Friday, August 6, 2010

THE OTHER GUYS, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 47 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, August 6th, 2010
show: 12:01 a.m. ( Midnight Show )
costs: $10.00 Ticket = $10.00
auditorium: 1
seat: 5th row, 4th seat

synopsis:
Two pencil-pushing NYPD detectives, Gamble and Hoitz ( Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg ), investigating a "scaffolding permit violation", stumble upon what may just be the biggest crime committed in New York City.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) Car chase; 2.) Press conference; 3.) Police precinct; 4.) School of 800-pound tunas; 5.) Counseling; 6.) Desk pop; 7.) Wrecking ball; 8.) The Jump; 9.) Cop fight; 10.) Kidnap; 11.) Toyota Prius; 12.) Crime scene; 13.) Ershon's ( Steve Coogan ) lecture; 14.) Scaffolding permit; 15.) Abduction; 16.) Barefoot; 17.) Police Captain Gene Mauch's ( Michael Keaton ) office; 18.) Hot Wife, Sheila ( Eva Mendes ); 19.) Ex-girlfriend, Christinith's ( Natalie Zea ), house; 20.) Recorded message; 21.) Bar; 22.) Ballet studio; 23.) Sarcastic dancer; 24.) F.B.I.; 25.) Explosion; 26.) College pimp; 27.) Ershon's office; 28.) The bribes; 29.) Ambush; 30.) Freight train; 31.) Whistles; 32.) Dinner conversation; 33.) Dirty Mike ( Adam Mckay ) and The Boys; 34.) Drinking spree; 35.) S.E.C. office; 36.) Jumper; 37.) "Gator needs his gun ..."; 38.) Bed, Bath and Beyond; 39.) Lendl Global; 40.) The hide-out; 41.) Mother-in-Law ( Viola Harris ); 42.) High-speed chase; 43.) Classroom; 44.) Used car lot; 45.) Golf course; 46.) Wire transfer; 47.) Peacock; and 48.) Bonus scene after the Ending Credits.

audience reaction:
The audience loved this parody "Buddy-Cop" Action Flick.

recommendation: I enjoyed this movie, too. Go see it if you're into Comedy and Action Films.

spoiler alert! The front of the car was hit, but I didn't see any steam shooting out from the radiator. If I were the bad guy shooter, I'd keep shooting at the windshield area because there is no way a cop can chase down a get-away car without looking through his windshield. Reckless endangerment of commuters, pedestrians and bus passengers abounded in the opening scene of this movie but at the press conference all that was mentioned was the 12 million dollars' worth of property damage! What about lawsuits? What about suspension and/or job termination? Okay, so we have a car covered in cocaine parked on top of a crime/murder victim--sounds like "Tampering with Evidence" to me! He thinks his wife is plain--is he nuts? When the SUV front-ended the Prius, the airbags didn't get activated. In the office shoot-out, all the bad guys were just standing around. With all the bullets flying around them, Gamble and Hoitz still managed to walk away unscathed. Why didn't the bad guys on stake-out not notice anything suspicious about Li'l Ol' Granny walking back and forth? How did the Prius end-up on the trailer in the used car lot? Just like Hoitz, I don't know the reason for Gamble's sex appeal. Will Ferrell plays like a "one-note" song: Monotonously boring; his approach to almost all of his comedy films is essentially the same. Granted, this movie has some laugh-out-loud scenes, but they were not all with Ferrell as the central character. He needs to broaden his comedic range.

fyi: I loved "The Jump", the Classroom and the Golf Course scenes.

Toyota should change its slogan to: " The best new cars make the worst recall cars."

People in the Philippines have been drinking citrus-flavored tea for as long as I can remember! Arnold Palmer doesn't really deserve the credit for this beverage concoction. Why don't they just call it, Flip ( the derogatory short for, Filipino ) Tea? Wait a minute, I believe that I just answered this question myself! What was I thinking ...?

word of advice:
Watch the Ending Credits for the charts and notes on Ponzi Schemes and Bail-outs.

tidbits: I managed to switch schedules with someone at work so that I was able to leave at 10:30 p.m. and still have plenty of time to catch the midnight show. But not before swinging by the Burger King Restaurant at the Southampton Shopping Center in Benicia to grab a bite to eat. I ate my burger and fries right there in the darkened parking lot, along with a big piece of raw garlic ( I bought a bulb of garlic after clocking-out at work because I have an abscessed gum in the right molar area of my lower jaw and I needed something stronger than Listerine to kill the germs back in there between my cheek and teeth ). I usually can chew up to half a bulb of raw garlic whenever I am eating a lot of meat with no bad reaction whatsoever. But, tonight, even half a piece of the garlic was almost too much for me as it gave me a painful burning sensation in the affected/infected gum area and forced me to shed some tears, too! I had to "man-up" just to finish that one, single, solitary, lonely piece of garlic. Boy! that garlic sure helped to alleviate my condition--but I have until next Tuesday morning before I can be seen by my periodontist again. I hope that I can wait that long.

I swear, after I see my periodontist, I shall employ a more aggressive, pro-active approach to my oral hygiene.

newsflash! My DINNER FOR SCHMUCKS blog last Friday was posted the following day on a famous British comedian's fan club website: David Walliams News Newspage. David Walliams plays the part of the Swiss client, Mueller, in the movie. To be truthful, I never even heard of him before; and as I was watching his scenes in the movie, I was convincing myself that I was actually looking at a slimmed-down, face-lifted Val Kilmer sporting bleached-blond hair. Ha, ha, ha. Anyway, he is famous "across the pond" for his comedy show, LITTLE BRITAIN. You can watch segments of it on YouTube. HBO also has him in the American version: LITTLE BRITAIN USA, the British parody of anything and everything American. Of the British version, I like the Lou & Andy sketches. Of the American version, I like the Mark & Tom sketches. If you've never seen LITTLE BRITAIN, you've got to go to YouTube and check it out!

I should thank you, David Walliams and your fan club, for posting my blog on your website. So, my heart-felt "Thank You" goes out to you! If you are ever in need of fresh ideas for your Comedy Sketches, just let me know by following my blog so that we can e-mail each other. ( The same goes for you, too, Nicolas Cage. )