Thursday, August 19, 2010

STEP UP 3-D, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 37 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Thursday, August 19th, 2010
show: 4:55 p.m.
costs: $10.75 Ticket + $5.25 small Popcorn + $4.00 small Diet/Zero ( w/ Barq's & Cherry flavors ) Coke + $6.49 McDonald's value meal # 13 Angus Third Pounder w/ Bacon & Cheese with a small fountain drink of Punch ( my own blend of Lemonade, Orange and Strawberry ) = $26.49
auditorium: 8, with the 3-D screen
seat: 6th row, 10th column

synopsis:
Luke ( Rick Malambri ) is struggling to keep his parents' dance legacy alive and trying to make ends meet as he prepares for the hip-hop world finals. But his problems are compounded by someone who is leaking his team's secret dance moves to their rivals and by a new girl who may or may not have his best interests at heart.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) On-camera interviews with some dancers; 2.) Nike shoes; 3.) Street dance competition; 4.) House; 5.) Natalie ( Sharni Vinson ); 6.) Unfinished business; 7.) Nomad; 8.) Speaker room; 9.) Rehearsal; 10.) Neo-Flies; 11.) Footage; 12.) Best friends; 13.) Red Hook; 14.) Parents' legacy; 15.) Olsen twins; 16.) Culture vultures; 17.) Icee; 18.) GWAI; 19.) Leaked footage; 20.) Brother and sister; 21.) Choice; 22.) Born from a boom box; 23.) Public auction; 24.) Birthday bash; 25.) Surprise news; 26.) Missed date; 27.) Property seizure; 28.) Post card; 29.) "I won't dance"; 30.) Diner; 31.) New recruits; 32.) "I don't have a accent"; 33.) Traitor; 34.) World Jam Finals; 35.) "Go and live your dreams;" 36.) Double major; 37.) Train station; and 38.) Bonus scenes during the Ending Credits.

audience reaction:
None, saved for mine. I was the only one in the audience.

recommendation: I liked this movie. If you're into the aggressive, acrobatic and provocative free-styling moves of Hip-Hop and/or Break-Dancing, this movie is definitely a "must-see" for you.

spoiler alert! How can they get any sleep with all that loud "rehearsal" music playing? As they stood on an air vent where the fan was blowing strong, a brown paper bag at their feet didn't get blown around or off into the air. How was Julien ( Joe Slaughter ) able to keep his "dance world" a secret from a close family member?

fyi:
I wanted to see this last night at the AMC in Emeryville, CA. But I realized that it would cost me more to see it there. This is the reason why I went to see VAMPIRES SUCK last night, instead.

In the "I won't dance" scene, Moose ( Adam G. Sevani ), used someone's hat, and it is exactly like one of the hats that I own.

I loved the "Neo-Fly" studded costumes and the laser lights. And I also loved the scene with the cute little brats doing their flashy dance moves.

I was in Los Angeles, CA, years ago with some of my classmates in acting class. We went there in the hope of being "discovered" at a party attended by some casting agents and talent scouts. Anyway, one of my classmates had a passing facial resemblance to Morgan Fairchild. I danced with her in front of the agents' and scouts' tables. Then, she whispered to me that I should do my Break-Dance. I did a bit of it and got down on the floor to do a legs tucked-in spin as she clapped her hands and voiced her approval, all in an effort to attract attention to us. But I really didn't have any room to extend my legs so that I could spin around more impressively because all the other " hopefuls" were dancing close to the agents' and scouts' tables, too! In short, I failed to impress anyone and got nothing for my trouble other than a serious case of pure embarrassment.

I can't do any of those basic Break-Dance moves anymore because of my joint injuries and because I'm just too heavy now. But looking at all the slim and athletic dancers in this movie may have just inspired me into going back to my once-skinny self since skinny people do look better at dancing.

word of advice: Follow your dream.

tidbits:
After the movie, and after eating at McDonald's Restaurant, I went to CVS Drugstore to buy a Futuro Adjustable Wrist Brace for $7.58 because I strained my right wrist at work two days ago.