Friday, April 13, 2018

SUBEDAR JOGINDER SINGH, NR ( 2 hr & 19 min )

-

I went to see this movie's 10:25 p.m. showing yesterday, Thursday, April 12th, 2018, at the Century Hilltop 16 in Richmond, CA, in auditorium 13, row 6, seat 8. The price of admission was $11.50. And I bought a 20 oz. Dasani Water for $4.25 at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review:  A military officer, with experience in two previous wars, is recalled into active duty in 1962 during the Sino-India Border War. Heavily outnumbered, he and his men achieve martyrdom in the field of battle. Subedar Singh was posthumously awarded India's Highest Wartime Gallantry Award.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I went to see this upon the recommendation of Taj Grill Restaurant's proprietor here in Vallejo, CA, when I went to have lunch there the day before, on Wednesday. I had mentioned to him that I recently saw SAJJAN SINGH RANGROOT. That was when he told me to go check-out SUBEDAR JOGINDER SINGH.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed in this movie.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What's wrong with this movie?  The battle, as depicted, left much to be desired. I really don't know how it unfolded in real life; but the way it was depicted in this movie did not make sense. The Indian Army had the advantage as they were on top of a hill. But they didn't take advantage of that for these reasons: Their trenches were not built properly; by this, I mean that small "portholes" should have been built into the walls to afford the shooters with better head protection; there were no snipers posted; they were not spread out; the two times that the Chinese soldiers retreated, they should have appropriated the dead soldiers' rifles, grenades and ammunition since their ammunition was in short supply.

But the glaring error was the fact that this movie showed Subedar Singh fighting to the death. When, in reality, he was critically wounded, captured, and taken to Tibet as a p.o.w. where he died from his wounds.

The Chinese, out of respect for the Indian hero, returned his ashes to his homeland when India awarded Subedar Singh with the highest military honors.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Before the movie started, I wanted to have dinner at the nearby McDonald's Restaurant. But it closed at 9:00 p.m. I scanned the whole shopping center to see if there was another restaurant open late at night. That was when I spotted Me n Ed's Pizza Parlor across the parking lot.

-

I should have worn my jacket, instead of my vest, when I walked two hundred yards from the theatre to the restaurant.   ðŸ˜•

I had a sandwich and a fountain drink. I forget how much I paid for both.

P.S. I liked SAJJAN SINGH RANGROOT better--except for the "British" lady with her bad English accent.     ðŸ˜†

-

No comments:

Post a Comment