Saturday, October 31, 2015

FELIX MANALO, NR ( 2 hr & 56 min )

-

I went to see this today, Saturday, Halloween Day, October 31st, 2015, here in Vallejo, CA, at the CENTURY 14 VALLEJO, for the 2:50 p.m. show, in auditorium 7, 7th row ( counting from the front ), 7th column ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $10.75. And I bought a large Powerade Mountain Berry Blast ( $5.35 ) that came with a free small Buttered Popcorn ( free on my Movie Watcher Reward e-mail coupon ).

Quickie Review:  This movie documents the humble beginning of the INC ( Iglesia Ni Cristo ) in 1914, all the way to its founder's death in 1963. Felix Manalo's ( portrayed by Dennis Trillo ) passion for God's Word leads him on a religious journey from Roman Catholicism, to Protestantism, to Seventh Day Adventism, and all the way to his conclusion that he must found his own religion that will be truer to the Word of God.

The audience liked this movie and gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending. But ... there were just about two dozen people in the audience with me. They were probably all members of the local INC. 

I think that it was good enough of a movie to go see. This movie is primarily aimed at INC followers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had the intention of proselytizing some people in the audience.

**************************************************

What interested me enough to go see this three-hour movie is the fact that it was not part of my class curriculum when I studied World Religions in college. In fact, the first time that I came across the name, Iglesia Ni Cristo, was when I vacationed in the Philippines back in 1982-1983. And I don't recall coming across it referenced in my Religious Cults book, either; although, it does hint at such. 

Iglesia Ni Cristo has adherents in many countries now. 

This movie's Felix Manalo presented some valid arguments that I find myself in agreement with but there are issues in which I find myself in strong disagreement. I could present a list of all of my disagreements with its founder but I won't. Just suffice it to say that any brand of "christianity" touted in this day and age is far-removed from the teachings of Jesus Christ, Himself. They are all just "interpretations." My advice ... read The Bible for yourself; you will be better-served that way.

***********************************************

The 1st Show matinee for this movie was at 9:05 a.m. And I actually started dressing up for this early show but I changed my mind at the last minute. The next show was at 11:00 a.m. I decided to skip that one, too, because I needed to find a better use for the intervening time. I had a very light breakfast. Then, I meditated and did some mantra work.

I went to Selecta Pilipino Buffet Restaurant on Springs Road, here in Vallejo, to have a buffet lunch. Most of the tables were taken except for one. I was lucky. But I didn't eat my usual fill at a buffet ( I have to loosen my belt next time before I pig-out ). 

As I went to the counter to pay for my meal and to buy some quick-pick lottery tickets, the proprietor, Rey, asked a favor of me. His pay-as-you-go cellphone was out of airtime. And since it was I who gifted him with the cellphone last month, I felt obligated to do him the favor of getting his airtime card for him and adding it to his 'phone. I told him that I would come back after 6:00 p.m. to add his 'phone's airtime.

On my way to the theatre, I swung by the Admiral Callaghan Lane Fed-Ex Kinko's to make a xerox copy of a mail piece for my record. Then, I walked on over to the nearby Safeway Supermarket to buy Rey's airtime 'phone card. 

On my way back to my car, I noticed a new restaurant in the shopping center, situated in a corner, the Taj Indian Restaurant. And this restaurant has a lunch buffet---Woo-Hoo! I gotta try this someday--and soon!

After the movie, I went back to Selecta Pilipino Buffet Restaurant, as promised. I had to plug-in Rey's cellphone first because its battery life was running on low.

In the meantime, Rey invited me to have dinner with him, on the house as there were no other dining patrons present. But I had to decline his free offer because I was still full from eating a buffet lunch and a bag of popcorn. Unlike Chinese buffet food which doesn't "stick to your ribs," making you hungry for more food an hour later, Pilipino buffet food "sticks to your ribs"--and you don't want to eat any more meat for the rest of the day! Well, at least,  that has always been my experience. 

I spent the time waiting for the 'phone to recharge by reading the Manila Mail newspaper, the October 28ht--November 3rd, 2015, issue. It has three articles on the INC ( Iglesia Ni Cristo ). Two of the articles are about the Philippine Department Of Justice's ongoing investigation on the church's recent scandal involving the kidnapping, and the threatening, of two ex-ministers, Isaias Samson and Lowell Menorca II. And the other article was on this movie's premier. 

This movie broke two Guinness World Records in movie attendance! And it was originally a six-hour movie, also. Whew! ( I watched the "Cliff's Notes" version. Ha, ha, ha. ) They used Green Screen technology to shoot certain period-piece scenes which was commendable.  But the Sepia Tone film was a bit much and unnecessary,  in my opinion.

Anyway ....

I found this gif on the Internet. 
-

P.S. Don't eat too many Halloween candies or dentists will be very happy to see you soon!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment