Thursday, May 23, 2013

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 12 min )

-

 1st time

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, May 17th, 2013
show: 11:40 a.m. 2-D ( Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs: $6.75 Ticket + $4.50 1-litre Dasani Water = $12.25
auditorium: 7
seat: 6th row ( counting from the front ), 5th column ( counting from the left )

She's hot!
-

2nd time

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Monday, May 20th, 2013
show: 10:50 a.m. 3-D ( Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs: $10.25 Ticket = $10.25
auditorium: 8
seat: 5th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left )


He's just a guy.
-

3rd time

where: AMC METREON in San Francisco, CA
when: Monday, May 20th, 2013
show: 7:15 p.m. ETX ATMOS 3-D
costs: $17.50 Ticket + $14.41 hamburger dinner @ Mel's Diner ( plus $1.00 Tip ) + $8.20 BART Train Round-trip Ticket + $5.00 Carquinez Bridge Toll Fee = $46.11 ( what was that I said about budgeting my money ...? )
auditorium: 13, 3rd floor
seat: 3rd row ( counting from the front ), 10th column ( counting from the left )

She's hot, too!
-

4th time

where: EDWARD FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013
show: 10:15 p.m. I-MAX 3-D
costs: $18.00 Ticket + $4.75 small 32 oz Fruit Punch + $7.00 medium Popcorn ( my dinner ) = $29.75
auditorium: 12
seat: 4th row ( counting from the front ), 6th seat ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview:  A bad guy ( Benedict Cumberbatch ) boldly goes and does what no one has done before: Blow-up innocent people. And it is up to Capt. Kirk ( Chris Pine ) and his crew to put a stop to it.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Volcano; 2.) Prime Directive; 3.) "They saw us"; 4.) "I can save her"; 5.) "'Pointy,' is that a derogatory reference"; 6.) "Never trust a Vulcan"; 7.) "You're not ready for it"; 8.) Bomb; 9.) First Officer; 10.) "I'm gonna miss you"; 11.) Attack at Headquarters; 12.) Klingon territory; 13.) Reinstatement; 14.) Resignation; 15.) "Oh, my god. What is that even like"; 16.) Secret identity; 17.) "Unclear"; 18.) "Remind me never to piss you off"; 19.) Argument; 20.) Klingons in pursuit; 21.) Shoot-out; 22.) Surrender; 23.) Coordinates; 24.) "When it became relevant"; 25.) "Turn around"; 26.) 'Phone call; 27.) "Jim, you're gonna want to see this"; 28.) Three hundred years old; 29.) "I responded in kind"; 30.) "We both know who it is"; 31.) "Well ... sh*t, you talked to him"; 32.) "I was never gonna spare your crew"; 33.) "Beam me out"; 34.) Option; 35.) "The enemy of my enemy is my friend"; 36.) "Gut feeling"; 37.) "I'm running. Stand by"; 38.) "Bedside manner"; 39.) "Welcome aboard"; 40.) "At great costs"; 41.) "You should have let me sleep"; 42.) "No ship should go done without her captain"; 43.) Torpedoes; 44.) Popsicles; 45.) "The decontamination process is not complete"; 46.) "Right now, I'm failing"; 47.) "Confirmed"; 48.) "He's our only chance"; 49.) "Are you feeling homicidal"; and 50.) "It's nice to have a family."

audience reaction:  The audience really liked this and gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending. A little old white lady, upon exiting the auditorium said to her companion, "It was a great movie."

2nd audience reaction: The audience was not as receptive to this show as the first audience was.

3rd audience reaction: This San Francisco crowd was as receptive to the show as the first one was.

4th audience reaction: This Fairfield crowd, a dozen or so in number, was not receptive to the show.

recommendation:  I liked it. I think that it's better than the first one. Go see this movie whether or not you're a Star Trek fan.

spoiler alert! According to the late Zecharia Sitchin, Nibiru is the planet where the Assyrian Gods who created humans come from, but this movie posits an atavistic devolution of the alien race both intellectually and culturally. When Capt. Kirk stunned that creature, why didn't the aborigines catch up to him? The USS Enterprise sat in deep water, so deep as to render it undetectable to the aborigines on land. In other words, it was not resting on a continental shelf but, rather, AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN! Therefore, Capt. Kirk and Dr. Bones ( Karl Urban ) had to dive very deep to get back into the ship. But how were they able to dive so deep and still be able to survive unprotected under all of that water pressure? The setting for this movie is the year 2259 A.D. And, yet, that alarm clock looked like it was from the Art Deco period of the 1920s and 1930s. That St. Bernard dog was in all probability a male dog because it sniffed at the woman's breast. Ha, ha, ha. They still play vinyl records 246 years from now? Why didn't the bad guy just use a bomb when he attacked the Headquarters? It sure took long for the bad guy's ship's intake duct to get clogged-up! The bad guy was genetically-enhanced to be a super-soldier; that would mean that his bones would be harder than regular human bones. Therefore, Capt. Kirk's fist would have been broken from all of that punching that he did to the face of the bad guy. Carol Marcus ( Alice Eve ) looked like she was wearing underwear from the 1980s---I really expected to see her in a set of bra and panties equipped with an activated "cloaking device" ( i.e. very see-through; after all, Star Trek is famous for its cloaking devices--ha, ha, ha ) that could be removed at "warp speed"---Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha--snort! ( Now, where was I ... ) The 'phone conversation between Capt. Kirk and Scotty ( Simon Pegg ) should have had very long pauses in-between because I really don't think that telecommunication signals can travel at "warp speed". Okay, so Scotty resigned. In which case, his security clearance and access codes would have been deactivated. Therefore, he should not have been able to gain access to a Star Fleet space shuttle so readily. So, they're telling us that these super-soldiers were cryogenically frozen back in 1994 ( assuming an average age of 35 years  for the frozen crew ). Or, did they mean, 2094? But they had an idiot with poor math skills do the simple, basic computation. If they took him out of the cryogenic state to exploit his intellect, wouldn't his designs for war weaponry and war technology be approximately 265 years obsolete---Maybe, they brought him up to speed ( warp speed, that is ) on the latest advances in war weaponry and war technology to get him going.  It's very reassuring to know that they still say, "Sh*t," 246 years from now! After spinning around and around, why didn't Capt. Kirk get dizzy? The young Spock has brown eyes, the old Spock has blue eyes; explain, please .... Okay, major mistake here: We humans don't breathe Oxygen; it that were so, people who smoke cigarette, cigar and/or marijuana would be instantly burned to death the very first time that they light one up! Why do the seats in the USS Enterprise not have head rests? The scene immediately after Capt. Kirk got inside the radioactive warp core shows Sulu ( John Cho ) without his seat belt on ( don't blink or you'll miss it like I did the first and third time that I went to see this movie ). The USS Enterprise was spinning around and tumbling in space yet the Tribble stayed put on that desk in the medical room. Injecting a small blood sample into a host's necrotic tissue wouldn't regenerate the host at all because there are just too many factors to consider that involve the anatomy and physiology of the complex host organism. It took Scotty just one shot from his "Phaser set on stun" to knock-down the bad guy; but Uhura ( Zoe Saldana ) shot him seven ( 7 ) times and he still didn't get knocked down---Maybe, her Phaser was set on tickle! Ha, ha, ha. That bad guy was supposed to be a super-soldier, but you wouldn't think that from watching him fight in unarmed combat---And he had plenty of opportunity to break Spock's bones or blind him but, instead, he got his arm broken and his ass whopped by Spock.

fyi:  It is nice to know that there are native aborigines out there who aren't necessarily colored-skin. Ha, ha, ha. Notably, the aborigines in this movie reminded me of the "Cargo Cult", an aborigine tribe that was exposed to the ways of the western world up-close for the very first time during WWII.

'Notice how Capt. Kirk grew tired punching the bad guy? That was a very realistic depiction. In a real--let me repeat, REAL--fight, you get tired fast. And real fights generally last for just a few seconds, tops!

word of advice: Don't ever piss-off a Vulcan!

tidbits: After the movie, on my way to work, some bitch in a white SUV made a right turn onto the Redwood Street on-ramp even though the drivers making a left turn onto the on-ramp had the right-of-way. She tried to drive me off the road; but I didn't yield. That woman driver thought that she could intimidate me with her big SUV. I would have loved for her to have broadsided my Hyundai Accent so that I could sue the bitch.

2nd tidbits: I went to Goin' Postal in the Food Maxx Shopping Center on the corner of Tuolumne and Redwood Streets to drop-off some bill payments before I went to see this movie.

3rd tidbits: I didn't just imagine it after all. There actually is an all-you-can-eat Chinese Buffet Restaurant near the corner of Geary and Kearny Streets in the San Francisco Financial District!

Do you remember this place from last month's blog?
-

Here is photographic proof that I didn't suffer from a hunger-induced mirage! Their lunch buffet is from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. I will be sure to check-out this place soon. Dang, I'm hungry already ....
-

This is where I had my hamburger dinner prior to seeing this movie for the 3rd time. It is on Mission Street, near the corner of 4th Street. It's practically just across the street from the AMC Metreon. I ordered "The Famous Melburger" with Cheese ( I got charged $1.00 extra for the cheese--jeez ), Onion Rings and Coleslaw. My opinion of their food is that it is just average but expensive. I'll eat at the Denny's Restaurant across the street next time. 
-

There were two reasons why I went to see this movie for the 3rd time at the AMC Metreon: 

First, it was rush-hour commute traffic and I didn't want to ride in a standing-room only BART Train on my way back to the El Cerrito Del Norte BART Station where I parked my car. 

Second, I was curious about the ETX  ATMOS 3-D technology and wanted to check it out. It has better sound quality than either a regular 3-D or an I-Max 3-D. Picture quality-wise, it's about on-par with an I-Max. So, now you know ....

4th tidbits: Today at work, as soon as I clocked back in from my lunch period, I experienced an upset stomach.  And for the next 2 hours and 15 minutes before I took my last break I was in pain and did my darnedest best to "hold it in." I don't have to tell you what I had to do on my last break!

Since I saw this movie in 2-D, 3-D and ETX ATMOS 3-D, I might as well see it in I-Max 3-D, I convinced myself.

At the box office, I learned that I got a $2.00 discount on the Mini Pancakes that they now offer at the concessions counter. I went to the concessions counter to try it out. But, wouldn't you know it, they didn't have any in stock! What a rip-off. I ended-up shelling $7.00 for a medium Popcorn. Well, at least, it took care of my what-am-I-having-for-dinner-tonight question!

note: In case you guys are wondering .... I'm still busy writing my manuscript for a children's book. I'm on chapter 12 now. It will be 17 chapters long with an epilogue once I'm finished with it. And, like I said, it is very funny and I really enjoy writing it. My muse ( Buddha's blessing? ) has me on hyper-drive and I don't want to let go of it until it's over, the reason why it took me this long to blog about Star Trek.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment