Saturday, October 9, 2010

MY SOUL TO TAKE 3-D, R ( 1 hr & 46 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, October 8th, 2010
show: 10:05 p.m.
costs: $13.25 Ticket + $5.00 Snack Pack + $8.97 dinner @ Wendy's Restaurant: The # 5 Double-Deluxe Combo Meal w/ Side Salad & Ranch Dressing ( before the show ) = $27.22
auditorium: 7, with the 3-D screen
seat: 5th row, 10th column

synopsis:
A supernatural "whodunnit".

On the 16th anniversary of the last sighting of a serial killer, the small town of Riverton is faced with the same grisly horror, as the teens born prematurely on that fateful night meet with an untimely death one after the other.


noteworthy scenes:
1.) Ripper's knife; 2.) Seven premature births; 3.) Anniversary gathering; 4.) The bridge; 5.) Stepfather; 6.) "Pray for our souls"; 7.) California condor; 8.) Boy's room; 9.) Surveillance; 10.) Mimicking the other; 11.) The woods; 12.) Poolside; 13.) Rocking horse; 14.) Dream/nightmare; 15.) The truth; 16.) The second option; 17.) Bathroom; 18.) Kitchen; 19.) "Make it a 20"; 20.) The distraction; 21.) "'You think I'm crazy"; 22.) Keeper of the souls; 23.) "Fake it good"; and 24.) Storyboard sketches during the Ending Credits.

audience reaction:
A couple of scenes frightened some people ( read: girls ) in the audience. So, I guess that they liked this movie.

recommendation:
I didn't find this particularly enjoyable since it's not written well, not directed well and it is mediocrely acted. Wait for this to come out as a rental. Or, if you decide to see this movie on the big screen, save your money and see this in 2-D, instead.

spoiler alert!
The knife is inscribed with the word, "Vengeance." But there is no explanation for it--maybe at the end, but not at the beginning of it all. An ambulance truck like that would never be left neglected to rust in place since it's a crime scene. It would have been hauled away for forensic investigation. I can't believe that the cops just left without extinguishing the unattended campfire and all those lit candles. When one of the characters was walking through the woods, she recited the King James Version of Psalm 23 but skipped over some of the words. No wonder she fell victim to the murderer later on! Since the killing spree occurred within a 24-hour period, and three of them happened during school hours, the killer would have been seen hauling away the swimming pool victim from the school campus. And how did the killer manage to haul-away said victim from the campus, through the woods, and all the way to the makeshift "memorial"? How did the blind kid walk from his house all the way to his friend's house and "find" the rope to climb up on?

fyi:
The prayer from which this movie borrows its title is a classic 18th-century prayer for children. Back in my younger years, this prayer used to creep me out. Here are three versions:

( Original Version )

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
If I die before I wake;
I pray for God my soul to take.

( One Variation )

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
If I should live for other days,
I pray the Lord to guide my ways.

( Another Variation )

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep;
When in the morning light I wake,
Teach me the path of love to take.

I don't know about you, but I like the two variations better, especially the last one!

If you go around reciting a poem or, as in this case, a psalm, do so correctly. Otherwise, your "version" will just grate on the nerves of those of us who know the particular piece by heart. With this in mind, here's the King James Version of Psalm 23 in its entirety:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of my Lord for ever.

Now, go back to my February 28th, 2010 blog entry on the movie, COP OUT, with Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan. In it, I wrote my version of Psalm 23, calling it, The Shotgun Wedding Psalm. To find it fast, use the search engine on the upper-left corner of this blog and type-in, "The Shotgun Wedding Psalm."

word of advice:
Don't play with "murder" nature.

Don't be a bully.

tidbits:
Before the movie, and even before eating at Wendy's, I went to the nearby CVS Store to buy a bottle of Lecithin capsules and some Oral-B inter-dental tapered refill brushes. I take a capsule of Lecithin whenever I eat a high fat, high cholesterol meal.