Monday, July 22, 2013

R.I.P.D., PG-13 ( 1 hr & 38 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, July 19th, 2013
show: 5:20 p.m. 2-D
costs: $7.75 Ticket + $2.12 bulk Chocolate Candies + $4.50 1-L Dasani Water + $12.70 dinner @ Empire Chinese Buffet here in Vallejo, CA ( + $2.00 Tip ) after the movie = $29.07
auditorium: 1
seat: 4th row ( counting from the front ), 7th column ( counting from the left )

-

2nd time

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Monday, July 22nd, 2013
show: 2:45 p.m. 3-D
costs: $10.25 Ticket + $6.75 medium Popcorn w/ Butter + $4.50 medium 30.0 oz Powerade Mountain Berry Blast + $3.45 15.2 oz Naked Green Machine Juice Smoothie ( @ Starbucks Coffee Shop in the nearby Target Shopping Center ) = $24.95
auditorium: 2
seat: 4th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: Nick Walker ( Ryan Reynolds ), a police detective, is cold-bloodedly killed on-duty. In the afterlife, he is immediately recruited into the Rest In Peace Department ( RIPD ) and partnered with a long-time veteran, Sheriff Royseefus Pulsifer ( Jeff Bridges ), to catch Deados, dead bad guys who escaped judgment by coming  back to Earth to mingle with the unsuspecting humans while in disguise. But the Deados have an evil plot: Send the evil dead back to Earth. And it is up to Nick and Roy to restore the balance of things between the mortal and supernatural realms. Otherwise, life on Earth will end as we know it.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Gold artifact pieces; 2.) "Advise for the day"; 3.) Shoot-out; 4.) Freeze-frame; 5.) Tunnel of Light; 6.) "I've sat in that chair"; 7.) "What's with the Steely Dan"; 8.) R.I.P.D. Boston; 9.) New partner; 10.) VCR Repair; 11.) "Disappointing turn-out"; 12.) Coyotes; 13.) "You don't look like you"; 14.) "That makes you way less creepy"; 15.) "'Sounds like an STD"; 16.) Indian take-out food; 17.) "You're really gonna rummage through that"; 18.) Bus; 19.) "This is called 'Giving the dog a bone'"; 20.) Trifecta; 21.) Confession; 22.) Music video talent scout; 23.) "I'm sick of hiding"; 24.) "I'm okay. 'Nothing to see. 'Gotta go"; 25.) Elevator; 26.) "I've never seen that before"; 27.) Internal Affair; 28.) Suspend and erase; 29.) "I haven't left you--it's me ...."; 30.) "The coyotes are the heroes"; 31.) "Take-off the St. Christopher medal"; 32.) "I know it's wrong, but the whole 'cowboy thing' is working for me; 33.) Deception; 34.) Gold pieces; 35.) "I invented this sh*t"; 36.) Chase; 37.) Human sacrifice; 38.) "I missed you so much"; 39.) "I like violence"; 40.) "She billy-goated me"; and 41.) New I.D.

favorite scenes: I liked the scene wherein the wall-climbing fat deado showed its "whale-tail butt floss" in slow motion.

I also liked the scenes wherein Roy was mistaken for a hot blonde by unsuspecting males.

audience reaction: The audience liked it. But no one gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

2nd audience reaction: This group was not as receptive to this movie as the first group was.

recommendation: It was okay. Roy's avatar ( Marisa Miller ) is the one "must-see" factor of this movie. Go see this movie when you have nothing else better to do on a hot Summer day--if the weather ever gets warmer since it has been like Winter weather here where I live ( we only got about a week's worth of Summer, and that was it; not that I'm complaining, mind you, since I'm more of a cold weather person [ 'notice I didn't say, Freezing Weather--there's a big difference ] ).

spoiler alert! The way he landed on the floor after he was shot didn't look real. The first day he was declared dead at the scene; the next day his body was probably examined by a pathologist at a hospital as required by law before a death certificate could be issued; the third day was when his body would have been taken to a funeral home for embalming and for other burial preparations; therefore, I DON'T THINK THAT HE WAS BURIED ON THE FOURTH DAY because that would have been the day for viewing the deceased at the soonest!!! But ... if you follow the scenes closely, Nick was buried the day AFTER he was killed! How ...? ( 'Another example of why Hollywood should hire my services as Cine-Man, Technical Adviser, before they spend tens of millions on their blockbuster movies--I'm willing to work for cheap; say ... a couple hundred grand per movie. ) The car was traveling at city-speeds and shouldn't have flipped over so many times for lack of inertia/momentum. Nick's wife Julia ( Stephanie Szostak ) remarked that the short Chinese guy was back. But, actually, James Hong ( Nick's avatar ), at 6'0", is just two inches shorter than Ryan Reynolds, according to Hong's on-line information found on www.imdb.com.

fyi: How odd it was to see the bad guy wearing a St. Christopher charm. Or, maybe, it was just meant to humorously depict the saint as the unbiased protector of travelers, whether human Roman Catholics/Orthodox christians or other-worldly entities.

My paternal grandfather married my grandmother after he accidentally ( ? ) saw her ankles! How quaint is that?!?!?!

I can just imagine myself getting lured into marriage by a scheming--but hopefully not fat, old and ugly--female who flashes me her ankles (no offense, grandma )!!! These days, it would take more than just "flashing me your ankles" to get me all hot-and-bothered and desperate for some---

Ha, ha, ha---Snort!

word of advice: Life goes on.

tidbits: I was at the Safeway Supermarket in Benicia, CA, earlier in the day. The purchase total for the customer in front of me was $14.96. I remarked, Fourteen ninety-six, that was a good year ....

He said, "Fourteen ninety-two was a better year. The year when Columbus "discovered" America."

I said, Well, some say it was the Chinese or the Vikings who discovered America first.

"Actually, it was the Phoenicians in the 4th century BC. They landed somewhere in Massachusetts," he informed me. He had seen a recent TV documentary on the controversial subject.

At first, I thought he said, "... Benicians ..." Wow, I didn't know that people in Benicia, CA, have been around that long! But, then, I realized that I heard him wrong---I really need to do a better job of cleaning-out my wax-impacted ears!!! Ha, ha, ha.

Anyway, I looked it up on-line and found out that the "Phoenician angle" of America's discovery has been floating around for about 200 years or so. And it is the basis for the Mormons' belief in the Jewish discovery of America. But this Phoenician Theory is largely founded on "archaeological" forgeries.

So, it's back to either the Chinese or the Vikings who first discovered America. I'm betting on the Chinese because they're all over the world!!! LOL


Later in the day ...

I went to eat at a Chinese buffet restaurant after I watched this movie.


-

I have talked about eating at this Chinese buffet restaurant here in Vallejo on a number of occasions. I finally decided to take a picture of it. By the way, this is the first photo I took with my red waterproof digital camera, a VistaQuest VQ 9100 Sport UW 12 MP, which I posted on my blog---And I had a hell of a time figuring out how to post it because my Acer C7 Chromebook has its own set of Google programs/apps that are not similar to those of Apple's and Microsoft's. But, ever the resourceful and creatively smart ( ahem! ) Cine-Man that I am, I was able to finally do it ( but not before I spouted a whole string of expletives and curses ).

-

2nd tidbits: I took my car to Wheel-Works at 8:00 a.m. today for an Oil Change/Tire Rotation/Battery Check.

I took this picture, about an hour later, on my way back to fetch my car after I had my spinal adjustment at the Chiropractor's clinic just three doors down from this auto shop.
-

Then, I had my spine adjusted at my Chiropractor's clinic just three doors down from this shop.

When I got back to the shop an hour later, the service adviser told me that everything checked-out okay but my passenger side license plate bulb was out. So, I had them replace the bulbs for me.

And I went to the MacDonald's Restaurant just a block down, on 3289 Sonoma Boulevard and at 9:22 a.m., after I left the auto shop, to have a large Sweet Tea and Cookies ( an Oatmeal and two Chocolate Chip ) for $2.17. I worked on this blog while I was there. I sat in the playroom dining area where a bunch of brats were boisterously playing around ( where was a pair of earplugs when I needed it the most ... ). They don't have electrical outlets there so I had to blog via battery power.

The date on this photo is off by one day: it says July 21st when it should be July 22nd, instead. I took this photo after I was done at MacDonald's and just before I entered my Hyundai Accent, the roof of which is shown in the foreground.

After I made my left turn onto Sonoma Boulevard from the MacDonald's parking lot on Valle Vista Avenue, I spotted a wonderful sight on the sidewalk in front of my Chiropractor's clinic at 11:54 a.m.:

A tall, sexy brunette dressed as Wonder Woman, with a white cape and shades on, was walking towards the corner of Valle Vista Avenue. Had I had enough time, I would have taken a photo--or lots of photos ( heck, it's a digital camera after all )--of the costumed wonder!!! 'Remember Lynda Carter of the '70s TV's Wonder Woman fame?

Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman ( www.thecomicscode.weebly.com )
-

Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman ( www.fanpop.com )
Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman ( www.picasaweb.google.com )
The Wonder Woman who delighted my eyes had the requisite body stats to fill-in the "gap" ( ahem! ) left by Ms. Carter. Boy--oh, boy, oh, boy---Hubba-hubba!!!

After the movie, I went to the Starbucks Coffee Shop at 966 Admiral Callaghan Lane, in the Target Shopping Center, to finish this blog.

Congratulations on the birth of the royal baby prince!

*

No comments:

Post a Comment