Sunday, February 8, 2015

THE AMAZING PRAYBET BENJAMIN, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 45 min )

-
I went to see this last week, on Thursday, February 5th, 2015, here in Vallejo, CA, at the CENTURY 14 VALLEJO, for the 1:00 p.m. show in auditorium 8, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $6.00 for the First Show Matinee ( I was given the "senior discount." Whatever .... ). I bought a small Buttered Popcorn ( $5.75 ) along with a free small Powerade Mountain Berry Blast ( free on my Cine-Mark Movie Watcher Reward e-mail coupon ) at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review: After having defeated a horde of French zombies, Pvt. Benjamin ( Vice Ganda ) becomes the Philippines' proud national hero. But his insubordination gets him in hot water soon enough with his commanding officer. To stay enlisted, he must become the personal bodyguard of his commanding officer's estranged son who knows the whereabouts of three bombs planted in the Northern Philippines by a terrorist group.

I didn't find this movie amusing at all. But I did find it a waste of my precious time and hard-earned money. This has got to be The Most stupid movie that I have ever seen in my whole life--and I've seen plenty, believe you me! But this one "eats the cake" all by its lonesome self. And it isn't even Stupid-Funny at all. That was 1 Hour & 45 Minutes of my whole life that I will never get back ever again or even make up for.

And I didn't care to know how the other Pilipinos in the sparse audience liked this movie.

This movie wouldn't even rate a passing grade as a student film project, in my honest opinion!

And, to think, I almost made it in movies back in the Philippines in 1982. I was there for a scene shooting for the movie, CROSS MY HEART, which was filmed on location in Quezon City. I mingled with the cast and crew. I met with its director, Mr. Eddie Garcia, who plays a role in this Vice Ganda movie. Anyway, another director happened by and took an interest in me. Had it not been for my sister who kept calling me to come back to the States a.s.a.p. or risk losing my visa, I would have accepted the second director's offer and would have stayed in the Philippines to make a name for myself as an actor and, eventually,  as a movie director! If I knew then what I know now .... ( "Hindsight is always 20/20." )

Speaking of the actor/director Mr. Eddie Garcia, he looks like he had shrunk in height in this movie. He was quite tall when I met him in person 33 years ago.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment