Doesn't she look like a young Barbra Streisand? I found this on Wikipedia. 
I loved singing this song, by the way. 'Brings back memories. LOL

p.s. Not all of them are "duffs," some are D.U.S.F. ( designated ugly, skinny friend ).

p.p.s. I couldn't help but notice a similarity between Mae's performance in this movie and Ellen Page's performance in the movie, JUNO. But, of course,  Ellen is hotter.

*****************************************

I went to my periodontist today, at 7:00 a.m. for deep cleaning. The prognosis is not good: I may lose another tooth--or two! I suspect that it has to do with age-related bone loss that cannot be remedied simply by taking Calcium supplements.

Doing my own research, I learned that I am deficient in Magnesium, a mineral that's needed for bone growth. And, at my age, my Testosterone is at a lower level than it was in my teen years. Testosterone is also needed for bone growth and bone density. I have started a diet program at the first of this month that addresses my need for more Magnesium and Testosterone.

After my periodontal appointment, I went to the Safeway Supermarket on Admiral Callaghan Lane to buy some groceries.

Then, I went to my chiropractor for a spinal adjustment. I signed-up for another year's worth of service with the clinic.

When I got home and before I went to see this movie, I went jogging/sprinting ( for the Sun-derived Vitamin D--also needed for bone building ) at the nearby park, Dan Foley Park.

After the movie, I went to Selecta Pilipino Buffet Restaurant on Springs Road to have a high fat/high protein/low carb lunch. I also bought some lottery tickets.

Then, I went next door to the 99-Cent Only Store to buy a calculator, a ruler and a pack of clasp manila envelopes because I'm preparing my 2014 tax return.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment