Saturday, October 2, 2010

LET ME IN, R ( 1 hr & 55 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Saturday, October 2nd, 2010
show: 7:45 p.m.
costs: $10.00 Ticket + $9.78 dinner @ Wendy's Restaurant ( # 4 Double-Bacon Combo Meal up-sized to a medium w/ Diet Coke + extra side of Chili w/ Onions & Cheese ) before the show = $19.78
auditorium: 11
seat: 4th row, 9th column

synopsis:
Out with the "old" and in with the "new". A "Puppy Love" affair with Bite!

Owen ( Kodi Smit-McPhee ), a bullied loner schoolboy befriends Abby ( Chloe Grace Moretz ), the beautiful new girl next door, just as the whole town becomes terrorized by a number of grisly "satanic" slayings.
Little by little, Owen begins to realize who the slayer is, but he is too fascinated by the suspect to know better.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) Hospital; 2.) Apartment complex courtyard; 3.) Voyeur & exhibitionist; 4.) Barefoot; 5.) Locker room; 6.) The meeting; 7.) The first victim; 8.) Eavesdrop; 9.) Rubik's Cube; 10.) Underpass; 11.) Creek; 12.) "Do I smell better now"; 13.) Boys' room; 14.) Fight back; 15.) Morse code; 16.) "Will you still like me even if I wasn't a girl"; 17.) Kitchen; 18.) Gas station; 19.) Crash; 20.) News; 21.) Hospital wall; 22.) Last request; 23.) "Can we go steady"; 24.) Note; 25.) Ice hockey; 26.) Neighborhood incident; 27.) Big brother; 28.) "I stood up to them"; 29.) Basement; 30.) Witnessed attack; 31.) Telephone call; 32.) Old arcade photo; 33.) Hospital fire; 34.) "What was that"; 35.) Television reminder; 36.) Evidence; 37.) The bathroom; 38.) The kiss; 39.) Swimming pool; and 40.) The train ride.

favorite scenes:
I loved the Basement Scene with Owen and Abby; and the "close-the-door" Scene in Abby's apartment!

audience reaction: The people in the audience with me enjoyed this movie.

recommendation: I enjoyed this movie, too! Go see this "Date" movie.

spoiler alert! I find it hard to believe that he can't spell the word, Sorry. Even in all that snow, there was no "foggy" breath. I bring this up because in the Underpass Scene, there was "foggy" breath. Why did she have to go barefooted for? It only draws more attention to her. I find it hard to believe that the driver never noticed the backseat passenger sitting there all that time through his rear-view mirror. If I were that passenger struggling for my life, I would have stepped on the car horn! If I were at his age, I don't think that I'd be able to sleep in the same bed with a beautiful someone who was naked. 'Think about it. At that age, boys are just "discovering" themselves. Back in 1983, twenty dollars was a lot of money. I don't know how Owen's mother never noticed the missing twenty-dollar bill. It is implied that Abby can fly. But, if you noticed, she had to climb up a wall. What I mean by this is that for her to be able to fly, she would have to sprout wings first. This is why she had to climb up a wall. And it also means that when she jumped-out of Owen's bedroom window she wouldn't have been able to fly into her own bedroom right away because there would have been no way for her to fly while wearing that dress! Why didn't the dog defend its owner? All the windows were covered-up so that no sunlight could get in, but Abby still had to sleep under layers of blanket in the dark ...? Why was the bad kid's hand still holding Owen's head down when all four bullies were being attacked? I would have tried to run for my life had that bully been me!

fyi: In the Philippines, we have an expression borrowed from the Spaniards: Susmaryosep. It is from the names of Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

The Pledge of Allegiance caused a controversy when The Knights of Columbus ( ? ) decided to add the phrase, "under God," since there is supposed to be a sharp separation of Church and State in this country. And that issue came from the hypocritical politicians who take Sundays and religious holidays off, and who celebrate Christmas--which was what happened in 1913 when the Federal Reserve Act was approved by Congress via minority ( read: No Representation ) vote!

I had a Rubik's Cube once, but I never played with it because I worried that I'd never get the colors back in the right way again. Unlike my brother, who played with his cube all the time. In my defense, though, my cube was a "special" one, the kind that came with blonde, brown, black, wavy, curly and redhead sides. And my little brother never knew of it. Ha, ha, ha.

Back when my family lived in the apartment complex in Matina, Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines, my father told me once how he was such an incorrigible brat who always went through his mother's bag for money. I decided to emulate him one night and went through my mom's handbag for loose change. My eldest sister caught me in the act. Whoopsie!

Many years ago, my friend, Hector, who was training to be a respiratory therapist at a local hospital, came across a man who was rushed into the emergency room. The man had drank a bottle of Drano--kids, don't try this at home!--to kill himself. There was nothing that any of the doctors could do for him. So, the man died a slow and painful death.

word of advice:
Love knows no bounds.

tidbits: I wanted to see this movie last Thursday midnight, but I ate too much at China Wall Buffet in Concord, California, three-and-a-half hours prior to the show. So, I decided to just go home and hop in bed to digest my meal. ( I went to Concord to buy a very special bar soap [ I bought three, actually ] and to buy a Norton Internet Security since my current one is about to expire in a few days. )


Before the movie, I swung by Selecta Filipino Buffet, but they had to close early ( they knew that I was coming ...? ) because all the food was gone since a huge crowd turned up ( their "official" explanation ). I decided to go to MacDonald's but then changed my mind and ate at Wendy's, instead, because it is closer to the theatre.

My original plan, today, was to go to Fairfield, California, to catch the sneak preview of LIFE AS WE KNOW IT. And, then, to see this movie shortly after. But since I have to work tomorrow, I decided to just see this movie here in Vallejo.

After the movie, a female patron said, "I was waiting for it to get better." I guess she didn't realize that this would not have made any sense at all because the movie implies what will eventually happen to Owen in the years to come ( without my adding any more spoilers ). But since that woman is no Cine-Man, I forgive her her lack of "cinematic insight".