Monday, March 15, 2010

SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE, R ( 1 hr & 44 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Monday, March 15th, 2010
show: 12:05 p.m. Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee
costs: $6.25 Ticket + $3.75 small Diet/Zero ( w/ Barq's & Cherry flavors ) Coke + $8.93 Lunch ( + $1.07 Tip ) at Empire Chinese Buffet after the show = $20.00
auditorium: 14
seat: 5th row, 7th column

synopsis:
Nerdy beanpole loser, Kirk ( Jay Baruchel ), has the hots for smart blonde hottie, Molly ( Alice Eve ), who's attracted to him. But he's having second thoughts about their fledgling relationship.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) Rehearsing a line for his ex-girlfriend, Marnie ( Lindsay Sloane ); 2.) At his parents' house with Marnie and her new boyfriend ( ? ); 2.) Airport security; 3.) Rude bitch, Patty ( Krysten Ritter ); 4.) Aladdin's magic carpet ride; 5.) Hockey game; 6.) Molly's into you; 7.) Bowling alley; 8.) Honest mistake; 9.) "Rescue" call; 10.) First kiss; 11.) Meeting with Kirk's family; 10.) Slap-shot regatta; 11.) Molly's place; 12.) Marnie; 13.) All it takes is one; 14.) Tarmac; 15.) Fighter plane; 16.) Movie theatre; 17.) "Japanese-looking"; 18.) Prep work; 19.) Helping hand; 20.) Katie's ( Kim Shaw ) 21st Birthday party; 21.) Defect; 22.) Bedroom; 23.) Branson-bound; 24.) Coffee shop; 25.) To the rescue; 26.) "Long" flight; 27.) Delayed; and 28.) Re-union.

audience reaction:
The audience enjoyed this unlikely Rom-Com movie.

recommendation: I liked it, too. Go ahead, indulge your fantasy.

spoiler alert! Since they drank some wine first, couldn't Kirk have used that as an excuse for the wet spot on his pants? But, then again, the situation would have called for some quick thinking on his part. Why does Molly's ex-boyfriend's flight jump-suit have the American flag on the left shoulder? In the US military, the flag is on the right shoulder of the uniform. Kirk's lavatory sink was too low, about as low as a urinal! With the stunts they pulled, all four friends would have eventually gotten themselves fired in real life. And what would Molly think, then, of her unemployed loser-boyfriend, Kirk?

Molly lied--she actually wore underwear! Oh, darn ....

fyi:
Jay Baruchel has an annoying "Ed Sullivan"-type of a whiny voice. And when I look at his face in the movie poster, I think to myself, Hey, a Leprechaun! ( 'Must be the season. )

I couldn't help but notice how Alice Eve looks like a young and slender Anna Nicole Smith. I don't know if you've noticed, but she has two different colored eyes: Her right eye is gray and her left eye is blue. If she were a white cat, with those eyes of hers, she'd probably be a deaf one! ( My family used to have a white cat with different colored eyes, and he was deaf. )

Speaking of Aladdin, soon after Disney's Aladdin movie came out, it was reported in the news that a poster for the movie that was sold in stores had a phallus shown in the background! I and a co-worker went to look at the poster the next day and, sure enough, it had a phallus cleverly disguised as one of the castle's towers. I have to buy one later because this will be a collector's item worth lots of money someday, I told my co-worker before we clocked-in for work. But wouldn't you know it, the poster was removed before I even got a chance to buy it on my lunch break! I should have bought it right away when I still had the chance.

Talk about dysfunctional American family, Kirk's is high on the list!

Is it just me or do all Dodge/Plymouth vehicles, no matter which model, have a problem with body paint peeling-off after just a few years? Because most cars I see on the road with peeling-off paint are Dodge/Plymouth ones.

It looks to me like the screenwriter for this movie, John Morris, has a serious unfulfilled high school fantasy.

In San Francisco, CA, I had an SFSU Co-Ed sit astride my right thigh once. I was worried that she would break my leg because she acted like she was riding a bucking bronco! Yup, she left a mark ... a wet one ( Ahem! ). I think that she marked me as her personal property. Does "Bucking Bronco" sound to you like another perfect name for Cine-Man? Well, what do you think ...?

word of advice:
Dream on!

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

tidbits: I had in mind to see this movie in Fairfield, CA. But I didn't get any sleep the night before so I decided to just see it here in Vallejo, instead. I dozed-off two or three times in the first ten minutes of the show, but I was good-to-go after that.

I wonder how many takes it took for them to get the "dog scene" with Captain Pickles right. Hmm ....

Q: What goes 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1?

A: A "Perfect 10" girl getting old, fat and ugly!