Saturday, November 12, 2011

IMMORTALS 3-D, R ( 1 hr & 50 min )

There are eight movie posters to choose from.  I like this the best.

where:  EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when:  Friday, November 11th, 2011
show:  11:05 a.m.
costs:  $12.00 Ticket + $0.00 small Popcorn ( free on movie watcher reward card ) + $4.75 small Cherry Coke = $16.75
auditorium:  4
seat:  4th row, 4th seat


synopsis/overview:  An evil king, Hyperion ( Mickey Rourke ), is in search of the long-lost bow of  Epirus which he'll need to free the titans to help him conquer the world.  But an oracle, Phaedra ( Frieda Pinto ), convinces a stonemason, Theseus ( Henry Cavill ), that he is the only one who can stop the power-mad king.


noteworthy scenes:  1.) The dream; 2.) The bow of Epirus; 3.) Quarrel; 4.) Disguise; 5.) Defector; 6.) Ball crusher; 7.) "Witness Hell"; 8.) Vision; 9.) Escape; 10.) "You can see the Future but you don't have the power to change it"; 11.) Tsunami; 12.) "She believed"; 13.) Burial chamber; 14.) Brazen Bull; 15.) Gods; 16.) "They're dying"; 17.) Bastard; 18.) Envoy; 19.) "The gods chose well"; 20.) "Stand your ground"; 21.) Titans; and 22.) War in heaven.

favorite scenes:  I liked Athena's ( Isabel Lucas ) first ( ahem ) scene.

I liked the Ball Crusher scene.  ( Man, I "felt" your pain; so did the rest in the audience with me. )

I liked Theseus and Phaedra's Alone Time Together scene.  ( Hey, she's from India and I'm a Yogi.  What else do you want me to say, huh? )

audience reaction:  The audience reacted mainly to the Ball Crusher scene.  Other than that, the audience was mute for the better part of the movie.

recommendation:  I liked the fight scenes, especially since they incorporated some wrestling moves.  And we know that  wrestling was pretty much invented by the Ancient Greeks.  If you're into Action movies, go see this for its fight scenes.

spoiler alert!  Wow, that oil slick sure washed off easily with just  plain ol' water.  Ah, shouldn't the body that Theseus was carrying be stiff due to Rigor Mortis?  The bowstring was not strung tightly enough because it had too much vibration in it after Theseus twanged it.  When the executioner lifted Theseus up by the hair with his left hand, he could have used the club in his right hand to crush Theseus' ribs with.  Theseus released the arrows one after the other but they all found their marks simultaneously.  You can't kill someone simply by gouging his eyes out!  You would think that that wall would have been built with contingency measures ( i.e. rocks, arrows, boiling oil, etc. ) factored in in case it was breached.  There were just a few Titans kept in prison but, upon their released, they seemed to have multiplied like a bunch of horny rabbits!  And where did all those other gods and titans come from anyway?  From what the Ancient Greek Poet, Hesiod, wrote about Mount Tartarus, where the titans are kept in prison, only the immortals can get to it because its distance from the gods' heavenly abode is twice  that to Earth's if measured from the time that an anvil falls from heaven and lands on earth nine days later ( in other words, 18 days of Free-Fall time distance )!  I don't even want to do the math on this because it would be pointless of me to do so.  Suffice it to say that it is farther than the two days' journey that the oracle, Phaedra,  claimed it to be--even on horseback.  The 3-D effect in this movie is not used to its full advantage; in other words, save your money and see this in 2-D, instead.

fyi:  The Brazen Bull was invented in the 6th Century BC, not in the 13th Century BC as the time setting for this movie suggests.

word of advice:  The gods don't help those who don't help themselves.

tidbits:  I took my Geo Metro to Quality Tune-Up Shop for an oil change, first thing in the morning.  And I had breakfast at the MacDonald's Restaurant next door to it while I waited for the service to get done.  Then, I was gonna go to BofA to get a cashier's check to pay-off a credit card debt.  But I completely forgot that today was Veterans' Day, i.e. banks were closed and there was no mail service because it's a Federal Holiday.  ( This put an inconvenient wrinkle on my "To-Do List" for today. )

I just parked my car in the shopping center parking lot in front of the local Chinese buffet restaurant while I read today's paper and checked out the movie listings, as well as the movie reviews.

Then, it was off to Fairfield for me, the place where I decided to go see this movie and the Adam Sandler one, too.

I was busy scribbling notes on my notepad in the dark while I was watching this movie and didn't realize  soon enough that my pen had already ran out of ink.  I lost about two  pages' worth of notes!  I had a spare pen with me--three, actually--but it was already too late.  Sorry ....


Special Announcement:  I would like to take this time to say, Thank You and Welcome, to my readers in ...


Bangladesh


Thank you, once again.  Please keep on reading my weekly updates.  And don't forget to tell all of your friends, and everyone else who you know, about my movie review blogsite.



No comments:

Post a Comment