Monday, May 30, 2016

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 23 min )

-

where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Thursday, May 26th, 2016
show:  7:55 p.m. 3-D
costs:  $15.00 Ticket + $$6.05 small Buttered Popcorn + $2.20 ( $2.00-Off discount offer on my movie watcher e-mail reward coupon ) small Powerade Mountain Berry Blast + $4.15 Beef Jerky = $27.40
auditorium:  1
seat:  4th row from the front, 7th column from the right

2nd time


-

where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Sunday, May 29th, 2016
show:  7:15 p.m. 2-D
costs:  $8.00 Ticket + $6.05 small Buttered Popcorn + $2.20 ( $2.00-Off discount offer on my movie watcher e-mail reward coupon ) small Powerade Mountain Berry Blast + $4.15 Beef Jerky = $20.40
auditorium:  7
seat:  4th row from the front, 8ht column from the left

synopsis/overview:  An ancient, godlike mutant, Apocalypse ( Oscar Isaac ), is awakened from his long-dormant state and proceeds to recruit four enhanced mutants to help him destroy the world and create a new one from its ashes. The X-Men stand oppose to him and his nefarious plan.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Sabotage; 2.) School men's room; 3.) Cage fight; 4.) "Favorite tree"; 5.) Secret tunnel; 6.) Earthquake; 7.) "She looks amazing"; 8.) Arrow; 9.) Shoplifter; 10.) "Yes, I looked her up once--twice"; 11.) "Does he have a husband"; 12.) The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse; 13.) TV; 14.) "Caliban ( Tomas Lemarquis ) knows everything"; 15.) Ruby lens eyeglasses; 16.) "Not blue ... I'm blue"; 17.) "What do you want"; 18.) Prison break; 19.) "I want to give you something"; 20.) "Who do f-ck are you"; 21.) Auschwitz Concentration Camp; 22.) "'Sure you weren't watching this"; 23.) "The CIA would kill for this"; 24.) "Now, we'll take everything from them"; 25.) "The Answer"; 26.) "No more weapons"; 27.) "All will be revealed, my child"; 28.) Blast rescue; 29.) "Alex ( Lucas Till ) was closest to the blast"; 30.) Abduction; 31.) "Whatever good you saw in me, Charles ( James McAvoy ), I buried it with my family"; 32.) "Is that gonna happen to us"; 33.) "He's my father"; 34.) Amplified message; 35.) Weapon-X; 36.) "That's the last we'll see of that guy"; 37.) "Center of the Universe"; 38.) Warplane; 39.) "A gift from the past"; 40.) The X-Men; 41.) "To be everywhere, to be everyone"; 42.) "You have more family than you know"; 43.) "We're still connected"; 44.) Quicksilver vs. Apocalypse; 45.) Disguise; 46.) "You want to feel what I feel"; 47.) X-shaped barrier; 48.) "You will never win"; 49.) "Unleash your power"; 50.) "All is revealed"; 51.) Beach; 52.) The rebuilding; 53.) "Me, too"; 54.) "You can ... do anything"; 55.) Sentinels; and 56.) Bonus Scene after the Ending Credits.

favorite scene:  I liked the scene wherein Quicksilver ( Evan Peters ) was beating the crap out of Apocalypse.

audience reaction:  Both groups of audiences liked this movie but neither one gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation:  I liked this movie. Go see it if you a Marvel Comics fan in particular or if you like superhero movies in general.

spoiler alert!  Those hewn stones slid down very smoothly as they went crashing through barriers and posts when, in reality, debris would have accumulated in front of each hewn stone and would have eventually slowed them down or even stopped them altogether. The flashlight which Moira ( Rose Byrne ) used in the tunnel is not right for the period: It didn't cast a yellow light with a dark area in the center, and it shone too brightly. It was wrong that Apocalypse referred to himself as, Elohim. Elohim is plural, El is singular. Quicksilver moved those people so fast that each moment he stopped just as quickly would have been enough to kill each rescued person; no human /mutant body's internal organs would have been able to withstand such G-Forces especially at Terminal Velocity! If Quicksilver could move that fast, he would burst into flames from the intense frictional heat that his body's movements would generate. The old sunken ship's funnel should have been filled with sand and mud. The bridge was shaking and being ripped in half but the people on the bridge ran away without falling down---Didn't this movie's director and/or CGI team read my HARRY POTTER blog which had a similar "shaky bridge" scene? Mystique ( Jennifer Lawrence ) should have been easily able to get out of Apocalypse's one-handed stranglehold.

fyi:  The scene with Magneto ( Michael Fassbender ) and the police officers could have been made funny had I been the one tasked with writing that particular scene: I would have had some cops with partial dentures ( i.e., crowns and bridges ) included in the group! Ha, ha, ha.

Psylocke ( Olivia Munn ) looks hot in this movie--ahem!

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR was more entertaining.

word of advice:  Supernatural powers can either be blessings or curses.

tidbits:  I ate my popcorn at the start of the movie. Then, I decided to switch to eating my bag of beef jerky. But I decided to finish my popcorn first. It was then that my bag of beef jerky fell to the floor and spilled all over! What a waste of food that was!

2nd tidbits:  I bought the same exact things at the concessions counter because I was determined to finish a whole bag of beef jerky first before I dig into my bag of popcorn---Mission accomplished! 

After the movie, I decided to jog back to my car which I parked approximately 75 yards/meters away. I did this because I needed to know how my unbraced bad left knee and my bad left foot would hold up to the stress. They seemed to handle the pavement pounding well enough. I haven't jogged/hiked on a regular basis for the last 13 months since I slipped down an embankment when I went trail-hiking at a local park and strained my already bad left knee; and my left foot's instep pained me for the better part of last month and well into this month. I'll try a little bit of hiking and jogging in the next few days and see how that goes.

Please enjoy your Memorial Day Celebration responsibly!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment