Monday, November 30, 2015

BLACK FRIDAY DOUBLE FEATURE: VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 49 min )/CREED, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 13 min )

-

I went to see this on Friday,  November 27th, 2015, here in Vallejo, CA, at the CENTURY 14 VALLEJO, for the 7:50 p.m. show in auditorium 5, 3rd row ( counting from the front ), 9th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $11.25. And I bought a small buttered Popcorn for $0.00 ( free on my movie watcher e-mail reward coupon ), along with a small Powerade Mountain Berry Blast for $4.80 at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review: A cerebral hunchback ( Daniel Radcliffe ) is rescued from circus slavery and collaborates with a mad scientist ( James McAvoy ) to create life from scavenged body parts.

The audience liked this retelling of a horror classic.

I liked this movie well enough. Go see this re-imagined version of the classic.

Here are what are wrong with this movie: The "science" and surgical procedure used in this movie simply are wrong on so many levels. Some of which I already mentioned in my blog on I, FRANKENSTEIN ( 2014 ).

But I liked the clever reference to the monster's flat head at the end of the movie. An inside joke, apparently.

********************************************

-

I went to see this movie on the same day and at the same theatre, at 10:35 p.m. in auditorium 7, 7th row ( counting from the front ), 7th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $11.25. And I bought a 1-litre bottle of Dasani Water for $4.70 at the concessions counter to "wash down" the 2.29 oz bar of chocolate/mint-flavored PowerBar protein + bar which I smuggled into the theatre.

Quickie Review: A late-great boxing champion's bastard son, Adonis Johnson ( Michael B. Jordan ), struggles to make a name for himself in the boxing world. So, he enlists the help of another great fighter, the retired Rocky Balboa ( Sylvester Stallone ).

The audience liked this "feel-good" movie and gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

I liked this movie, too. Go see this if you're a Rocky fan.

*******************************

While many folks observed the Black Friday annual tradition of splurging their hard-earned money in department stores just hours after gobbling on their Thanksgiving turkeys, some of us had to be early at work the following day. I arrived at work minutes before my scheduled shift at 2:00 a.m. Some of my coworkers were in the parking lot chatting with each other. As I walked towards the door, the shift supervisor said that the door is locked,  that no one had a key. And I was told that the new 1st assistant manager had all of the locks changed because she's a "control freak." The graveyard shift workers got there 3 hours earlier but couldn't get in because none of them had a key, too! I guess the graveyard shift crew just left--'probably went on a Black Friday shopping spree! But, whose fault was it that they all left? I hope that the manager will have a long talk with the 1st assistant.

I found this on the Internet. 
-

Anyway, one of my file maintenance crew members called the 2nd assistant to come and let us in the building.  We all went back to our cars to sit and wait for the 2nd assistant to show up. I didn't mind the wait because it gave me time to recite more Zhunti Mantras. It worked out to my own benefit, you could say.

We finally were let in about half an hour later. After I clocked in, I opened the refrigerator door to see if there were any leftovers from the Thanksgiving potluck.  The fridge was "packed to the gills" with yummies. And a note was attached to the cake tray, a thank-you note to the graveyard shift crew for their hard work---Hah! What hard work? They all walked-off instead of called and waited for someone to come and let them in.  Ha, ha, ha. And they all got paid for 8 hours' work for simply doing nothing ( suddenly, just like that, my amusement faded away ), those lucky jerks.

Here's the picture of the breakroom fridge. The time-stamp is wrong because I haven't yet adjusted the time back one hour to account for Daylight Savings Time. Ditto for the next photo.
-

The management asked me if I could stay an hour overtime because the district manager was expected to come for a visit. I declined because I had an 11:00 a.m. appointment with my chiropractor.  My chiropractic appointment is usually every other Monday, but the 1st assistant manager screwed-up my schedule, too. 'Like what a co-worker said, the 1st assistant is a "control freak."  Oh, well ... not my fault.

On my way to my chiropractic appointment, as I got on the Southampton on-ramp heading west on 780, I spotted a dead black cat on the road shoulder.  And, just before I got to the Redwood Avenue West off-ramp, I also spotted a dead white-with-brown-spots pitbull laying twisted on the I-80 Freeway shoulder. I said a little prayer for each of them, for God to bless them with better lives in their next earthly incarnation because they each served God in their own respective way.

The traffic lights at the Redwood Avenue/Tuolumne Street intersection were out of order. I resolved not to cross this intersection later after my chiropractic spinal adjustment.

The chiropractic clinic is owned and operated by a husband and wife. The lady doctor did my spinal adjustment. And she has smaller hands than the previous doctor so that her palms felt "pointier" as they pressed down on my spinal column.  I think that there ought to be a height requirement for Chiropractors. Tall Chiropractors with big hands should specialize on average-to-tall patients.  Whereas short Chiropractors, with correspondingly smaller hands, should specialize on short and child patients.

I went to the Chase Bank on the corner of Broadway Avenue and Tennessee Street to make a deposit.

I decided that I would have my lunch at the Taj Grill. Which meant that I would need another Lecithin capsule with my lunch. I already consumed the one capsule that I brought to work with me when I ate some of the leftover ham and turkey on my break period. And that meant that I would have to swing by the Grocery Outlet Store to buy a $2.79 bottle of Lecithin. As I mentioned before, I take a Lecithin capsule with a heavy meal as an insurance against a heart attack or a stroke because it keeps the arteries very smooth.

And at the Taj Grill Indian Lunch Buffet, I ate plenty of onions because it is a blood thinner.  I also ate spicy foods because of their dilating effect on blood vessels. Of course, I also drank a sufficient amount of water to help with the digestive process. It's better to play it safe than be sorry later.

They finally served Gulab Jamun at the buffet! I liked it.

My lunch's cost came to $12.47 plus $1.00 tip.

It was not only a bottle of Lecithin which I bought at the Grocery Outlet Store. I also bought a big container of protein powder for $14.99.

I took this photo of my protein powder container after I had my buffet lunch at Taj Grill.
-

I plan to start the second phase of my weight loss plan on December 1st. I made the mistake of not consuming enough Protein in the first phase with I started on May 12th, 2014; I lost muscle mass and ended-up with loose skin, as a consequence.  I will still limit my Carbohydrate intake as I increase my Protein intake. And I expect to see better results in this second phase.

Should I see the matinee shows or should I go home and rest first since I have been awake for over 12 hours, I asked myself.  I went home and took a much-deserved nap.

When I went to buy my ticket for the Frankenstein movie, I was given a KUNG FU PANDA 3 fortune cookie.

This Frankenstein movie was originally slated for theatre distribution last year. But, because of Aaron Eckhart's I, FRANKENSTEIN already being shown in theatres, it was bumped into this year.

After the movie ended, a theatre worker said to me, "Have a nice evening." I said that I was coming back in in a few minutes to see the Rocky movie. He laughed, along with the clean-up crew that he supervised.

I went to the concessions counter to buy the 4th and last in the series of collectible STAR WARS 3-D glasses. Woo-hoo!  Now, I have them all. I will just wait 25 years and sell them on eBay. But I have somehow misplaced the 1st in the series and cannot seem find it.  Oh, well. I guess that I will just have to buy another one--more to sell later!

I went to my car to stash the 3-d glasses in it and to move my car closer to the theatre since I parked too far away.  And I didn't want to have to walk that far to get back into my car well past midnight. Someone was already shot in the parking lot a few years ago--I'm sure that it wasn't because the victim had a cheap-ass car like mine.  Ha, ha, ha. But, still ....

When I went back to the box office, they had already ran out of the fortune cookies. Gosh, darn it!

When I got home,  I opened the cookie's fortune. It was for a chance to see KUNG FU PANDA 3's Hollywood premier,  all expenses paid.  I went to the printed website. It asked for personal information ( that could be hacked ). I didn't comply.

Then, I looked up the recipe for Gulab Jamun. And I learned why it has a milky taste to it. I will have to make this dessert someday. Now, if only I can figure out where to buy its exotic ingredients.



*

No comments:

Post a Comment