Friday, February 4, 2011

SANCTUM, R ( 1 hr & 43 min )


where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Friday, February 4th, 2011
show:  2:15 p.m.
costs:  $11.00 Ticket + $5.00 large Cherry Icee = $16.00
auditorium:  8, with the 3-D screen
seat:  5th row, 10th column

synopsis/overview:  Cave explorers are trapped when a storm turns into a cyclone and their only way out is blocked.   With the water rising, they must find a way out of the watery maze or die trying.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Esa-ala Caves; 2.) "Her heart's not in the dive"; 3.) "Likes to play by his own rules"; 4.) "Looks like a cathedral"; 5.) Tragedy; 6.) "The coms [ communication links ] are down"; 7.) Cyclone; 8.) Kill; 9.) Crash course; 10.) Hypothermia; 11.) "There are no rescues down here"; 12.) Coughed blood; 13.) Tourist shots; 14.) "The best climber we have"; 15.) Hair; 16.) Left behind; 17.) "You remind me of me"; 18.) Bat shit; 19.) Poetry; 20.) Indiglo watch; 21.) "I can see you"; 22.) Amphibious tank; 23.) Meeting-up again; 24.) Fight; 25.) "I don't want this to take too long"; and 26.) The way out.

audience reaction:  Mild, at least.

recommendation:  I liked the movie as I'm fascinated by subterranean water systems, and the story is good enough.  But I would think twice, if I were you, before plunking down  my  hard-earned money for the I-Max 3-D version.  This movie should play well-enough even in the 2-D version.

spoiler alert!  This movie is inspired by a true event in which none got killed.

They knew a storm was coming.  Still, they didn't pack-up and leave.  Why couldn't he just have reattached the hose to the rebreather?  The vertical wall had obvious footholds.  Why didn't she just pull herself up instead of using her knife?    How was the Indiglo watch able to light-up the area behind them?  You would think that those rocks would be slippery ( hence, hard to climb ) from millions of years' worth of moisture.  Those cuts and bruises would get easily infected by bat guano.  Why didn't they  check to see if the battle tank still had live ammunition in it which they could  use to shoot at  the sinkhole's dome-shaped ceiling  to widen the hole, to lessen the dome's arch  and for it to pile-up dirt and stone along its wall for them to climb up on?  Why didn't he just let the other guy burn instead of pushing him into  the water?  I can't believe that the cyclone only created one piece of  debris:  a tiny piece of a palm frond.  The water became clear too soon--Hell, no! not after a cyclone.

fyi:  Back when my family lived in Matina, Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines, I had the experience of walking across the Davao Bridge, after school, on many occasions.  And on some of these occasions, it was on a day or even two days after a heavy rain.  The Davao River water would still be brown even then.  What I'm getting at is that the underwater river should have been brown, not clear, all that time!

On February 26, 1993, in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center,  a bomb went off at 17 minutes past noon.  As people were evacuating down the darkened staircase, a man at the head of the group had the idea of using his Indiglo watch to guide the others into safely navigating the staircase.  Later on, Timex ( the owner of Indiglo ) came up with a TV ad in which New York City was suddenly without power until the Statue of Liberty used her Indiglo watch to sweep light across the city.  It was kind of a tasteless ad--even before 9/11--if you ask me.

word of advice:   Always listen to the voice of experience.

Don't go unprepared on a strange, new adventure.

tidbits:  I had an oil change for my Geo Metro first thing this morning.  I was the first customer at the Jiffy Lube shop.  I went to the MacDonald's Restaurant next door for a quick breakfast while waiting for the oil change.  It was all finished halfway through my meal.

I went to the Chevron gas station on Redwood Road after the oil change to get $3.19 worth of  gas and to buy  a Contra-Costa Newspaper ( $0.81 ) and $7.00 worth of  lottery tickets.

I went home to write-out a couple of bill payments.  I switched cars and took my Hyundai Accent to the Marine World Parkway Chevron gas station for $10.50 worth of  gas.  Then, I went to the Chase Bank at the Target Shopping Center  to make a deposit in  my checking account.  It was already too late to see the first show matinee.  So, I went to the Dollar Tree Store to buy some stuff.  Then, I went to the post office to drop-off my bill payments.  And I went to Selecta Filipino Buffet for lunch.

They have a new dish featured on their buffet menu at Selecta.  They now have Pansit Palabok.  In all the years that I've eaten  there, I had  never come across this particular dish until now.  I never got around to asking my mother to show me how to make one.  I'm gonna have to make this on my own someday soon.  I also bought five Meyer Lemons for $1.00.

After the movie, I went to the nearby CVS Drugstore to buy a gallon of water and to see if they sell the kind of top-up card that I need for my pay-as-you-go cellphone.  They don't sell it.

So I went to Best Buy to get topped-up for just $10.00.  The checker was kind of rude to me.  I should have told him,  Dude, I actually make more money than you do; so,  kiss my hairy ass!  L.O.L.

attention:  It's that time.  So, please, vote for me.  Thank you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment