Thursday, August 15, 2013

ELYSIUM, R ( 1 hr & 49 min )

-

where: EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Thursday, August 8ht, 2013
show: 10:00 p.m.
costs: $11.50 Ticket + $1.00 upgrade on a Free Small Popcorn ( reward earned on my movie-watcher card ) + $4.75 32.0 oz small Fruit Punch = $17.25
auditorium: 5
seat: 3rd row ( counting from the front ), 9th column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: In a future dichotomous Earth of 141 years from now, life is sharply delineated between two classes of people: The "Haves" and The "Have-Nots". While the rich live on an orbiting space station called Elysium, the poor are stuck on Earth to live a hard-scrabble life. The "Haves" who live in an Elysian paradise are free from the worries of illnesses and diseases. While the "Have-Nots" on Earth desperately try to gain access to the "Haves's" advanced medical resources by criminal means. When a factory worker, Max ( Matt Damon ), accidentally becomes irradiated and is given just days left to live, he takes on a deadly assignment to override the Elysian's system and gain access to the medical technology that could save his life and the lives of the disease-infested poor people on Earth.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) "I will take us there someday"; 2.) "Hair products, mostly ..."; 3.) Hospital; 4.) Parole officer; 5.) Undocumented space shuttle; 6.) "Activate Kruger ( Sharlto Copley )"; 7.) "Reconstruction complete"; 8.) Door malfunction; 9.) "I don't want to replace the bedding in there"; 10.) Discharged; 11.) "I've been looking for someone to do a job for me"; 12.) "That's the mark"; 13.) "Are you suggesting a coup"; 14.) Surgery; 15.) "Gave you a way out"; 16.) "Citizen in distress"; 17.) Droids; 18.) Cardio-Thoracic Trauma; 19.) Synchronizing; 20.) Data heist; 21.) Government goons; 22.) Pig cart; 23.) No-Fly Zone; 24.) Tattoo; 25.) "She's dying"; 26.) Bandages; 27.) "Meerkat and hippo"; 28.) "I think we got him"; 29.) "Close your eyes"; 30.) "The flight system is jammed"; 31.) "Reboot program"; 32.) "I always wanted a wife"; 33.) "I'll expect you in 19 minutes"; 34.) "Let's get up there"; 35.) Grenade explosion; 36.) Act of war; 37.) Error; 38.) Facial reconstruction; 39.) "Lethal radiation poisoning detected"; 40.) "She needs some medical attention"; 41.) Sabotage; 42.) "It will, this time"; 43.) "They're headed for med-bay"; 44.) "There's no coming back from this"; 45.) The promise; 46.) Reboot; and 47.) EMS shuttles.

audience reaction: The audience liked this. A lady, in particular, really enjoyed it when the bad guys were blown to bits--I'd hate to piss her off!  She and another person gave this movie a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation: I didn't like this as much as the violence-loving lady did. This movie offers-up a simpleton approach to such a complex issue. The Shoot-Outs are this movie's "to-die-for" scenes ( pun intended ). Go see this movie if you're a Sci-Fi Movie fan.

spoiler alert! They still have Adidas shoes 141 years from now? Those robots looked very technologically advanced and would be more than capable of doing factory work more efficiently than their human counterparts ever could. The surgery "room" and the surgery, itself, were not aseptic! They still have replacement parts for 140 year-old cars? Back in 1999, my mechanic had to scrounge around for a replacement part for my 1978 Honda Civic Hondamatic CVCC; and in 2010, a year-and-a-half before my 1994 Geo Metro was totally vandalized by some low-lifes, a tire center had to look hard on the Internet for a new set of size-12 tires for my car. But apparently, in the future, they still have ready access to replacement parts for cars---Maybe, if the cars were the old-style Volkswagen Beetles! Which, obviously, they weren't. Why did he not finish-off the bad guy when he still had the chance? Because of his less-than-sanitary state, the knife wound in his abdomen would have caused a full-blown case of Peritonitis, leading to Organ Failure and Death. ( My Anatomy and Physiology professor once said that a person can die from severe Peritonitis in less than a day. ) What was that thing on the nurse's ( Alice Braga ) bookshelf at home, a corded 'phone 141 years from now?!?!?! You'd think that such appliances would be cordless by then! When the shuttle was flying up to Elysium at an angle perpendicular to Earth's surface, and the craft was still in Earth's gravitational field, the people in the shuttle were still seated normally. When Max was pinned down behind the desk, why didn't the bad guy go closer to him to shoot at him from above the desk? An exoskeleton suit with nipple headlights---What will they think of next? How could he fight normally with the kind of knife wound that he had? Why did the idiot president bang on the metal doors while it was being blow-torched? Lastly, Elysium's structure and atmosphere don't provide adequate protection against meteors, asteroids, comets, etc.

fyi: This two-dimensional movie is an obviously manipulative commentary on the "Immigration Issue" at work here in the US. And having the Earth scenes' setting as Los Angeles, CA, while the actual film shooting was done in Mexico, and having the Earth inhabitants speak in a combination of English and Spanish, just drive home that glaringly-obvious point!

If you must know, I am against giving amnesty to those who entered this country illegally ( read: criminally ). Why? Those who enter and stay in this country unlawfully are mostly the uneducated minimum-wage earners who work only for cash and more than likely never contribute any tax dollars to fund social security and welfare services. If they are granted amnesty, they will immediately qualify for food stamps and other government-funded social welfare programs at a time when we are TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS DEEP IN DEFICIT SPENDING, and the money needed to fund low-income family aids will then have to come out of the Social Security System's monetary fund that I and other Baby-Boomers have faithfully contributed tax dollars to throughout the years in the hope that there will be money in the SS fund for us when it comes time for us to retire! But giving amnesty to millions of illegal aliens will take money away from that fund! If the tens of millions of illegal aliens want to be given amnesty, they had better pay-up first and foremost for all those years that THEY DID NOT PAY Local, State and Federal Taxes!!! Nobody Rides The Bus For Free, if you ask a responsible citizen like me! Because I and the rest of the Baby-Boomers out there who are at, or are near retirement age, don't want anybody dipping into the SS fund that we worked so hard for! Amen to that!!!

If you are sick with the Flu but can't afford to buy Cold and Flu Medicine and you know that I have such medicine in my medicine cabinet at home, does that knowledge give you the right to break into my house and steal what belongs to me? Of course not! But this movie's message about "Irresponsible and Unwarranted Entitlement" says that it's okay for you to do so because otherwise you won't have access to such medicine any other way! WHAT A LOT OF BULL THIS MOVIE IS!!!

word of advice: Strengthen and secure your borders.

tidbits: After the movie, I went to the Fairfield Super Wal-Mart to buy some shoes. As I walked down a women's shoe aisle on my way to the men's shoes' section, I noticed a black pair of walking shoes that looked like it was just my size. The shoes were a size 11-Women's. I wear a size 8 1/2-Men's. But, lately, my shoes have been ill-fitting; and I wanted to try out a size 9-Men's. I took the size 11-Women's walking shoes to the men's shoe aisle and compared it with a size 9-Men's. They were both the same exact size! And the size 11-Women's fitted me perfectly. But the size 11-Women's was $10.00 cheaper! So ... guess which pair I bought?

The first day that I took my new shoes out on a walk, they felt light on my feet and were very comfortable. And I think that I even detected a little sway in my hips as I walked! Ha, ha, ha. But it will be a frozen day in Hell before you see me walk around in a pair of stiletto-heeled women's shoes. LOL

In my teens, I wore size 8 shoes. After high school, I started wearing size 8 1/2 shoes. But, now, it seems that I have graduated into size 9 shoes. Hey! 'you know what they say about guys who wear big shoes, don't you? They wear big "socks"! Ha, ha, ha---Snort!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment