Wednesday, July 17, 2013

PACIFIC RIM, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 11 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Friday, July 12th, 2013
show: 4:15 p.m. 2-D
costs: $7.75 Ticket + $5.75 medium Popcorn w/ Butter + $4.00 small 20.0 oz Powerade Mountain Berry Blast = $17.50
auditorium: 7
seat: 5th row ( counting from the front ), 9th column ( counting from the left )

-

2nd time

where: EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when: Sunday, July 14th, 2013
show: 10:30 p.m. I-Max 3-D 
costs: $0.25 Ticket ( I used-up the balance on my Regal Movie Watcher Gift Card and paid just $0.25 to cover the remaining amount due ) + $6.00 small Popcorn + $4.75 small 32.0 oz Pink Lemonade = $11.00
auditorium: 12, with the I-Max screen
seat: 6th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview:                  MOVES LIKE JAEGER


Just shoot for the eyes, 
if it feels right.
Then aim for the heart, 
if you feel like.
Kill it right away.
Be done for the day.
I swear I will live.
I am in control.
So, they waited.
I put on a show.
Now, I do it.
You envy my gig:
A robot so big.
I don't give a sh*t.
And it goes like this:
Grab and break its arm 
and it'll know you;
dis it 'til you're done
and it'll know you.
You want the moves 
like jaeger;
I've got the moves 
like jaeger!
I've got the mo-o-o-o-o-oves
like jaeger!
I don't need to try 
to control you.
Poke you in 
the eyes
and I'll own you
with the moves like jaeger;
I've got the moves like jaeger.
I've got the mo-o-o-o-o-oves
like jaeger!
Maybe it's hard 
when you feel like
you're broken and scared.
Nothing feels right
when you're against me.
I'll make you believe
that I've got the Chi.
You'll run very far
but can't hide it.
Wherever you hide,
be inside it.
Show me some fear
when I'm shifting gears.
'Slap you in the ears.
And it goes like this:
Grab and break its arm
and it'll know you;
dis it 'til you're done
and it'll know you.
You want the moves
like jaeger;
I've got the moves
like jaeger!
I've got the mo-o-o-o-o-oves
like jaeger!
etc., etc., etc.
( dang! I got carried away--again .... )


When Kaijus ( monsters ) from another planet invade planet Earth through an underwater inter-dimensional space bridge, humanity sets its differences aside and pools all of its resources together to create colossal robotic Jaegers ( hunters ) that are each piloted by a pair of neurally-compatible human pilots which hunt and destroy the alien invaders. But the Kaijus are just testing humanities' limits as it prepares for one last massive assault meant to dominate the planet and exterminate whatever remains of humanity.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) The first invasion; 2.) Compatible; 3.) Alaskan offshore battle; 4.) "We never find anything good"; 5.) "The Jaeger Program is over"; 6.) Bad news/good news; 7.) Wall of Life; 8.) "Where would you rather die"; 9.) "'See the Russians back there? They can get us anything"; 10.) "Thank you for your honesty"; 11.) "Vengeance is like an open wound"; 12.) "You're dead weight"; 13.) Trials; 14.) "There's nothing to talk about"; 15.) Kaiju/Human drift experiment; 16.) "I made you a promise"; 17.) Black market dealer; 18.) Offline; 19.) Memory; 20.) "This place is Heaven"; 21.) "Apologize to her"; 22.) "It was my mistake"; 23.) "I don't care what you saw"; 24.) "Don't you ever touch me again"; 25.) Hong Kong offshore battle; 26.) Analog; 27.) "I tried it once"; 28.) "No pulse"; 29.) "The Kaiju wants the little dude"; 30.) Hong Kong street fight; 31.) Sword; 32.) "You owe me a Kaiju brain"; 33.) Organ harvesting; 34.) Baby; 35.) "You and I are the only ones who ran solo"; 36.) "By Job! we're not going to own this bad boy"; 37.) "Egotistical jerk"; 38.) Genetic code; 39.) Category 5; 40.) Nuclear detonation; 41.) "They're in"; 42.) Manual override; 43.) "You're squeezing me too tight"; and 44.) Bonus Scene during the Ending Credits.

audience reaction: The audience liked it but nobody gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation: I liked it enough. This is a "Popcorn Movie" in every sense of the term. It was fun to watch the robots do battle with the monsters as I sat back and enjoyed my buttered popcorn. Go see this if you're into monsters vs. aliens-type of movie ( hey, this sounds like a title for a movie--of course it does because it is! Ha, ha, ha. ).

spoiler alert! In six days' time, that Kaiju only traveled 35 miles?!?!?! ( I could cover that distance with my short legs in about 12 hours' time! ) You can sense a nosebleed happening. At the trials, why did they fight each other using fighting sticks when none of the Kaijus ever used fighting sticks on any of the jaegers? What---You kept my shoe hidden from me all of these years? ( If you think about it, the shoe had little or no cinematic value, symbolic or otherwise. ) Gee, thanks for giving me back my shoe. It won't fit me anymore but I could still hang it from my car's rear-view mirror. Why did the female Russian Jaeger pilot ( Heather Doerksen ) wear makeup and red lipstick for? If the Category 4 Kaijus had Acid and Electro-Magnetic Pulse defenses, why didn't they just use them on the Jaegers sooner? Why did the seagulls just sit around IN THE RAIN? And why did the seagulls, perched upon the bollards, fly away only at the last second? That ship could never be used like a baseball bat because it would easily break in half ( 'Remember how the Titanic broke in half easily? ). If the Kaijus were genetically identical because they were all cloned, HOW THE HECK DID THAT KAIJU GET PREGNANT?!?!?! Why did the Kaijus sound normally when they were growling underwater? When the nuclear bomb detonated, Gipsy Danger should have been hit almost simultaneously by two walls of water: First, the one rushing at it from behind; then, the wall rushing at it from in front and to either side of it. Underneath all of that sand at the bottom of the ocean is mud; mud that would have been stirred-up by the detonation and would have subsequently kept the water murky for quite a while. Shortly after the nuclear detonation, a school of fish swam past the blast site---The nuclear blast would have killed fish for a few miles' radius; therefore, IT SHOULD HAVE TAKEN A CONSIDERABLY LONGER TIME FOR ANY SCHOOL OF FISH TO HAPPEN BY!!! Why did only one escape pod release its sea marker dye? He was chewed by a monster which would have had the same jaw strength as that of a big shark! So, how was he able to survive being eaten by a monster?

'Know what I think ...? Modified anti-tank missiles and bunker-busters could easily destroy even Category 5 Kaijus!!! But them giant robots sure look neat-as-all-heck doin' battle with them alien critters!

fyi: Tuk-Tuks are a very dependable mode of transportation. I would love to have one since they are CARB-approved ( I think ) for the State of California.

-

There is actually a Thai restaurant here in Vallejo, CA, that has a Tuk-Tuk vehicle parked outside its front door! It's at the opposite end of the shopping center from the Century 14 Vallejo Cinemas.

If Kaijus are for real, let's just have the Chinese deal with them personally. That way, they won't steal islands from the Philippines just to feed the bazillion hungry mouths of their own people!!! ( The Kaijus' body lice sure looked appetizing! I bet they'd be great served as a Sweet and Sour, Hot Pot or Stir-Fry dish with lots of Rice on the side. )

word of advice: Simulated fighting can never substitute for actual fighting.

tidbits: I'm still busy proof-reading my children's book manuscript and preparing a final draft for submission to publishers and agents.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment