Sunday, June 24, 2012

SEEKING A FRIEND FOR THE END OF THE WORLD, R ( 1 hr & 41 min )


-


-

where:  UA EMERY BAY STADIUM 10 in Emeryville, CA
when:  Saturday, June 23rd, 2012
show:  2:40 p.m.
costs:  $9.50 Ticket + $4.75 30.0 oz Diet Sprite + $15.38 dinner @ Empire Chinese Buffet in Richmond, CA, after the movie ( + $2.00 Tip ) + $5.00 Carquinez Bridge Toll = $36.63
auditorium:  5
seat:  8ht row, 10th column


synopsis/overview:  It's 2012, and it's the end of the world. And Dodge ( Steve Carell ) just wants to be with his high school sweetheart for when the time comes. So, he decides to go on a final road trip; but with his downstairs neighbor, Penny ( Keira Knightley ), as his passenger. Things don't go according to plan.


noteworthy scenes:  1.) "I think we missed the exit"; 2.) Ad flyers; 3.) "I believe the Armageddon Package is extra"; 4.) Casual Friday; 5.) Final issue; 6.) "Is it because I don't watch TV with you"; 7.) "We're f-cked, Bob"; 8.) Spider; 9.) Windshield; 10.) "I don't know why she didn't do it sooner"; 11.) "Quit ruining my life"; 12.) "He's gonna die with everybody else"; 13.) Dinner talk; 14.) "Drink, drink, drink"; 15.) "Or, if you're related"; 16.) Heroin; 17.) Bathroom; 18.) "I won't steal anything if you don't rape me"; 19.) "Linda and her boyfriend"; 20.) Letter; 21.) Window cleaner; 22.) Dog; 23.) Riot; 24.) "I want to take care of you"; 25.) Dodge's story; 26.) "When a man---"; 27.) Car keys; 28.) "Recovering serial monogamist"; 29.) Friendsy's; 30.) "I want you to be my last; 31.) Jail time; 32.) Bomb shelter; 33.) Wallpaper; 34.) Letter; 35.) Year book; 36.) "I wrote her a letter"; 37.) Beach; 38.) "What's the dog's name"; 39.) Father and son talk; 40.) Airplane; 41.) "See you next week, Mr. Dodge"; 42.) Daylight Savings Time; 43.) "Don't let me fall asleep"; and 44.) "I'm really glad I got to know you."

audience reaction:  The audience enjoyed the funny lines in this movie. But it didn't get a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation:  This movie was okay. This Comedy/Road Trip/Romance/Disaster movie is kind of a "downer" at the end. But, if you want to get "Lucky" with a girl that you're dating, take her to see this movie with you! Yup ....

spoiler alert!  There was a scene wherein the bullet hole in the pick-up truck's windshield became momentarily non-existent. Survivalists with Smart cars?!?!?! They'd be better-off with mountain bikes and Jeeps! I thought that his apartment building caught on fire and that his unit was looted.

fyi: Based on information that I found on the Internet, the distance between San Francisco, CA, and American Canyon, CA, ( a city next to Vallejo ) is approximately 32.00 miles or 51.49 kilometers, "as the crow flies". The asteroid 253 Mathilde ( probably the "Matilda" referred to in this movie ) is a C-type Asteroid ( an ancient type made mostly out of clay ) which is 31.10 miles or 50.00 kilometers in diameter.

( By comparison, the asteroid that impacted Chicxulub in way-Ancient Mexico, which supposedly killed-off the Dinosaurs 65 million years ago, was just about 6.2 miles or 10.0 kilometers in diameter. )

The picture below is of a 12-inch or 30.48-centimeter Earth Globe.

I have a similar one, but smaller in size. Mine is an 8-inch globe (  20.32 centimeters ).
If you have a similar-sized Earth Globe, good luck finding American Canyon, CA, on it! Just to illustrate my point, the distance between San Francisco and American Canyon, from a global perspective, is so negligible!

But this distance is also the approximate diameter of the "Killer Asteroid" chosen for this movie! In other words, "Matilda" or 253 Mathilde, as it is scientifically-known, would only spell "Instant Doom" for every living thing within an approximate 600-mile ( 966-kilometer ) radius of its point of impact! ( And since Vallejo is right next door to American Canyon, there will be no more movie blogs posted after the impact. So, you'd need to find your movie blogs elsewhere after such a cataclysmic event. Ha, ha, ha. )

NASA image of 253 Mathilde from Wikipedia.
The deepest part of the ocean is 7.0 miles deep ( 11.2 kilometers ) which is, again,  "nothing" from a global perspective. The Earth is essentially a solid rock with "water condensation" on it! So, despite what the scientific community says, I really don't think that such an asteroid ( an itty-bitty tiny "speck" on a global scale ) impacting the Earth will cause a massive world-wide extinction, even with a "nuclear winter", wildfires, earthquakes and tsunamis factored-in. It would be like trying to kill a cow with a pellet rifle--'ain't happenin'!

I can just see the scientists huffing and puffing, and exclaiming, "I am a scientist with a Master's Degree and a PhD from a reputable, world-famous university! So, what I say is scientific fact." And I'll say, I took a bunch of science courses in college and then I went to the also world-famous school, University Of Hard Knocks, and earned myself a PhD in Common Sense! L.O.L.

word of advice:  Be with the ones you love in times of sorrow and trouble.

tidbits:  After I had my lunch at Burger King, it was still slow-going on the freeway; and I really was not in the mood for some warm weather stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper commute traffic. I decided to swing by the UA Emery Bay Stadium 10, about half a mile down the street, to see this movie and while the time away.

I wasn't gonna blog about this movie. But I know that some of you out there have fallen for the media-hyped doom-and-gloom Hollywood prognostications for 2012. So, I decided to sit down and write you this blog. I hope that you will find some comfort in it.

Some asshole took a "comfort pet" dog into the auditorium with him. When will all this madness end?!?!?!

After I exited the theatre, I took a photo of a demolition site.

I took this photo on the same spot where I took a photo of the theatre's marquee which is directly behind me from this angle. 
Two white ladies approached me after I took this photo. One lady asked me, "What was there before?"

I don't remember, I answered. Maybe they're turning it into a parking lot.

On my way to Empire Chinese Buffet in Richmond, CA, a motorcyclist passed me by on the middle lane just before the Carlson Boulevard exit. What struck me as odd about this motorcyclist was the fact that he had two--not one--motorcycle helmets strapped to the back of his seat. I hope that he is not from somewhere in Asia where a whole family would commute on one under-powered motorcycle like in this photograph from the book, Bikes Of Burden:

This adds new meaning to the term, "Five-passenger seat."

The Chinese buffet took down most of their Christmas decorations, finally! I say, Most, because they forgot to take down the red Christmas stocking nailed to their center post. Maybe, I should eat at this buffet once again if only to point out to them what they had missed taking down.




But, they'll just probably leave it alone since it will be Christmas once again in six months!

And their frozen dessert maker was making a funny sound as it churned the mixture. It sounded like a dying dog was being slowly tortured--bad image for a Chinese buffet!

Because this movie was such a "downer", I wanted to see a comedy movie just to cap my day. I had in mind to come back to this theatre to see TERI MERI KAHAANI. But I missed the start time by about 15 minutes because I was preoccupied with my pigging-out at the buffet.

On a last note, I once had this beautiful brunette co-worker who said that, if the world ends this year, she'll likely join a free-for-all sex orgy. I've got to find out where she'll be at on December 21st! If 12/21 will be the world's last day, I might as well go out with a bang--or a gang-bang, for that matter. Ha, ha, ha.

P.S. If you haven't read it yet, go read my blog on the movie, 2012 ( 2009 ).

*

No comments:

Post a Comment