Tuesday, July 23, 2013

THE CONJURING, R ( 1 hr & 51 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013
show: 1:45 p.m.
costs: $7.75 Ticket = $7.75
auditorium: 13
seat: 4th row ( counting from the front ), 4th column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: A family moves into an 18th century farmhouse out in the woods, not knowing that something evil lurks in the shadows and plans on killing them all. Based on a true story.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Annabelle Case; 2.) "Inhuman spirit"; 3.) Dog; 4.) Secret basement; 5.) Barking dog; 6.) "Funky smell"; 7.) 3:07 a.m.; 8.) Death; 9.) Ghostly artifacts; 10.) Sleepwalker; 11.) "Another bruise"; 12.) Bird; 13.) "Hide and clap"; 14.) "It wants my family dead"; 15.) "Can we do it again"; 16.) Basement; 17.) Antique wall cabinet; 18.) Infestation, Oppression, Possession; 19.) "Rotting meat"; 20.) "Does it come in 3s"; 21.) "Something awful happened here, Ed ( Patrick Wilson )"; 22.) Rory; 23.) Tree; 24.) "This dark entity has latched onto you and your family"; 25.) "We're a threat"; 26.) Tape recording; 27.) "Ultimate offense to Him"; 28.) "What ...? I had to go"; 29.) "It must have been a draft"; 30.) Apparition; 31.) Lorraine's ( Vera Farmiga ) encounter; 32.) "Look, what she made me do"; 33.) "Somebody's with her"; 34.) Secret room; 35.) Basement; 36.) "She's feeding off of her"; 37.) Nancy ( Hayley McFarland ); 38.) 'Phone call; 39.) "This is complicated"; 40.) Curious kid; 41.) Back to the house; 42.) Possessed wife; 43.) Birds; 44.) "She's already gone"; 45.) "You said, 'This meant the world to you'"; 46.) "I'd take a guy with a gun any day"; and 47.) Another ghostly artifact.

audience reaction: The audience was not that scared.

recommendation: I had to resist falling asleep as I watched this not-scary movie. Don't believe the marketing hype: This movie isn't as scary as they'd have you believe it.

spoiler alert! Anybody in his right frame of mind would have good reason to worry about when a pet behaves in a scared manner. Why didn't the children awaken to the loud sound of the crashing family portraits? Why did the mother ( Lili Taylor ) go to the basement when her children were all accounted for? I would have locked and blocked that basement door, if I were her, and called the cops right away about an intruder in the house. When Lorraine fell down, why didn't Ed go right down to the basement, the logical place where she would have landed? The bird stuck in the window pane should not have been able to move its head around because its neck would have already been broken.

fyi: BRIDE OF CHUCKY ( 1998 ) comes to mind.

Is it just me or do the Roman Catholics suffer the most from Demonic possession? Gee, I wonder why ....

When my family lived in the old house in the Fruitvale District of Oakland, CA, a house that was behind a mortuary, the first thing that my mother did was to have the house blest by a priest---A lot of no-good that did! I encountered so many entities in that house that it wasn't even something to laugh about. Anyway, I had lots of books on the Occult and Supernatural in my bedroom. When I started reading the Bible, I packed-up my occult and supernatural books and put them in the garage. That seemed to lessen the severity of my otherworldly encounters noticeably. And it led me to believe that "specialized" books are imbued with energy, good or bad, depending on its subject.

word of advice: On a similar note, a ghostly artifact would also be imbued with good or bad energy. So, collecting ghostly artifacts imbued with bad energy is really not a smart and safe thing to do--even for someone like me who learned the hard way how to handle otherworldly encounters!

tidbits: I went to Goin' Postal in the Food Maxx Shopping Center on the corner of Tuolumne and Redwood Streets, here in Vallejo, to drop-off some bill payments.

Then, I went to the Selecta Pilipino Buffet on Springs Road to have lunch, my first meal for the day. As I walked towards the buffet restaurant, I saw this SUV in the parking lot and took a picture of it since its ad sign was apropos for the movie which I planned on seeing after I have had my lunch ( $8.71 ) and after I have had shopped next door at the 99-Cent Only Store to buy a jar of Strawberry Jam and a loaf of 100% Wheat Bread ( $2.00 ).

Its ad sign reads: "SoulseekerS, paranormal investigation."
-

After the movie, I called my friend, Hector. And I learned that his wife is still in the hospital. And she's been in the hospital since April 4th of this year! Hector is all stressed-out because his wife, Elsa, refuses to get out of the hospital bed for fear of falling down on the floor and not being able to get back up! They cannot do Physical Therapy on her if she just stays in bed 24-7. I've told him before, and his children have told him twice, his wife needs to be ( re- )committed to a mental institution. He's just delaying the inevitable at the expense of his own health; he doesn't realize it yet but HE IS THE VICTIM OF ABUSE, Spousal Abuse.


*

No comments:

Post a Comment