Monday, March 4, 2013

JACK, THE GIANT SLAYER in I-MAX 3-D, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 53 min )


-

I went to see this yesterday, Sunday, March 3rd, 2013, in Fairfield, CA, at the EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX, for the 10:00 p.m I-Max 3-D show in auditorium 12, 5th row ( counting from the front ), 6th row ( counting from the left ). The price of admission was $17.50. And I got a free small popcorn on my movie watcher rewards card to go with the $4.75 that I spent on a small ( read: small ) 20.0 oz Dasani Water ( which costs only $4.50 for a 1-litre bottle at Century Theatres!!! ).

Quickie Review: As a boy, Jack ( Nicholas Hoult ) loved to listen to the story about the war between humans and giants. As a young man, he learns that the legend is only too true as he volunteers to go on a quest to save the princess ( Eleanor Tomlinson ) who is held prisoner in the land of the giants.

There were just a handful of people in the audience with me for the last show of the evening. They liked it.

I liked it enough even though it deviates from the fairy tale story that we all have grown accustomed to. It's a Family Movie to go take your little brats to.

Here are some things that I found wrong in this movie: When the monk was trying to escape, how come the marching knights didn't hear the sound of the horse's hooves approaching them from behind on that cobblestone street? I'm pretty sure that the locket he kept around his neck was not water-proof or even water-resistant! Those honeybees were normal-size and shouldn't have affected the giant in that way! The giants' land was essentially flat and wouldn't have any aquifers for all of that water to collect and cascade down the waterfalls. And speaking of water, why was there no constant torrent of water falling down to earth from the giants' land? If the giants hated humans so much, they could have at least dumped their sewage all over us! Given the "beanstalk angle" of this story, the presence of countless skeletons in the giants' land didn't make sense at all unless periodic incursions from either race is factored-in. Whatever happened to Jack's uncle and his cat? Jack's father was handsome but his uncle sure was ugly--one of them must have been adopted or had a different father.

*********************************************************

I took this photo just across the hallway from the auditorium after the movie ended ( the time-and-date stamp in the lower left corner is barely readable ):

-
The yellow 3-D glasses on the left is what Edwards Fairfield Stadium 16 & I-Max, in Fairfield, CA, issues. The black folding 3-D glasses on the right is what I got at the AMC Bay Street 16 in Emeryville, CA. I switched glasses during the movie just to compare the two with each other. 'Result ... no discernible difference at all between the two! But I like the black pair better because it fits me well--and its folding feature made it easier for me to sneak it out of AMC as a souvenir!!! Heh, heh, heh.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment