Monday, August 22, 2011

CONAN, THE BARBARIAN 3-D R ( 1 hr & 53 min )



where:  EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & 1-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when:  Sunday, August 21st, 2011
show:  9:50 p.m.
costs:  $15.00 Ticket + $6.43 # 14 Value Meal @ the Fairfield Wal-Mart MacDonald's Restaurant before the movie = $21.43
auditorium:  9, with the 3-D screen
seat:  4th row, 7th seat


synopsis/overview:  Conan, the Cimmerian ( Jason Momoa ), goes on a personal vendetta to avenge the death of his father by a power-mad man, Khalar Zym ( Stephen Lang ),  hellbent on becoming an immortal at whatever cost.


noteworthy scenes:  1.) "I will see my child before I die"; 2.) Contest; 3.) Ambush; 4.) Severed heads; 5.) "Time to forge a blade"; 6.) "Fire and Ice"; 7.) "Not ready for the sword"; 8.) Khalar Zym's army; 9.) The missing piece; 10.) "I love you, son"; 11.) Slave colony; 12.) Prisoner; 13.) Torture; 14.) "Key to freedom"; 15.) The monastery; 16.) The attack; 17.) Payback; 18.) "None of them are pure"; 19.) "How many names do I need"; 20.) "You are not her"; 21.) "She's lying"; 22.) Catapult; 23.) "I want your head"; 24.) Sand warriors; 25.) "It is he who has failed"; 26.) "She has my loyalty"; 27.) "Battle-born"; 28.) "You look like a harlot"; 29.) Raid; 30.) Map; 31.) Abducted; 32.) "It is she"; 33.) "I owe this man my life"; 34.) "I'm not your mother"; 35.) "Last gate"; 36.) "You scream like a woman"; 37.) "Your new master"; 38.) "Die"; 39.) Possessed; and 40.) "Thank you for bringing me home."

audience reaction:  The audience was entertained by it.

recommendation:  I liked it enough to recommend it to those of you who are Sword and Sorcery fans.

spoiler alert!  The "Female Warrior in labor" scene was, to me, unintentionally funny.  Corin ( Ron Perlman ) was distracted as he tended to his dying wife but no bad guy took advantage of that opportunity to easily dispose of him.  If I were Corin's wife, and my husband did a Cesarean on me without using an anaesthetic,  I'd bite-off his pinkie finger easily!  When little Conan was fighting against the bad guys, he couldn't have been able to make those grunting noises "normally" with that egg in his mouth.  Whatever Khalar Zym used to stick that missing piece back on, it sure was way better than Krazy Glue.  Ha, ha, ha.  Young Conan's palms got burned because he was holding on to the chain to keep the pot of molten metal from pouring down on his father's head but his father's head was closer to the pot than his hands were; so, how come his father's head didn't get burned from all that radiating heat?  The molten metal in the pot glowed in the same color for many minutes even though molten metal  will actually start  to darken soon  after it is removed from its heat source.  Why were there no guards on post?  That big and heavy iron chain--with each link weighing between 20 to  25 pounds--would have been too ponderous even for Conan, himself, to snap it up quickly like that. How was that horse with two riders able to catch-up to the horse with a single rider which had an early start?  When Conan and Khalar Zym crossed swords, why didn't either one spit in the other's face?  And why didn't either one fight dirty and throw sand at the other one's eyes?  There was a big gap in time from when Conan and Tamara ( Rachel Nichols ) jumped into the water and in the time that it took Khalar Zym and Marique ( Rose McGowan ) to reach the edge of the cliff: Conan and Tamara were already half-way to the boat. That many-tentacled creature sure knew no allegiance!  In the cavern, why couldn't Marique conjure-up any sand warrior?  I know exactly why the final sacrifice failed:  Because, unlike in the earlier sacrifice, Tamara was not naked!  After all, a sacrifice has to be "pleasing" in the eyes of a god ( or gods )--even the Bible says so.  Usually, when you drop somebody off, you do so by getting as close to the door or gate as is possible--you don't drop somebody off about a mile away from her front door or gate!  Duh ....


fyi:  The fight scenes in this movie are better than in the original "Arnold" version.

Do you remember how in my last blog, the one on FRIGHT NIGHT,  I mentioned that I once worked at a die-casting place, Pressure Cast Products Corporation?  Well, I guess I will have to elaborate a bit  on my work experience at that place:

Two of my duties at Pressure Cast Products Corporation was to melt the metals Brass, Zinc and Aluminum; and to ladle said molten metals  into their respective  crucibles beside each of  the die-casting machines.  And I know from personal experience that if one were to stand close enough to a crucible, or pot ( in the case of this movie ), filled with molten metal and stay there long enough one's clothes will start to smoke or even burn, depending on the fabric's material.  In other words, Corin's head and face should have started to burn simply because of his close proximity to the pot of molten metal!

word of advice:  Revenge is Sweet.

tidbits:  I wanted to see this first on movie2k.to but the uploaded movie was of poor quality: Very dark and unintelligible.

I swung by the Fairfield Wal-Mart again to see if I'd come across a former co-worker who was supposed to be working there now.  But I've been to this particular Wal-Mart about five times already, and I still have yet to run into him.  To pass the time away, I bought a belt and a CR-1620 battery for my Atomic watch that I will be using on my vacation trip so I won't have to keep adjusting the time at each Time Zone.  Then, I ate at the in-store MacDonald's Restaurant while I waited for the movie's start time.

No comments:

Post a Comment