Sunday, July 24, 2016

STAR TREK BEYOND, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 2 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Thursday, July 21st, 2016
show: 10:30 p.m. 2-D
costs: $11.50 Ticket + $6.80 Lite Bites = $18.30
auditorium: 7
seat: 5th row from the front, 8ht column from the left

2nd time


I picked this because I like how Jaylah ( Sofia Boutella ) looks. She's one hot alien species! 
-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Saturday, July 23rd, 2016
show: 11:50 a.m. 3-D ( Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs: $11.00 Ticket + $6.05 small Buttered Popcorn + $2.20 small Powerade Mountain Berry Blast ( $2.00-off Drink Offer on my movie-watcher e-mail reward coupon ) = $19.25
auditorium: 10
seat: 4th row from the front, 7th column from the left

3rd time:


I chose this poster in honor of Anton Yelchin. 
-

where: EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Monday, July 25th, 2016
show: 10:45 p.m. I-Max 3-D
costs: $8.00 Ticket ( I received a movie-watcher discount on my movie-watcher reward card ) + $5.29 33.81 oz ( 1 litre ) Dasani Water + $1.00 1.5 oz ( 42.52 grams ) Squirrel Brand Italian Black Truffle Almonds ( that I bought at Grocery Outlet and smuggled-in ) + $1.40 1.5 oz ( 42.52 grams ) Krave Beef Jerky Chili Lime Flavor ( that I bought at Big Lots! and smuggled-in ) = $15.69
auditorium:  12
seat:  5th row from the front, 6th seat from the right

synopsis/overview:  The crew of the USS Enterprise is lured into unknown territory where they face a threat from an alien species that wants to destroy the interplanetary federation.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Beloved artifact; 2.) Captain's log; 3.) Bedside manners; 4.) Yorktown Base; 5.) "It's definitely you"; 6.) Distress call; 7.) Surprise attack; 8.) Abronath; 9.) "They're taking the crew"; 10.) "You knew we'd be attacked"; 11.) Horsesh*t/Doodad; 12.) Insignia; 13.) Artifact's origin; 14.) House; 15.) "He's been watching us this whole time"; 16.) "Not every ..."; 17.) "This strength of unity which has kept you alive ..."; 18.) "A new Vulcan"; 19.) "Good nose for danger"; 20.) Rock; 21.) "He likes that seat"; 22.) Camouflage; 23.) "Because I don't want it to be just my fault"; 24.) "Well, at least I won't die alone"; 25.) "At Death's door and he's quoting Shakespeare"; 26.) Tracking device; 27.) "You cannot go there"; 28.) Diversion; 29.) "Let her go"; 30.) "You take my house and you make it fly"; 31.) Terminal velocity; 32.) Swarm behavior; 33.) "He's gonna love this"; 34.) Very High Frequency; 35.) "Is that classical music"; 36.) "My house is breaking"; 37.) "It's him"; 38.) Gravitational slipstream; 39.) "What would I be without you, Spock ( Zachary Quinto ); 40.) "Vice Admirals don't fly, do they"; 41.) Old group photograph; 42.) Birthday surprise; 43.) Acceptance letter; and 44.) In Loving Memory Of Leonard Nimoy and For Anton Yelchin dedications during the Ending Credits.

audience reaction: The audience liked it but didn't give it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

2nd audience reaction: The audience liked it and gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

3rd audience reaction:  I was the only one in the auditorium for this particular show. A couple of girls did come in to watch this, but they left before the movie ended. And I left before the Rihanna song began!  LOL

recommendation: I liked this movie. Go see this movie if you're a Star Trek Fan.

spoiler alert! When the USS Enterprise traveled in warp drive, space particles enveloped it like candle fumes would in a car's wind tunnel aerodynamic test. But this shouldn't be since a car in such a test is stationary and the turbulence it creates would soon collapse; space particles, however, wouldn't collapse as easily when a spaceship cuts through them at warp speed in the vacuum of space! The space particles would just scatter away. Or ... I could be wrong And The Space Particles Would Quickly Readjust Their Orientation In Outer Space To Compensate For The Disturbance In The Space/Time Continuum. And what was that I learned in Theoretical Physics, that the closer you get to traveling at Light Speed the more you accumulate Mass and the slower you end up traveling ...? ( Or something like that. ) When Capt. Kirk ( Chris Pine ) was fighting a bad guy while the USS Enterprise was free-falling and spinning out of control, he and the bad guy were both slipping, sliding and tumbling BUT ... the crew in the bridge just sat/stood around like everything was A-Okay! Why couldn't the bad guys out on patrol in the forest hear people running behind them? I don't know why the bad guy leader derided the Starship Enterprise crew's sense of unity when he and his troops looked pretty unified to me! Okay, I've said this before, Outer Space is One Big Vacuum. If your spaceship's hull or your artificial "planet's" shield is compromised or you are thrown into Outer Space without a spacesuit on, you will expand like a balloon until you explode! Have you ever had your "appendage" ( ahem! ) caught inside of a vacuum cleaner's hose? Well, your "appendage" expanded, didn't it? It's kind of like that in the vacuum of Outer Space. Of course, you'll just keep on expanding until you explode. Ha, ha, ha. How was the badly-injured Spock able to maintain a hold on Capt. Kirk to keep him from falling to his death?

fyi: I have a co-worker, Patrick, who has a friend whose relative worked for Paramount Pictures. Patrick's friend told him that if he ever found himself in Los Angeles, CA, to call him up so that he could arrange a job interview for him with Paramount Pictures, the studio that made STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION. Patrick passed the job interview. He met Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, LeVar Burton, Brent Spiner, etc. But his soon-to-be-ex wife didn't want him to work for the show! Too bad.

'You know how they say that since Outer Space is a vacuum there is no sound because there is nothing for the sound to travel through? But, the thought just occurred to me that, in the space battle where thousands of space ships were destroyed which left such a considerably-sized debris field, there would be a temporary mode of transmission for the explosive sounds in that localized area in Outer Space.

Thank God that they played Rihanna's song, Sledgehammer, after the dedication to Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin were over because you really wouldn't want to have to sit there and listen to it especially after you've seen its bad music video!

word of advice: You should not face a common enemy alone by your own self.

tidbits:  My new Memorex CD player is a piece of crap! It stops, about every other time that I use it, approximately 5 to 10 minutes too soon, whenever I would play a meditation CD with two 33-minute tracks on it--I had to meditate to one particular track 3 times because it took a 3rd try for the CD to play through properly. At first I thought that the player was just eating-up the AA batteries' "juices" too fast. So, I switched to using an AC adapter. But the premature shut-off continued. I will have to return it to Rite-Aid for an exchange. I'll exchange it for their Craig CD Boombox which I hope is a better quality one.

So, anyway, I went to the American Canyon, CA, Wal-Mart Super Center last night, Friday the 22nd, to buy a different CD player and to buy a USB flash drive. Wal-Mart has its own brand of CD player, the ONN CD player for $22.88 plus $1.83 tax. I tried it as soon as I got home---It's Even More Of A Piece Of Crap than the Memorex CD Player! As soon as I turned it on, a loud static noise almost pierced my eardrums! I had to fiddle around with the "Play" and "Pause" buttons to get the noise to stop and to get the CD playing. And there was a faint background Static and Ticking noise which cycled on and off that I thought was because of the cheap earphones that it came with. I switched to using one of my headphones yet the problem persisted. And it made that same loud static noise after the track ended. I am very particular about my CD Sound Meditations and demand a good, if not excellent, performance from my CD player and head-/earphones! Friday night, I wasted almost three hours' worth of brain entrainment CD sound meditation time! I will have to return this piece of crap to Wal-Mart either on Monday or on Wednesday right after work.

2nd tidbits:  After seeing this 3-D movie version, I walked across the parking lot to look around inside of the Office Depot. I wanted to know if they sold CD players and I wanted to see if they have a hard drive eraser. And I also wanted to check-out the computers they have on sale. 

I found out that their USB flash drives are cheaper than the ones at Wal-Mart, that they don't sell CD players, that they have good prices on computers ( I accidentally triggered the alarm on one of them because I tilted it back to see if it has a CD/DVD player--I quietly walked away embarrassed ), and that they still sell electronic typewriters ( they have a Brother Electronic Typewriter for $165.99 ) that I'm very interested in buying. Too bad that they don't sell a manual typewriter ( mine was stolen when someone broke into my storage unit back in 1997 ).

I drove across the street to look around inside of the Best Buy Electronics Store. Unlike at Office Depot, this store's computers are more expensive and, for the life of me, I Don't Think That I Saw Any Of Their Laptop Computers With A CD/DVD Player!

But they have a CD player, the Insignia CD Player with Headphones ( not earphones ), on sale for $24.99 plus $2.15 tax. I bought one and will test it out tonight when I get home.

On my way back to my car, I found a penny, a nickel and a dime in the parking lot. I picked them up and said to myself, Thank you, Lord, for this token of abundance.

I guess that name-brand companies don't make CD players anymore. All the ones that I bought are either cheap store brands or cheap no-names all made in China. I will have to check online and see if Amazon or some other site sells Sony Walkman CD Players.

I went to the MacDonald's Restaurant on Sonoma Boulevard to have a late lunch. I was there for about 3 hours checking up stuff on my Facebook page,  going through my e-mails and starting this blog. It was a much cooler weather outside when I finally decided to leave. 

I was at the local Indian buffet restaurant, the Taj Grill, a few days ago where I inquired about Ladoo, the sweet Indian delicacy. The waiter told me that it was sold at an Indian bazaar on the corner of Highway 37 and Sonoma Boulevard. 

I decided to check out the bazaar after I left MacDonald's. I asked the store clerk where they keep their Ladoos. They keep it ( Bundi Ladoo ) in the refrigerated section and sell it for $7.00. I walked around the store to see what else they sold. And I found out two other kinds of Ladoo displayed on a table and priced for less. Of course, they weren't fresh. But I'll try them some day.


The Indian Bazaar is to the left of center in this photo. You can see my blue Hyundai Accent in the middle of the background.
-

A few doors away from the bazaar is an Indian eatery that specializes in vegetarian dishes and sweet delicacies. I tried their $3.99 Vegetable Biryani  with their $1.99 Mango Drink. My meal came with a side of cold Yogurt Soup (?). It was a good meal. And I ate the most amount of rice at this meal than at any other time in the last 2 years or so. And I absentmindedly asked if they serve Chicken Biryani, forgetting the fact that IT IS a vegetarian restaurant.  Ha, ha, ha.


And here's the Indian vegetarian eatery.
-

I bought 3 kinds of sweet delicacies ( a dried melon and two kinds of sweetened cheese balls ). They have other kinds, too, including Ladoo and Gulab Jamon, all for $0.75 each. 

When I got home, I used my new Insignia Personal CD Player to do a 33-minute brain entrainment Chakra Sound Meditation and two sessions of a 70-minute brain entrainment Shaman Sound Meditation. This Insignia CD Player is much better than the Memorex and Onn CD players! But I don't like the headphones that it came with because it is the type that cradles the back of your neck instead of resting at the top of your head. I switched the headphones with my old standby headphones. Since I do my meditations lying down because of my bad back, I prefer to use headphones with sponge cushions instead of vinyl ear cups--sponge cushions don't make a noise if you turn your head. And sponge-cushioned headphones are perfect for brain entrainment sound meditations. I am not a fan of earphones/earbuds because they can get uncomfortable in the ears and they're bad for your sense of hearing.

I found personal CD players for sale online. But brand new Sony Walkmans are priced anywhere from $250.00 to $300.00--what a mark-up! I am not buying a Sony Walkman for that price since I already had 2 Sony Walkmans conk-out on me. I'll stick to buying CD players in the $20.00 to $50.00 price range. And if this Insignia Personal CD Player lives up to my expectations, I will buy another two or more as standbys.

Yes, I thought of buying a Bose CD Player but I really don't want to pay top price for an obsolete device especially since it will just become defective a few years from now.

Why don't I just use mp3 brain entrainment sound meditations? The answer is simple. Such compressed data formats affect the music's sound fidelity---So I was told by someone years ago; and I am not arguing with that since I am not a Sound Engineer.


3rd tidbits: The Craig CD Boom Box that I got as an even exchange for the Memorex Personal CD Player doesn't come with a headphone jack at all!  Argh .... I will just have to donate it to charity after all since I cannot use it. I have to have a CD player with a headphone jack to use with my meditation CDs.

On a brighter note, I am beginning to think that the Insignia Personal CD Player which I bought at Best Buy Electronics Store may just be up to the task, after all. I'll give it a solid week of 173 minutes ( almost 3 hours ) of run time per day before I make a final decision on whether or not to buy more of this kind as back-up CD players for the foreseeable future.

One of my co-workers, Patrick ( the one that I mentioned earlier ), made fun of me when he heard that I was going to Vacaville, CA, after work, to look for a brand new CD player for my meditation CDs. He laughed when I mentioned that I spent hundreds of dollars on my meditation CDs ( actually, I've spent more than $3,000.oo [!] on such CDs through the years ). He said that I should just meditate the old-fashioned way. Well, what "mister-know-it-all" apparently doesn't know is that it takes DECADES of Patient Meditation at a minimum of 8 hr/day to become proficient at meditation! No one has that kind of patience and time in this Day and Age. With brainwave frequency entrainment meditation, all you have to do is press a button and, a few minutes later, you're synchronized in the right meditative brainwave frequency. But I'll let him discover that much later in his life since he's a "mister know-nothing" when it comes to meditation.

After work today, Monday, July 25th, I decided to go to the Vacaville, CA, Big Lots! discount store to see if they have any CD player for sale. It was around 6:35 p.m. when I headed-off for Vacaville. The trip was just a shade over 29 miles ( 46.67 km ) away. I browsed around the sales floor at Big Lots! as I haven't been there in well over a year ( I think ). They do have the Sylvania CD Boom Box for sale .... And it was exactly like the Craig CD Boom Box: No Headphone Jack. Of course, at only $20.00 each, it is $10.00 cheaper than the Craig. But, still, I cannot use a boom box for my meditation sessions.

I just bought a $1.40 small ( 1.5 oz./42.52 grams ) bag of Krave Beef Jerky, Lime Flavored, and a $1.50 small ( 8.0 oz./226.80 grams ) bag of Amport Foods roasted/salted Sunflower Kernels at Big Lots!


I took this picture on my way back to my car.
-

And I headed back to Fairfield to wait for the 10:45 p.m. show of STAR TREK BEYOND, in I-Max 3-D, at the Burger King Restaurant at 1475 Holiday Lane, which is just across the freeway from the cineplex. They have free Wi-Fi at Burger King; and I wanted to check it out. They had a promotional food offer: Mac Cheetos--the key word being, "Had." The promotion ended last week, so I was told. Dang it! I never got to try it. Heck, I never even heard of their promotion until I walked up to the counter where I saw a big promotional poster for it above and behind the cashier. Anyway, I just ordered their "5 for $4.00 Special." I had it with a Powerade Zero Lime fountain drink. ( I only ate the chocolate parts of the cookie and I didn't eat the hamburger bun. )


This is the Burger King where I was just at. I was in a hurry and didn't get a good shot of it. Although I could have taken a better shot earlier, before I entered this place, when the sun was still out. But I guess that I was just too hungry to think properly. Ha, ha, ha.
-

The Burger King Wi-Fi is somewhat slow, forces you to watch an interactive ad each time you log-in, and I think that it has a time limit of just 30 (?) minutes, as opposed to MacDonald's time limit of 2 hours and Starbucks' time limit of w-a-y ... l-o-n-g-e-r ... t-h-a-n ... 2 ... h-o-u-r-s! And don't even get me started on Jack In The Box's free Wi-Fi ( it doesn't let me log-in to my movie blog site because my site is "flagged" for its adult content since I also blog about Rated R movies--the idiots )!



*

No comments:

Post a Comment