Tuesday, November 24, 2009

THE BLIND SIDE, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 6 )


where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Monday, November 23rd, 2009
show: 9:00 p.m.
costs: $9.50 Ticket + $3.75 small Diet/Zero ( w/ Barq's flavor ) $2.99 Safeway Ham and Swiss Cheese Sandwich ( smuggled-in ) = $16.24
auditorium: 14
seat: 5th row, 7th column

synopsis: An academically-uninspired homeless gentle-giant of a youth, Michael Oher ( Quinton Aaron ) is taken-in by a white family, The Tuohys. Through encouragement, love, help and support from his adoptive mom, Leigh Anne ( Sandra Bullock ), his new-found family and teachers, he gradually realizes his true potential as a student and as a valuable addition to his school's football team.

noteworthy scenes:
1.) Little Steven and Big Mike at Briarcrest Christian High School; 2.) The "Christian thing" to do; 3.) Science pop quiz; 4.) The bleachers; 5.) The "white walls" letter; 6.) Bad news; 7.) Laundromat; 8.) Not stupid; 9.) Going to the gym; 10.) Couch; 11.) Thanksgiving Dinner; 12.) "Michael"; 13.) Eviction notice; 14.) Big & Tall store; 15.) A project for the projects; 16.) Eight grade evaluation; 17.) The cafeteria; 18.) The busboy; 19.) Reading a children's book; 20.) "Fly in the milk"; 21.) Christmas postcard; 22.) Coffee klatch; 23.) Study hall; 24.) Football practice; 25.) Child protective services; 26.) Mom to mom; 27.) The accident; 28.) Pep talk; 29.) The game; 30.) Recruiters; 31.) Private tutor, Miss Sue ( Kathy Bates ); 32.) "Had a black son before ever meeting a Democrat; 33.) Visitors; 34.) The Tennessee football field; 35.) The essay; 36.) Graduation; 37.) The investigation; 38.) Running away; 39.) The fight; 40.) The "bitch"; 41.) "Your life, your decision; 42.) Reason for wanting to go to Ole' Miss; 43.) Newspaper article; 44.) The Ravens' 2009 NFL Draft pick; and 45.) Picture montage of the actual persons that this movie is based on.

audience reaction:
The audience seemed to like this movie.

recommendation: This movie is embellish-lite. Therefore, I found it more appealing than other "based on a true story" movies with composite characters thrown-in to flesh-out the story.
Go see this "feel good" movie.

spoiler alert! Whatever happened to little Steven and the mechanic stepfather?

fyi: When I was but a little boy, my mother told me that someday, she didn't yet know when, we will move to a place called America where life will be better for us. So she said that I should learn my English well because that is what they speak in America. I forced myself to make English and English Literature my favorite classes in elementary school and high school. I supplemented my schooling by reading Reader's Digest selections, as well as reading newspaper articles and current events on the American way of life. And I made a habit of saving my lunch money so I could go see Hollywood movies in order to develop a better "ear" for English. My efforts paid-off well because English became my strongest subject in school.

Then, we came to this country ....

And I found myself in a roomful of predominantly white students with English as their native tongue! It was difficult for me to carry-on a normal conversation because I had to think through in Cebuano first each sentence that I was about to say before I actually spoke it in English. As if this was not bad enough, I had to be mindful of my accent because more than one English-speaking classmate of mine laughed at how I mispronounced certain words. Consequently, English became my weak suit to the point where I was sent to a remedial English class for foreigners and all my grades suffered as a whole. Yep, I experienced what it is like to be a "fly in the milk."

word of advice: "Home is where the heart is."

tidbits: After the movie, I went to the Admiral Callahan Lane Safeway to buy gingerbread ice cream out of curiosity. They didn't have pumpkin ice cream or eggnog ice cream for that matter; and, to think, the Holidays are coming!