Wednesday, July 31, 2013

THE WOLVERINE, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 6 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, July 26th, 2013
show: 8:00 p.m. 2-D
costs: $10.50 Ticket + $0.99 3.25 oz Frito Lay Munchies Salted Peanuts ( bought at the Chevron Gas Station in Benicia, CA, and smuggled-in ) + $4.50 1-Litre Dasani Water = $15.99
auditorium: 7
seat: 3rd row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column

2nd time


-

where: EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Sunday, July 28ht, 2013
show: 8:25 p.m. 3-D
costs: $15.50 Ticket + $14.75 buffet dinner @ Hometown Buffet Restaurant in Fairfield, CA ( + $1.00 Tip ) = $31.25
auditorium: 5
seat: 4th row ( counting from the front ), 6th seat ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: The Wolverine ( Hugh Jackman ) goes to a Japan that he hasn't been to since WWII. There, he finds himself on the run from its criminal underbelly and is confronted with the prospect of death for the very first time.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Prison camp; 2.) "You can't hide"; 3.) "Don't make me do this"; 4.) "Go ahead. Ask me where I found it"; 5.) Separator; 6.) "An honorable death"; 7.) Future reader; 8.) "Hip replacement"; 9.) "He's alright"; 10.) "Who is the caveman"; 11.) Bath; 12.) "I feel violated"; 13.) Ronin; 14.) "You don't want what I've got"; 15.) Garbage eater; 16.) Death; 17.) Shinto priest; 18.) Arcade house; 19.) "You're bleeding"; 20.) "You are a toy doll. A companion for a child that is outgrowing you"; 21.) Train roof fight; 22.) Love Hotel; 23.) "Mission to Mars"; 24.) Student; 25.) "She did this to me"; 26.) "We had to wait until we were at least 15"; 27.) "In three days"; 28.) "He seems like an asshole"; 29.) Fallen tree; 30.) "Keep it safe for me"; 31.) "Everyone you love dies"; 32.) Abduction; 33.) "I saw you die"; 34.) "He was obsessed with you"; 35.) "I didn't"; 36.) Recessive trait; 37.) Ninjas; 38.) Viper; 39.) Note; 40.) Body scan; 41.) "You tried to kill your daughter"; 42.) "Live with that"; 43.) Diagrams; 44.) "Now, it's your turn"; 45.) Wolverine vs. Ninjas; 46.) Arrows; 47.) "He's made of Adamantium, just like you"; 48.) "A means to an end"; 49.) Skin shed; 50.) Two hands; 51.) "This is not my day"; 52.) "Don't look so shocked"; 53.) "I buried my grandfather"; 54.) "Sayonara"; 55.) "I've been hiding too long"; and 56.) Bonus Scene in the middle of the Ending Credits.

favorite scene: I liked the Train Roof Fight scene.

audience reaction: This audience really liked the movie and gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending twice: At the End, and after the end of the Bonus Scene.

2nd audience reaction: This Fairfield crowd was not as receptive to this movie as the Vallejo crowd was.

recommendation: I liked it. Go see this movie if you're an X-Men fan.

spoiler alert! In the arcade house, why did the bad guy try to body slam the locked door when he should have tried to kick it down, instead? I always thought that one had to buy a ticket first before boarding a train! Where did he get the money to buy a train ticket? The side wall of the bullet train looked like it was made out of paper, and without any kind of structural support in it. Why didn't the other passengers hear the train roof fight? Why didn't the knives and daggers penetrate through the train roof? He wouldn't have been able to keep himself parallel to the train roof as he "flew" toward the bad guy because he had no Thrust and Lift--he only had Drag, Uneven Weight Distribution and Gravity ( which all worked against him, by the way ). One guard was directly behind another one who just got "flying-kicked" in the head but the guard didn't react to the surprise attack on his fellow bodyguard. When Logan/Wolverine removed the note from the chest of a dead bad guy, the dagger in the chest of the dead bad guy shook around. Yokoi ( Rila Fukushima ) was hit in the face by the samurai of a bad guy who wanted to kill her; but all she got was a small nick in the face. The Yashida Research Laboratory was approximately 500.00 km ( 310.69 miles ) away from the Yashida residence. AND I DON'T THINK ANYBODY CAN DRIVE A MOTORCYCLE THAT FAR WITHOUT WEARING A PAIR OF WINTER-WEATHER MOTORCYCLE GLOVES, AMONG OTHER THINGS, SINCE IT WAS SNOW SEASON!!! And speaking of the Yashida Research Laboratory, I guess nobody at the facility ever heard of Stem Cell Research where cell cultures from organs are used to regenerate/revitalize old organs. When a particular enemy got entangled in a cable that went up an elevator ( ? ) shaft, the counterweight that hit said enemy should have been forceful enough to decapitate the entangled enemy. When the old bad guy transformed into the young bad guy, the SFX was ruined by the fact that the two didn't have the same mandibular dental arch--which could have been fixed easily using some computer manipulation or Photoshop. I thought Wolverine's whole Skeletal System was completely replaced with Adamantium?

fyi: I was always under the impression that the Japanese kept their cars' passenger cabins neat and clean at all times. They don't even want to drive their cars with their shoes on, so I heard. And if I remember correctly, cars in Japan don't have cup holders ( Maybe, things have changed by now---blame it on us messy Americans. Ha, ha, ha ).

You know what's fun about knowing to speak ( or knowing certain words ) in another language? Some foreign words end up sounding amusing to hear. For example, a female character's name in this movie is Mariko ( Tao Okamoto ). And it almost sounds like the Spanish word Maricon ( a homosexual man ).

word of advice: Face your fears.

tidbits: Before seeing this movie, I had a Big Mac dinner at the MacDonald's Restaurant at 1602 E. 2nd St., Benicia, CA. As I was getting my Sweet Tea at the soda fountain counter, a Hispanic man came up and asked me what Pilipino language I speak. I told him that I speak Cebuano. He asked me what word we have for drinking straw. I told him that we don't have a native word for drinking straw, that we just call it, "Estro ( straw )." But I added that we have the Spanish word Chupa ( suck ). He said that in South America, they call it, "El Pitillo." And then he added that he has Pilipino friends who taught him some naughty words such as "Suso ( Tagalog for Breast[s])." And I remarked, Oh, Tetas ( Spanish for Breasts ). Then, he said that his friends also taught him how to say, "Titi-ulo ( dick-head )." We both laughed. Then, he left---Hey! wait a minute .... Did he just call me a dick-head?!?!?!

Where's a Border Patrol Agent when I need one?

2nd tidbits: Earlier in Benicia, CA, today, I saw a man wearing a T-shirt which had a cartoon drawing of a bear holding a rifle and the caption which read: "I Believe In The Right To Arm Bears." Ha, ha, ha. Good one! How come I didn't come up with that, myself.

I decided to have dinner at Hometown Buffet Restaurant at 1315 Gateway Boulevard, just across the street from the Westfield Solano Mall where the theatre is at, once I got to Fairfield, CA. I was pressed for time so I only ate two platesful + a cup of corn chowder + a "sorry excuse" for a Taco + a quarter loaf of a round Sourdough Bread + a saucer of Strawberry Cheesecake w/ a side of Banana Pudding. I didn't have my usual fill at the "pig-out feeding trough" because I ate two cookies ( Chocolate Chip and Oatmeal ) an hour before while I was at the MacDonald's Restaurant in Benicia, CA ( the same one as mentioned in the 1st tidbits above ). I think those damned cookies spoiled my appetite for me!

While I was eating my dinner, another dining patron came up to me and introduced himself to me. He was the young Chinese man I see occasionally in Benicia, CA. He told me that he was on his way home to Cordelia, CA, and stopped-off at this Hometown Buffet restaurant to have dinner first. He works at a Chinese restaurant. 

Yup, just like me, he could only have so much of "all-you-can-eat" Chinese buffet meals. The key to a successful lifetime of pigging-out at buffet restaurants is: Diversity, man. Diversity. After all, there is more to buffet restaurants than just Chinese, you know.  ( Belch! excuse me .... )

*

No comments:

Post a Comment