Friday, May 11, 2012

DARK SHADOWS, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 52 min )




This photo was taken in the theatre lobby. I'm seated in the chair but you cannot see me since I was in my "vampire mode".


where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Friday, May 11th, 2012
show:  11:00 a.m. ( Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs:  $6.50 Ticket + $4.75 Pretzel Bites + $4.50 20.0 oz VitaminWater Rise ( Rise--how appropriate, considering what the movie is about ) + $8.73 lunch @ Golden City Buffet after the movie ( + $1.27 Tip )  = $25.75
auditorium:  13
seat:  6th row, 3rd seat


synopsis/overview:  A rich young man, Barnabas Collins ( Johnny Depp ), breaks the heart of  the witch, Angelique ( Eva Green ), and gets turned into a vampire. Not wanting to live as such, he has himself buried. About two hundred years later, he is unwittingly released into the world once more. He soon finds that his old home, the Collinwood, is no longer the grand estate that it once was. And his accursed descendants are also not fairing well in life. But Barnabas is determined to restore Collinwood to its former glory and to rejuvenate the family business. There is only one problem, though: The witch is alive and well.


noteworthy scenes:  1.) "I'm so cursed"; 2.) One true love; 3.) Lovers' leap; 4.) Buried; 5.) Victoria Winters ( Bella Heathcote ); 6.) "Congratulations"; 7.) "Carolyn ( Chloe Grace Moretz ) touches herself"; 8.) Ghost; 9.) Construction site; 10.) Road; 11.) The spell-bound servant, Willie ( Jackie Earl Haley ); 12.) "Are you stoned or something"; 13.) "And I'm pretty sure he called me a hooker"; 14.) "Our curse"; 15.) "That's where I keep my macrame"; 16.) "We've been sitting on a fortune"; 17.) "Terrible metal allergy"; 18.) "We have a Chevy"; 19.) "Some maniac ripped their throats out"; 20.) "I heard you the first 20 times"; 21.) Drawing room; 22.) "A curse takes devotion"; 23.) Renovation; 24.) "What sorcery is this"; 25.) The Blue Whale Tavern; 26.) Lava lamp; 27.) Hypnotic therapy; 28.) "Then, be fascinated, Julia ( Helena Bonham Carter )"; 29.) "Fifteen and no husband"; 30.) The campfire; 31.) "If a man can become a monster, then a monster can become a man"; 32.) "Patient/doctor confidentiality"; 33.) Board meeting; 34.) "We're both monsters"; 35.) "That was a regrettable turn of events"; 36.) "This is a very silly play"; 37.) Traumatic childhood; 38.) "Help me"; 39.) "This family could use some balls"; 40.) Alice Cooper; 41.) "It's like we know you forever"; 42.) Story; 43.) The kiss; 44.) "You're using my blood"; 45.) A choice; 46.) "You're on fire"; 47.) "Compelled by your witchcraft, by your curse"; 48.) Metal coffin; 49.) "Burn, baby, burn"; 50.) Red panties; 51.) "It's been 20 minutes"; 52.) The tape recording; 53.) The fight; 54.) "Get out of my room"; 55.) Blood; 56.) Werewolf; 57.) "Not me ... my mom"; 58.) "You cannot love, Angelique. That is your curse"; 59.) At the Lovers' Leap once again; and 60.) The broken curse.

favorite scenes:  I liked Christopher Lee's cameo scene at the tavern.

I liked the Lava Lamp scene.

I liked the Red Panties scene.

audience reaction:  The audience kind of liked it.

recommendation:  Ditto for me. Its premise was interesting enough but, to my dismay, it didn't quite meet with my expectations of it. This movie is best-reserved for Tim Burton fans.

spoiler alert!  I don't know why Barnabas didn't choose to have the best of both worlds: A wife and a mistress. Since, back then, rich and powerful men kept mistresses--and some still do, to this day! Why didn't Barnabas speak with a British accent, considering that he lived in Maine, which was once a part of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, one of the Original Thirteen Colonies? I am under the impression that the original Collins family were loyal British subjects. In which case, during the American Revolution, their family business would have suffered great financial losses since the British would have requisitioned/commandeered their fishing fleet and would have confiscated their catches to feed the soldiers; or ... after the war, the Americans would have considered them traitors and would have ran them out of business. There was no blood when Josette DuPres ( Bella Heathcote ) hit the back of her head on a rock at the bottom of the cliff. Why were Barnabas' teeth shown in the mirror briefly? "... ( R ) ipped their throats out"? Hello ... those throats had bite marks on them! Their dilapidated cannery should have been built from the ground up because its wood frame probably suffered extensively from insect infestation, from microbial growth, and from fungal decay. Why didn't Barnabas catch on fire when he was outside in the daytime? When the telephone fell to the floor, its "off-the-hook" tone shouldn't have come on right away. That metal coffin didn't exert that much weight when it was put inside the van. At the estate, why did the whole crowd disperse when it was just getting interesting. Being that Barnabas could move swiftly, why didn't he get to Victoria right away? Victoria's face should have been smashed-in when it hit the rock at the bottom of the cliff.

fyi:  My parents had a collection of colored vinyl records, too, in almost mint condition, from the late '50s and/or the early '60s. I wished I brought them here to the States with me 'cause they would fetch quite a handsome price on E-Bay today!

Christopher Lee is arguably the best one for the vampire role, in my opinion.

word of advice:  Hell hath no fury than a scorned witch.

True Love is Forever.

tidbits:  Before leaving my condo, I called Wheel Works to see if they had already ordered the Master Air Flow Sensor replacement. They hadn't yet. I told the service adviser to order it because I wanted the work done today.

I went to my Periodontist today, at 10:00 a.m., for a bite adjustment ( how appropriate, considering what movie I was about to go see ). I got a message from Wheel Works on my voice-mail while I was checking-in at the receptionist's desk. My hygienist was there waiting for me as I put a payment on my periodontal work ( I only paid $100.00 of the $115.00 charge since the receptionist didn't have a change for a $20.00 ). She commented that I have too many wallets. I told her that I carry three wallets because of all the damn cards that I have to have with me--and the banks still want to issue me more debit/credit cards even though I keep telling them that I'm still paying-off my current cards. She said that women are better off since they put everything inside a purse. I told her that I should get myself a "Man Purse"--I think it's now called, Murse.

I listened to the voice-mail as I sat in the dental chair while I waited for the doctor. The hygienist told me that I had to turn-off my cell-phone as soon as I was done listening to the message.

The doctor wants to put an implant in my upper jaw to relieve the pressure on the bridge on the left side of my lower jaw. If only I could grow back my missing teeth so that I won't have to deal with dental expenses anymore! That would be super nice ....

Before I left, the doctor told me that I should rinse-off my bite guard before I use it tonight because he coated it with a solution. I told him, I'll do it here now before I forget. He and the hygienist laughed. So, I washed it in the sink before I left.

When I stepped out of the periodontist's clinic, I called the service adviser at Wheel Works. The service adviser, Dave, told me that I cannot get a free replacement since it was past its 12-month warranty period ( how convenient ). And he said that the mechanic--the idiot who loosened the clamp on the Master Air Flow Sensor when he worked on my car's Timing Belt and Water Pump three weeks ago--told him that the problem with the Master Air Flow Sensor was internal, that the loosened clamp had nothing to do with it going bad. Dave said that he'd have a replacement part installed for free but that I would have to pay for the part, itself. I told him to order the replacement.

Then, I went to the Postal Annex in the Plaza Drive Shopping Center to check on my mail and to drop-off a mail. That package that I ordered sometime ago finally got there. I showed Mike, the proprietor, what I had been impatiently waiting to get in the mail: A couple of tan Baseball Caps embroidered with U.S. BORDER PATROL. These will come in handy someday, I am sure of it. Ha, ha, ha.

After the movie, I called Wheel Works again because I got a message from Dave, the service adviser, before the movie had started ( I turned my cell-phone off as I watched this movie ). He told me that they got the replacement part. I asked him if it was an OEM ( Original Equipment Manufacturer ) part or if it was an Aftermarket part. He said that they only order Aftermarket parts unless the customer asks specifically for an OEM part. I asked him where Aftermarket parts come from. He said that they come from China since that's where Aftermarket parts are being made--now, there's the f-cking problem: Inferior quality made piece-of-crap! I told Dave to order me an OEM part, instead. He said that he'll call me back in the middle of next week when he gets the part.

I decided to have lunch at the Golden City Buffet on the corner of Mini Drive and Sonoma Boulevard here in Vallejo, CA, before going home.

I took this picture through the windshield of my Hyundai Accent as I waited for the light to turn green so I could make a left turn at the intersection.

I took this picture before I exited my car.
After I had my lunch, I went to the Chevron Gas Station across from the Six Flags Discovery Kingdom/Marine World on Fairgrounds Drive. I bought $5.00 worth of gas and a 32.0 oz bottle of Powerade Sour Melon because I needed some electrolytes.


I'm weaning myself away from carbonated sodas because I think they have a diuretic effect and were just draining my body of its electrolyte reserves.



*********************************


"Happy Mother's Day!" this Sunday ....

I also found this cute baby picture on the Internet of another future brat.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment