Saturday, October 17, 2015

SINGH IS BLING, NR ( 2 hr & 20 min )

-

I went to see this on Saturday, October 10th, 2015, in Richmond, CA, at the CENTURY HILLTOP 16, for the 9:45 p.m. show in auditorium 13, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 5th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $11.25. And I bought a medium upgrade on a free small Buttered Popcorn for $0.65 and a medium Powerade Zero Orange for $4.20 at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review: A bumbling son who cannot hold a job is sent by his exasperated father to another city to work for a family friend. Through sheer luck, his bumbling ways endear him to his boss and gains him the position of personal bodyguard to his boss's beautiful and sexy niece.

The audience liked it. Go see this if you like comedy.

As for me, although this movie was funny and light-hearted, I think that Akshay Kumar needs to broaden his acting repertoire as his movies seem to be "cut from the same monotonous cloth". The plot and dialogues in this movie needed some more polish. Bear in mind, with the international success of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE and LIFE OF PI, India has the potential to make itself a serious contender in international films.

******************************************

I hadn't visited my friend, Hector, and his family, in quite a while. I figured that it was high time that I paid them a visit at their place in Oakland, CA.

I did some grocery shopping first because I seem to always be the "designated" cook whenever I would pay them a visit.

I stopped at the Pinole, CA, Safeway Supermarket for groceries. I met Charles there. I used to work with him a few years ago. He lives in Vallejo, too, like I do. But he prefers to commute and pay toll, I guess.

The afternoon commute on the freeway was starting to get heavy as cars moved in stop-and-go traffic. Then, just about half a mile away from the Ashby Avenue, Berkeley, Exit on I-80, at approximately 2:12 p.m., I WAS REAR-ENDED! I put on my hazard lights as I drove across four lanes to stop at the shoulder to inspect for damages. The other driver, Anthony C., pulled over to the shoulder, too. He was a 27-year old Pilipino who was traveling with his two Pilipino friends. We showed each other our IDs and we took pictures of each other's car. His car's driver's side airbag didn't deploy. So, I guess that he was driving at a low speed when he rear-ended me. There was no damage to my car's rear bumper but his car's front bumper was very slightly, ever so slightly, misaligned on the right side edge and his front license plate was slightly bent. Imagine that, my old Hyundai is tougher than his young Honda.

Anyway, Anthony asked me more than once if I was okay. I should have lied and said that my neck was whiplashed at impact. Well, my neck had been bothering me for over a week since before the accident.  I think that I slept on it wrong; I blame it on one particular pillow that I used. I will just have to have my chiropractor pop my neck back into alignment next week.


-

-

When I got to Hector's place, I found out that his cat, Harry Potter ( a.k.a. Snow White ), went missing for about a week and returned home hardly able to walk. I commented that since his cat is white, and since they live in a predominantly colored neighborhood, Harry Potter was probably accosted and abducted by a gang of colored cats who worked him over everyday until he was able to escape his captors.

Harry Potter looked okay to me. And, like most cats, he slept most of the time that I was there.

I brought some canned cat food with me because Rusty, the old stray orange tabby that I feed at my condominium complex, has been missing since mid-July. I believe that Rusty had finally passed away. He was not looking well the last time that I fed him, and he hardly ate his food. I guess that he showed up just to make his final goodbye to me. Rusty was a good cat. If only I was able to own a cat at my condo, I would have gladly taken him in. I hope that he fares better in his future life. Rusty lived for about 17 human years.

Hector had bought one of those adjustable lens eyeglasses, the one called, Instant 20/20 Vision. I tried it. And it works but you have to set each lens to a certain distance each time you look at a different object.

I cooked some Arroz Con Cojones for everyone.  Basically, it's just Arroz Con Gandules but with some quail eggs added in--my own invention. The can of quail eggs said that it had 8 servings of 5 eggs each. Heck, it had a total of only 14 eggs in it! What a rip-off. I knew that I should have bought 2 cans instead of just one.

I bought more than enough tomatoes, peppers and cilantro earlier at the grocery store to make a salsa dip for a bag of purple corn chips that I brought along with me. I also brought a little tub of hummus for them to try.


My Arroz Con Cojones.-
-

Once again, there were no plates, forks, spoons, and glasses in the kitchen. I found out from Hector that his youngest son's girlfriend that lives with them in the garage takes the tableware and silverware down to the garage and throws them away once she and Ivan, the youngest son, were done using them. I am simply tired of buying bowls, plates, spoons, forks, knives and mugs every single time that I go over for a visit! I told Hector to sit his son down and give him a good talking-to. I have not visited Hector for a long time because of this particular son and the girlfriend of ill-repute ( don't ask me to elaborate, you know what I mean by it ). The next time that I go for a visit, I hope that his son will have come to his senses and will have gotten rid of the girlfriend or that both of them will have moved-out by then! I don't even think that Hector knows about his youngest son's girlfriend's true "profession", and I have the mind to eventually tell him so!  Whatever, I am losing interest in my long-standing friendship with Hector because he lets his youngest son and his crazy wife take advantage of him and he doesn't listen to sound advice from me or from any of his other children.


I took this photo after the movie ended. This poster is displayed directly across from the men's room.
On my way home, traffic came to a crawl just about a mile away from the toll booth plaza because most of the toll lanes were closed for the evening. It was already past midnight. They left open 3 fast track lanes and only 2 cash only lanes. Some drivers who were paying in cash drove further down before squeezing in. I just hate idiots who cut in line like that. The two cars ahead of mine changed lanes and I followed them. Oops! I made a mistake. And I couldn't get back in line because the other cars wouldn't let me in. I felt like everyone thought that I was one of those assholes who cut in line. Mercifully, a driver finally allowed me back in the lane. I learned my lesson. Next time, in such a situation, I will swing on over to the right lane a.s.a.p. because the left lane is where assholes cut in line!

And how was your commute?


*

No comments:

Post a Comment