Sunday, June 2, 2013

AFTER EARTH, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 39 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, May 31st, 2013
show: 7:40 p.m.
costs: $10.50 Ticket + $3.75 20 oz Dasani Water + $2.00 13.8 oz Tazo Organic Iced Green Tea ( after the movie at the Starbucks in the Target Shopping Center on Admiral Callaghan Lane, here in Vallejo ) = $16.50
auditorium: 8
seat: 5th row ( counting from the front ), 8th column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview:  After returning home to Nova Prime, General Cypher Raige ( Will Smith ) goes on a routine space mission with his military cadet son, Kitai ( Jaden Smith ), who lives in the shadow of his legendary father. Their spaceship is caught in an asteroid storm and crash-lands on a-now-hostile-to-humans Earth. Both father and son survive the crash and must learn to trust each other if they are to return safely back home to their planet.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Ghosting; 2.) "You tell your father that I said, Welcome home"; 3.) Amputee; 4.) "I'm reading Moby Dick"; 5.) Restricted area; 6.) "Mass expansion"; 7.) Crash-land; 8.) "We need that beacon"; 9.) "You didn't see that"; 10.) "Hold on to what"; 11.) Baboons; 12.) "You are not being followed"; 13.) "Contaminated blood"; 14.) Arterial shunt; 15.) "Breathing fluid"; 16.) "Fear is a choice"; 17.) Carcasses; 18.) Ursa; 19.) The case; 20.) Sky jump; 21.) Nest; 22.) "Wake up"; 23.) Bird; 24.) Black zone; 25.) "It has found you"; 26.) Beacon; and 27.) "I want to work with mom."

audience reaction: The audience liked it and some of them ( i.e. the kids ) gave this movie a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation: It was so-so. As an Action Movie, it sure was boring. This movie is aimed at preteens. So, if you're a preteen, you might want to see this movie.

spoiler alert! He should have used the word, "Phenomenon." Why weren't the seats equipped with oxygen masks? Why were the monkey carcasses all lumped together in one place? Ursa is a Latin word for Bear. If that creature was really blind, how was it able to find trees with pointy-tipped bare branches to impale its victims on? Eagles don't lay many eggs! Such birds lay only one or two eggs at the most! And, in most cases, only one hatchling grows to full maturity. The crashed spaceship had an underlying structure that looked like something you'd see in a Fred Flintstone cartoon show.

fyi: Organic Architecture and Structures are shown in this movie to preposterous, impractical extremes!

word of advice: An Action Movie that has too much talking going on in it is a Chick Flick!

tidbits: I watched this movie as I finished-up the bag of trail mix that I had with me earlier in the day when I went to see the movie NOW YOU SEE ME. I tried to chew on what I thought was a very hard piece of banana chip. Is this fossilized, I asked myself. I took it out of my mouth and looked at it. It was an "America, the Beautiful" commemorative State Quarter, a 2013 Ohio "Perry's Victory" coin! One of my quarters must have somehow slipped inside the bag.

After the movie, I went to the Starbucks Coffee Shop in the Target Shopping Center on Admiral Callaghan Lane to make a correction on my NOW YOU SEE ME blog and to start this blog.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment