Thursday, November 5, 2009

I'M BACK!

It has been practically two months since I shut-down my blog site because of a virus. But I believe that I have successfully eradicated the problem by my lonesome self. I went to FRY'S ELECTRONICS to purchase a Norton Antivirus and a System Mechanic to do the job. Thankfully, my MagicJack gave me a way of accessing the internet so that I could install the System Mechanic software. Once that was installed, I put in the Norton Antivirus. Although both of them worked to fix my computer, it was still running very slow--w-a-a-a-y s-lo-o-o-w-e-e-e-r than a "dial-up" connection. I deleted some programs and some files but it was still running slow.

In frustration, I called my ISP tech for help. He told me to press "alt", "ctrl" and "delete" simultaneously to have the Windows Task Manager pop-up. Then he told me to click on the "performance" tab and asked me at what percentage my CPU Usage was running at. I told him it was at 100% ( I though that this percentage was good; after all, whoever heard of 100% being bad). He said that it should only be averaging about 10% (whoopsie!) for my computer to run smoothly on DSL.

I thought that I had to save and scrimp for a new computer when I realized that I was doing two stupid things to keep my CPU at a constant 100% usage: Every time that the Norton Antivirus would pop-up to do a "background check" or an "idle scan" , I would close it; and I don't turn-on my System Mechanic before going on the internet. But now that I don't close the Norton Antivirus whenever it pops up and that I always turn-on the System Mechanic before going on the internet, my computer is running fine with its CPU registering mostly in the single digits except for when I go to a website and it spikes--but only momentarily.

I guess I fixed it and ended-up saving some serious dough!

So, now, I'll quit my yappin' and get back to bloggin'....