Saturday, September 19, 2015

Double Feature Tuesday, September 15th, 2015

-

Since it was a $5.00 All-Day Tuesday at the EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA, I decided to take my time going to the movies and have lunch first at Great Moon Chinese Buffet located at the opposite end of the Westfield Shopping Mall, in Fairfield, from the theatre. I haven't been there in about a year. It was my first meal of the day. I arrived there at 3:45 p.m., meaning I only had 55 minutes before the start of the 1st movie that I wanted to see that day.

It was a pleasant surprise to see that they really serve Mongolian Beef. Other Chinese buffet restaurants have taken to serving Mongolian Pork, instead--boo! And they had a couple of chicken dishes which I liked ( I forget their names, though ). But, I didn't have enough time for dessert because the 1st movie was about to start. I spent $8.49 for lunch plus $1.00 for tip.

-
I went to see the 3:40 p.m. showing of 90 MINUTES IN HEAVEN ( PG-13, 2 hr & 1 min ) in auditorium 15, 4th row ( counting from the front ), 5th seat ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $5.00---Cheap!

There were a number of people who turned out for this show which is based on a true story of a pastor who was killed in a head-on collision one rainy day but miraculously came back to life. The audience liked this inspirational movie. You might want to check this movie out if you like faith-based inspirational movies.

But I couldn't help but wonder why God would have the pastor go through all that pain and misery just to affirm his Divinity. Did the pastor do something terrible, or take God's name in vain, for God to allow him to suffer in such a way?

I had a one-hour break in between movies so that I was able to do more Zhunti Mantras in the privacy of my car. Then, it was back to the movies for me.

Speaking of Mongolian ....

-
I went to see the 7:00 p.m. I-Max 3-D showing of WOLF TOTEM ( PG-13, 2 hr & 1 min ) in auditorium 12, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 6th seat ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $11.50 since it was in I-Max 3-D. I used my movie watcher reward to get a free small Fruit Punch and a $2.00 small Popcorn at the concessions counter.

There was only one other person in the auditorium with me which was too bad because this is a really good movie, a potential Oscar contender for Best Foreign Film, in my opinion. Go see this French/Chinese movie collaboration. It's in Chinese with English subtitles.

This movie is set in 1967 China/Mongolia. An idealistic college student and his friend are sent to Mongolia to teach the mostly illiterate nomads about the Cultural Revolution under Mao Zedong. He and his friend immerse themselves in the nomadic way of life among the Mongolians. And they soon learn the delicate balance of life between the nomads and their main threat, the wolves. When some greedy enterprising people decide to upset this balance, unforeseen consequences take a toll on the nomads' very existence, with innocent lives needlessly lost. In the end, the two friends return to China forever changed and humbled by their personal experience, and learned the importance of responsible coexistence.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment