Thursday, August 23, 2012

HIT & RUN, R ( 1 hr & 35 min )

-

Quickie Review:  To prove that he loves her and cares about her, a man decides to leave his "Witness Protection" to embark on an L. A.-bound road trip. But he is soon recognized and is pursued by bad guys that he owes money to.

I went to see this today, Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012, here in Vallejo, CA, at the Century 14 Vallejo, for the 2:00 p.m. show in auditorium 12, 4th row, 8ht column.

There were only three or four really funny scenes in this movie, in my opinion, based on the audience reaction.

Warning: To all of you Horn-dogs out there, this movie doesn't have the kind of nudity that you lust after!

Speaking of which, the two scenes involving the nude couples were a day apart. Yet ... they were pretty much in the same positions relative to each other inside that room in both scenes.

I liked the blue dune buggy.

**********************************************

Late last night after I got home from work, I decided to open-up my Mozilla Firefox web-browser since I hadn't used it in so long ( I prefer to use my Google Chrome ). Upon opening, a notice from Adobe Reader came up because it needed me to update it to its latest version with a free McAfee Internet Security Scan Plus "upgrade". So, I downloaded the latest version.

Then, I went to my History and Bookmarks to delete all of the old, unused information gathered there. But, for some reason, my Right Click Delete wouldn't work at all. I went to a website in my Bookmarks to see if I could delete it that way. It wouldn't delete so I opened it. And as soon as I moved the cursor, an FBI warning popped-up and froze my computer.

The FBI's website for United States Cyber Security said that I was engaging in an illegal activity and must pay a $200.oo fine within 24 hours or suffer a stiffer punishment: $100,000.oo fine, be barred from using the Internet for a number of years and spend time in Federal Prison. It said that I must go to any of the listed retailers, i.e. CVS, Wal-Mart, Walgreens, 7-Eleven, etc. to buy a $200.oo Money Pak and use its activation code to pay the fine, a.s.a.p.!

I read the FBI notice. On the upper left corner, it showed my location: San Francisco ( wrong! ) and my Internet Service Provider, SBC ( wrong! ). Halfway down to the right is a Video Recorder Screen turned-on to capture the offender's ( me, in this case ) image--except that I don't have a Webcam on my laptop!

The $200.oo fine sounded like an extortion on the FBI's part. And I would be guilty of bribing someone in a Federal agency if I went and paid the fine! Besides, the FBI will just break down somebody's door and haul-off to prison the "sorry ass" who was doing some illegal activity on the Internet or who was saying some really inciting words against the government ( this recently happened to a US Marine Veteran--except, in his case, he was taken to a mental ward ).

But, since my computer was frozen, I couldn't get on the Internet to look into this "cyber security" fine! I called Hector's son, Isma, in Oakland, CA, to see if he could guide me through the unlocking process. But it was a "No Go"! I asked him if he would still be awake for the next two hours since I needed to go to his place to get this problem taken care of a.s.a.p. because I have to watch a Financial Webinar at 11:00 a.m. of the next day, today. I put $10.oo worth of gas in my tank at the nearest gas station, a Shell Station, before driving-off to Oakland at exactly 11:00 p.m.

When I got off the freeway at the Fruitvale Exit 35 minutes later, I made a left turn to go to the Safeway Supermarket to buy a gallon of Chocolate Milk and a dozen Doughnuts ( the payment demanded of me by Isma. Ha, ha. ha ).

When I got to his place, he and his brother were busy finishing-up a boxing match on their X-Box 360.

Then, Isma went to work on my computer as I used his computer to learn more about the FBI's United States Cyber Security website. It is a "drive-by" ransomware virus, Reveton, attached to a delivery system malware, The Citadel! It has been around for a little over a year in the United States and is also now spreading-out to some other countries.

Isma was having a hard time on my computer. He said, "I think that you will have to pay the fine."

I asked him to come to the living room so that I could show him what my search result showed.

He went back to my computer and, with a keystroke here and there ( F8 and some other key--Safe Mode, I think ), he was able to free-up my Start Button and my Icons. From then on, he was able to do a System Restore ( he selected a date from two weeks ago ), a McAfee Scan and a System Mechanic Scan. He eventually Deleted the Virus---Good Riddance!!!

I gave him a Ten-Spot for his trouble. After all, he just saved me Two Hundred Bucks. I'm gonna have to buy him an expensive gift someday.

It was around 2:00 a.m. when I finally got back home to my condo. Whew! what a night it was ....

How did this virus get past my McAfee Internet Security? Maybe it was when I opened that compromised website in my Bookmarks. But, more than likely, it entered my computer when I downloaded the Adobe Reader that it somehow attached itself to because my Right Click Delete wouldn't work after the download was over.

So, how do you protect yourself from this malware virus? Be careful when you use Internet Explorer and/or Mozilla Firefox ( use Google Chrome and/or Safari, instead ). Be careful when you download Adobe Reader and/or Java Script that comes attached with an internet security software "upgrade". Check your Right Click Delete after you download Adobe Reader and/or Java Script and before--and as soon as--you visit an "illegal" website. And, if you're not using your Webcam, tape it up with masking tape or duct tape especially if you like to leave your computer on at all times. And under no circumstances should you pay the fine and give out any of your personal information!!! Also, if you're not a computer expert, have someone else unlock your computer for you and delete the damn virus.

A gallon of Chocolate Milk, a dozen Doughnuts, and a Ten-Spot ( a total of twenty dollars and something cents ) should be enough to pay a computer expert to get rid of the ransomware virus, Reveton. If the computer expert wants to charge you more, well, then, go find a lonely computer-literate fat kid who likes Chocolate Milk and Doughnuts to do the job for you!

By the way, I uninstalled the "free" ( a $200.oo fine doesn't sound "free" to me ) McAfee Internet Security Scan Plus that came with the Adobe Reader upgrade, just to play it safe. Lesson learned: Don't download a free internet security upgrade from any third party--download a security upgrade only if it comes from your own internet security provider!!!

I watched the Financial Webinar on my computer ill-at-ease because of what happened last night. I will have to do an internet security scan on my computer later on in the day to make sure that it's safe to go on the Internet with my name, password and credit card information.

Then, I went to the newly-reopened Mountain Mike's Pizza Restaurant in the Target Shopping Center here in Vallejo for a buffet lunch. Because I didn't get to go yesterday as planned because I misread my work schedule. The salad and dessert bar had more selections than the previous Mountain Mike's; but the pizza selection was fewer than the previous Mountain Mike's.

After the movie, I swung by the Payless Shoes Store in the Target Shopping Center to buy a pair of dress shoes. Now, I'll need a dress to go with it---Ha, ha, ha.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment