Sunday, August 29, 2010

TAKERS, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 47 min )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Sunday, August 29th, 2010
show: 7:30 p.m.
costs: $9.75 Ticket + $4.00 small Diet/Zero Coke = $13.75
auditorium: 13
seat: 5th row, 8ht column

synopsis: Jack Welles ( Matt Dillon ), a worked-obsessed cop and Eddie Hatcher ( Jay Hernandez ), his bills-laden partner, go on the hunt for a team of professional bank robbers.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Botched bust; 2.) Bank robbery; 3.) Helicopter; 4.) The get-away; 5.) Free man; 6.) Proposal; 7.) Yacht harbor; 8.) Intruder; 9.) Unexpected guest; 10.) "We're takers; 11.) Disabled vehicle; 12.) C-4; 13.) Russians; 14.) Blood trail; 15.) Public works project; 16.) Pictures; 17.) "Peace out" gang sign; 18.) License number; 19.) "Sip from cup of instruction"; 20.) Interrogation; 21.) "Second time in two days"; 22.) Internal Affairs video; 23.) Officer on duty; 24.) Armored truck; 25.) Pershing Street; 26.) Foot chase; 27.) Kitchen; 28.) Roosevelt Hotel; 29.) Rival gang gun battle; 30.) Victim of execution; 31.) Gordon's apartment; 32.) Private jet; 33.) The stand-off; and 35.) "All signs point to it."

audience reaction: The audience seemed to be entertained by it.

recommendation: It's more or less your typical bank heist movie, but executed with style by male fashion model-wannabes who are being hunted down by a couple of good-looking cops, as well. If this is your "cup of tea", then go see it.

spoiler alert! Don't news reporters these days carry cellphones? Don't helicopters have tracking devices? Don't police helicopters patrol metropolitan areas? I wouldn't walk away casually if I were that close to an exploding helicopter! Couldn't he follow a simple blood trail without getting blind-sided? With all those bullets flying around during the intense shoot-out in a downtown metropolitan area, the director should have at least shown some fleeting images of buildings, or whatever, being hit because there would sure to be some collateral damage as a necessary result. In the foot chase, I found it hard to believe that Jesse ( Chris Brown ) could outrun the cop's sweeping gunshots. I don't know how Ghost ( Tip "T. I." Harris ) figured-out the combination to the secret safe ( or where to find it ) in such a short time.

fyi: My family had a cat, Coki, who died of cancer. I was trying to feed Coki some baby food when he passed away in my hands. I tried to close his eyes but couldn't. It sure isn't like in the movies where an actor's eyes can be closed easily after that actor's character "dies" on-screen.

word of advice: Never stray from your "tried and true" plan.

Even if you ride a bicycle, you are still not exempt from the rules of the road, i.e. don't go against the flow of traffic, don't ride on the sidewalk, don't run a red light, etc.

tidbits: Lucky triceps! At work today, a female co-worker walked-up to me and accidentally bumped her left breast against my right triceps. And at the concessions area beside the soda fountain, some girl accidentally bumped her right breast against my left triceps.

When Gordon's ( Idris Elba ) character got out of bed in his tight boxer shorts, some guy seated three chairs to my right made some sound of "admiration/appreciation" at the scene. No wonder his girlfriend ( ? ), seated two chairs to my right, accidentally bumped into me at the concessions area before the show--my triceps, alone, are manlier than her "boyfriend"! Yup ....

The guy seated immediately to my left noticed me taking notes in the dark. I usually sit close to the screen to avoid being noticed doing my movie note-taking. But I was just out of luck this time because many people, mostly teens and young adults, showed up for the movie.

At the end of the movie, the two guys to my left asked each other, "Who shot the cop?" I think that it was Ghost who did. But, to be honest, it all happened in "a blink of an eye" so I am inclined to ask the same question, too.

I went to the Chevron gas station on Redwood Street. I got there at around 9:44 p.m. and the lights were already off, and a clerk inside the building was already locking the front door. So, I was forced to do the unthinkable: I went to the Union 76 gas station down the next block for some gas. As I've said before, I only put Chevron gas in my cars. But I was running very low on gas--I didn't stop for gas before going to see this movie because I didn't want to be late for the show--and the next Chevron gas station is further down the road by at least two miles ( which is just two unnecessarily further miles away from my home route).

attention: It is getting closer and closer to the Annual Weblog Awards. Please select from all my posts for this year and take the time to nominate one of my blogs--whichever one happens to be your favorite--in the following categories: Best Entertainment Weblog, Most Humorous Weblog, Best-Kept Secret Weblog and/or Best New Weblog. Thank you.