Tuesday, November 12, 2013

TWELVE YEARS A SLAVE, R ( 2 hr & 14 min )

-

I went to see this yesterday, Monday, November 11th, 2013, here in Vallejo, CA, at the CENTURY 14 VALLEJO, for the 3:35 p.m. show in auditorium 8, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 10th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $10.25 ( I forgot that it was a holiday, Veterans' Day, and matinee shows ended at 1:00 p.m. ).

Quickie Review: Years before the Civil War, a free black man from New York is sold into slavery. Over the next twelve years, he learns to do what he needs to do just to survive in the hope that he will once again be reunited with his family.

The audience was captivated by it, as was I.

This movie might get an Oscar nod.

Two scenes which were graphically disturbing were the ones of a man hanged from a tree and a woman whipped mercilessly over a small bar of soap! Please don't take your young ones to see this movie.

Students of History will do well to see this movie.

What fascinated me about this movie that depicts this Great Nation's morally reprehensible past was that it was "told" through the eyes of a man who suffered through such gross inequity, how a fellow human being was treated like disposable property at the mercy of a cruel and abusive "owner's" capriciousness.

*************************************************

Now that I'm back from vacation, I will have to revert to doing quickie reviews unless a particular movie calls for the use of my standard format movie review. Since I have other, more pressing, matters to attend to. And I shan't be blogging about very movie that I go see.

Happy belated Veterans' Day! 

If you love your freedom, thank a Vet!
( I found this on the Internet )


*

No comments:

Post a Comment