Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ARTHUR, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 50 min )


where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Sunday, April 10th, 2011
show:  10:30 p.m.
costs:  $9.75 Ticket = $9.75
auditorium:  1
seat:  4th row, 6th column

synopsis/overview:   A spoiled, irresponsible and childish only-child, Arthur ( Russell Brand ), gets by in his daily affairs with the help of  his money and nanny, Hobson ( Helen Mirren ).  But when Fate gives him a very rude awakening, he sobers up quick  to decide  which is of more value to him: Love or Money.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Caped cruise-saders; 2.) Wall Street Bull; 3.) "Ship without anchor"; 4.) Out on bail; 5.) "That's my purse"; 6.) "Lesbian Simon & Garfunkel"; 7.) "You're  missing your Asian you"; 8.) Scandalous news photos; 9.) Cut-off; 10.) Wedding ring; 11.) Auction; 12.) The tour guide, Naomi ( Greta Gerwig ); 13.) Identification; 14.) "I'll bite your other ear off"; 15.) "Gay club"; 16.) The new office; 17.) Dinner with Susan ( Jennifer Garner ); 18.) "An engagement is a promise"; 19.) Pez dinner; 20.) Whisper Wall; 21.) Home-cooked dinner; 22.)  Engagement photos; 23.) Surprise guest; 24.) "Did you kill a mouse or did she surrender it willingly"; 25.) In-house theatre; 26.) "You're now in an area of my expertise"; 27.) Frog & Toad; 28.) "Don't let this undermine what I just said"; 29.) The new hire; 30.)  "In order to do this, I may have to be a bit sober"; 31.) Alcoholics Anonymous meeting; 32.) "Trapped by the money"; 33.) Dance lesson; 34.) Manuscript; 35.) "Little Orphan Annie as a man"; 36.) "He's stronger than you think"; 37.) Bridal shower; 38.) "If there's one thing an old woman can recognize, it's a young man in love"; 39.) Incoming call; 40.) "Wash your winky"; 41.) Hospital; 42.) "I like earning something"; 43.) "Please let me look after you"; 44.) "I didn't want you to feel bad.  I want you to feel bad"; 45.)  "Today's your wedding day"; 46.) At the church; 47.) Christmas present from Hobson; 48.) Second Alcoholics Anonymous meeting; 49.) New York Public Library; and 50.)  "A fleet of  movie cars."

audience reaction:  There were about a dozen in attendance.  And they were somewhat entertained by this movie.

recommendation:  This movie is So-So.  You might want to wait for this to come out as a rental.

spoiler alert!  With the economy as bad as it is, it's very hard for me to vicariously empathize with,  relate to, or show an interest in  a very wealthy character who is an irresponsible, childish, socially inept and perpetually inebriated wastrel.  Arthur remarked that he hasn't  had  coins  in many years yet he was able to produce a penny when asked by a cop.  Wouldn't it have been better for his prospective father-in-law, Burt Johnson ( Nick Nolte ), to simply clasp his hands together for Arthur to put his foot on in order to get up on the horse instead of the "come-from-behind-then-up-the-crotch" maneuver?  And if you couple this peculiarity with the fact that voyeuristic Burt was building an office with a telescope aimed at Arthur's penthouse, you have the makings of  an homoerotic menage a troisI'm surprised that the commuters didn't create a riot!  He would have been fired right there and then for drinking on the job.  Whoever ends up marrying him will not only end-up with tons of  money but with lots of  STDs as well because no amount of  washing his "winky" will get him sexually "clean"!  Ha, ha, ha--snort!

fyi:  When I took my white Geo Metro to the local Earl Scheib Auto Paint Shop here in Vallejo, CA, two years ago for a touch-up paint job, the service adviser told me that I just missed seeing the Batmobile--the very same one shown in this movie--by about a month.  He said that a truck drove it to their shop for some paint work.  I really don't know whether or not he was telling me the truth.  After all, whoever it was who made the Batmobile in the first place, I'm sure, was more than capable of  handling its paint job needs.  And Earl Scheib's paint jobs  are mediocre at best and their paints are of  cheap quality!  ( The best that  my  money could buy, unfortunately. )  But I'm just telling you what the guy told me.

I forgot to write down Naomi's 'phone number.  Darn it!

I covet Arthur's bed!  Oh, how I would love to have a bed just like that.  You see, I sleep with a half-inch thick 4" x 6" magnet tucked under my pillow each night.  It helps me to get a restful sleep when I'm not caffeinated.

Did you know that Magnet Therapy is recommended for bone spurs and arthritis?  It works, but only if  you  use  magnets with a very strong Gauss rating.  It even inhibits the growth of warts.  This kind of  therapy works  because Blood has Hemoglobin in it.  The Iron in Hemoglobin forces the Red Blood Cells to get  attracted to the magnet and make them linger in the magnetized area longer so the area gets more nutrients and more repair work done to it--plain and simple.  Oh, before I forget,  only have the North side of  a  Magnet touch your body.  Why?  Because the North side is the side that puts in, not draws out, magnetic energy.

A magnet placed on a wound will make it heal faster, and with less scarring.

And you may want to try Magnetic Qi Gong.  But don't let its simplicity fool you.  It is actually The Best  form of Qi Gong ever developed, in my opinion!  I would know because I've done it.

Pepe Le Pew is one of my favorite cartoon characters.  My # 1 favorite is Daffy Duck.

Helen Mirren's character, Hobson, said, "Spoiler alert!" in  the theatre auditorium  scene.  Is it because  of  the fact that I blogged about her last year and she happened upon it and liked it?  Sheer speculation, perhaps.  But, who knows ....  Hey, maybe she can get me into Hollywood.  ( I'll be grateful.  Ahem! )

I had a co-worker who drank a big bottle of  beer on his break period in the parking lot!  Of course, he got fired.  Duh ....

Was that a PRINCE OF PERSIA ad in the newspaper that Arthur was reading?

Did you know that lifelong  alcoholics suffer  no Hairloss?  Of course, they pickle their Livers and kill their Brain Cells in the process but, hey! they each get to keep a headful  of  hair when they die.  Nice ....

word of advice:  Money cannot  buy you love, but it can buy you lots of  fun stuff.  So, enjoy it while you can.

Don't take things for granted.

tidbits:  After I got out of work and before the movie started, I had close to an hour-and-a-half time to dilly-dally with.  So, I went to the local MacDonald's Restaurant to have a # 2 meal.  And I also bought  a Mickey D promo toy for the upcoming movie, RIO; I got the skateboarding one.  And since I still had enough time, I swung by the Admiral Callahan Lane Safeway in Vallejo, CA, to buy two 2 litre bottles of  Refreshe diet soda, a plain one and a zero kind.

I have five pieces of  fried chicken just sitting in my fridge for over a week now, just waiting to get eaten.  I figure that I have  better get on with it before all the pieces go to waste--it would be a shame to think that at least two chickens out there somewhere sacrificed their lives for nothing!

I planned on eating the chicken pieces with rice and ketchup after I got home from seeing this movie.   But I was completely out of  ketchup--and I forgot to get some ketchup packets at MacDonald's.  So, today turned out to  be a perfect day for me to try out a quick, simple and easy ketchup recipe that I've kept in the back-burner of my mind for at least a year now.   Here are the ingredients:

One 8 oz. can of  Tomato Sauce
1/3  cup of  Vinegar ( distilled white vinegar is preferable )
2 tablespoons of  White Sugar
plus, a sprinkling of  Salt, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder ( these last three are really just optional )

Heat at medium-high in a ceramic, glass or porcelain pan ( metal pans react with the acids in the tomato sauce and the vinegar ).  Heat to a rapid boil while stirring the mixture with a wooden ( preferred--again, because of the acids ) spoon.  Lower the heat and simmer the mixture while continuing on with the stirring.  Cook for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is in the consistency of  Ketchup.  Remove from heat and let cool.  Presto!  There, you have it:  Your  very own home-made Ketchup!  Yippee.  Now go brag about it 'cause you've earned it.  ( I'll teach you how to make mayonnaise next time. )

Ketchup is actually a European interpretation of  a Chinese fish sauce called, Ke-tsiap.  Tried  as hard as they could, the Europeans couldn't get the recipe down right--something got LOST IN TRANSLATION.  So, the Europeans just threw up their hands in resignation and said, "Let's leave well enough alone and do such a major marketing blitz on it that our Ketchup will bomb Ke-tsiap into culinary oblivion!"  And the rest, as they say, is History.  Of course, I could be wrong  about  what really went down in the annals of  History.  But I like my story just fine.  So, let's leave well enough alone.  Shall we ...?

Special  Announcement:   I would like to take this moment  to thank and welcome my readers from  Albania,  Bulgaria, Indonesia, Romania and Thailand.


And to one and all, Please Keep Reading My Weekly Updates.  Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment