Monday, February 12, 2018

PAD MAN, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 20 min )

-

Today, Monday, February 12th, 2018, I went to the Century 16 Hilltop, in Richmond, CA, to catch the 11:45 a.m. matinee showing of, PAD MAN, based on a true story. The price of admission was $5.75. I bought a $5.60 Snack Pack ( junior popcorn & drink ) at the concessions counter. And I went to auditorium 10 and sat in the 3rd row, column 8 seat to watch this movie.

Quickie Review:  In India, a man sacrifices everything to make sanitary napkins readily available to the 88% of women ( approximately 440 million ) who have no easy access to such a personal hygiene product.

I liked this movie a lot! It is a "must-see!" I especially liked the "panties experiment."  ( Ha, ha, ha---What a riot ! )  I also liked the scene wherein he pulled out a sanitary napkin from his pocket, on a darkened road, when some female stranger was having an "emergency." And his speech at the UN--in Linglish, at that! was also quite a charmer. Lastly, it is simply admirable how a simple man with an 8ht Grade education was able to drastically cut down the retail cost of sanitary napkins from 55 Rupees ( $0.86 ) to 2 Rupees ( $0.03 ) for a 5-pack, starting a revolutionary cottage industry in the process!

I don't know if it's just a cultural difference. But his wife, Gayatri ( Radhika Apte ), should have stood by his side.

I was hoping that Pad Man ( Akshay Kumar ) would end-up in a relationship with Pari ( Sonam Kapoor ) because of their shared interest--and because Pari is more beautiful than Gayatri.

Interestingly enough, in the Old Testament of The Bible, there is also a similar requirement imposed on ( ceremonially unclean ) menstruating females. ( If you ask me, however, I think that it was just to keep couples from engaging in promiscuous sex! Remember folks, thousands of years ago, people had a very limited set of options for birth control. )

********************************************

After the movie, I went to Yome Chinese Buffet Restaurant at the Hilltop Mall, to have a late lunch. I was charged $4.00 extra because today is a holiday, Lincoln's Birthday. Had I known, I would just have eaten lunch at the nearby McDonald's! Oh, well ....

********************************************

After I got back to Vallejo, CA, I went to the local MetroPCS Store to finally upgrade from a ( dual core ) Samsung Galaxy Mega 3 to a ( octa-core ) ZTE Blade Z Max:

-

They're essentially the same size, but the Blade is newer, stronger, better and faster. And I was issued a new 'phone number because I couldn't remember the PIN on my Mega! Well, if I'm gonna start with something new, I might as well have a new number, too! I paid over $180.00 for the cellphone, its initial month's service, a case and a screen protector. And I also ended up spending almost $30.00 for an extra USB cable.

I will buy a 128 GB Micro SD Card for it soon!

-

No comments:

Post a Comment