Tuesday, April 26, 2016

FAN, PURPLE RAIN

I went to San Francisco, CA, to see two movies and to do a little bit of shopping in Chinatown. I parked my car at the El Cerrito Del Norte BART Train Station, in parking space # 604, to catch a train. I caught a San Francisco-bound transfer train at the MacArthur BART Train Station since there is no direct service to San Francisco on weekends.

I got-off at the Powell Street BART Train Station and entered the WestField Shopping Mall at the Subway Level. I was already late arriving there at 3:15 p.m. But I reasoned that previews were still being shown and that I would enter the auditorium just as the movie would begin. But I Took The Wrong Set Of Escalators And Got Lost, instead! I asked a security guard on the 4th floor how I could get on the right set of escalators. He told me to go down to the 1st floor and cut across the floor to the opposite side. I didn't know where to cut across, so I asked a Jewelry Department sales lady to point me the way.

As I cut across, I found myself on the 4th floor, with the 5th floor escalator just across the hallway beckoning at me. I was late for the opening scene then. And it didn't help that WOMEN riding the escalators stood on the left side Which Is Reserved For People Who Actually Do Walk Up The Escalator, Not For Lazy Fat Butts Who Can Barely Walk!

I missed the 1st 5 minutes or so of the opening scene. I stepped into the auditorium during the Carnival Talent Show scene.

2 hr & 22 min
-

I went to see this on Sunday, April 24th, in San Francisco, at the CENTURY SAN FRANCISCO CENTRE 9 AND X-D, for the 3:10 p.m. show in auditorium 8, 4th row from the front, 8ht column from the left. The price of admission was $13.00. And I bought a $6.05 small Buttered Popcorn and a $2.45 (  $2.00-off on my movie watcher e-mail reward coupon ) small Lemonade/Fruit Punch at the concessions counter.

Quickie Review:  After being rejected by his movie idol, an obsessive ex-fan ( Shah Rukh Khan ) goes to extreme lengths to ruin the reputation, career and life of the popular movie star ( same guy ).

The audience liked this movie. I liked this movie, too. It was well-written and well-acted. Go see this Bollywood movie.

The tenement building chase scene and the on-foot chase scenes were all suspenseful.

I liked how they changed his nose to make him look slightly different. If you've read my posts far back enough, you would know of my father's side of the family's obsession with a long nose ( clearly, my siblings and I were all adopted )! Ha, ha, ha.

After the movie, I took the rear elevator down to the 1st floor and walked on Mission Street and past 4th Street to cut across the open space where the Jewish Museum is at. Then, I walked up Grant Avenue to get to Chinatown. Just past Commercial Street is a jewelry store.

I entered the jewelry store, Gold Wing Imports, to buy 4 Tense Wooden Watches for a grand total of $465.00. I asked for a quantity discount; otherwise, I would have had to shell-out $596.00 plus tax! I bought a wooden watch for myself, my brother and my 2 sisters. I'm glad that I wasn't charged an extra $0.10 for the plastic bag that I carried the watches in ( and I kept that plastic bag full of expensive watches close to my person all the time that I was in San Francisco and while I was train-commuting! ).

According to the sales girl ( I think that it's a family-run business because an elderly man came up from the basement to assist with the sales--and he looked liked her; well, don't they all? 'Just kidding ), the watches are splash-proof--water-resistant, just don't swim or shower with any of them on! I asked if the wooden watches were coated with some kind of water-proofing. She said that they weren't coated at all. When I got the watches home, I looked at the information booklet for my watch which says that it should be cared for like how one would with fine wood furniture. And the booklet specifically recommends Lemon Oil Furniture Polish. The watches all come with a two-year warranty.

This is the exact model that I bought for myself. I bought a darker model for my brother here in California. I found this image at the watch's website: tensewatch.com.
-

This is the same watch that I bought for my sister in Michigan. I bought a darker model for my other sister here in California. I found this image at the watch's website: tensewatch.com.
-

I always wanted to have a wooden watch of my own since I saw a man sporting such a watch about 3 years ago at the Safeway Supermarket in Benicia, CA. He said that he bought it at a flea market. Earlier this year, I saw another man in the same supermarket wearing the same kind of watch. I reasoned that it was a reminder meant for me. When I vacationed in San Francisco the 1st week of this month, I walked around Chinatown and came across the watch display for wooden watches at this particular jewelry store. And I said to myself that I will have to come back someday to buy some wooden watches---Promise fulfilled!

These wooden watches have been made since 1971. Yet, I saw the 1st kind just 3 years ago! Imagine that. Oh, by the way, these watches are made in Canada. The prices range from $115.00 ( ladies' quartz watches ) all the way to $970.00 ( top-of-the-line automatic watch ). The watches that I bought are all for $139.00 each if they are bought from the watch company website. I thought that it would be cheaper to buy them from the website ( you know, cutting-out the middleman ); but I was wrong. I really got a good deal on them.

Then, I decided to have dinner at the Snow Garden Chinese Restaurant just a block away ( the place that I mentioned to you at the start of the month ). I ordered the combo with Fried Rice, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Spring Roll and Sour Soup w/ Tofu. It also came with a small pot of Tea. I paid $13.00 + $2.00 Tip.

This picture is from my vacation during the 1st week of this month. I couldn't post a recent picture from my camera because something about my Google Chromebook doesn't want to upload the pictures. I'm gonna have to get another computer!
-

*********************************************

I walked-up to the Box Office Counter to learn that the 7:30 p.m. show for PURPLE RAIN was near sold-out. I opted to buy a ticket for the next show, instead.


1 hr & 51 min
-

I went to see this movie on Sunday, April 24th, 2016 in San Francisco, CA, at the AMC METREON 16, on the 3rd floor, for the 8:10 p.m. show in auditorium 14, 3rd row from the front, 9th column from the left. The price of admission was $7.09 ( this place is a rip-off, considering that the Brenden Vacaville 16 only charged $5.00 for it the day before! ). And I bought a $3.99 20.0 oz ( 591.50 ml ) bottle of Dasani Water to wash down the PowerBar Peanut Butter Cookie Protein Bar that I sneaked-in.

I got to the ticket-taker station only to find out that the female idiot at the downstairs Box Office sold me a ticket for the 7:30 p.m. show. And it seemed that she also sold the same show to a bunch of others. Which got me to thinking, was the 7:30 p.m. show actually near sold-out? I, and some other patrons, had to go to the Guest Services Counter to get our tickets switched to the right showtime.

Quickie Review:  An arrogant singer/musician ( Prince ), from an abusive home, tries to make a name for himself in the music industry and win the heart of his love interest ( Apollonia ).

The audience in the 3/4th filled auditorium really loved this movie and gave in a rousing "Hands Clapper" ending. They also clapped for Prince during the introductory scene and in some other music scenes. And most of them stayed 'til after the Ending Credits--some even wanted to see it again. I liked this movie, too! Go see this movie! It's an eclectic electric musical.

This movie was a fitting send-off tribute to a great modern-day multi-talented musician! It's so sad that such a talented artist died too soon.

Confession time: I didn't want to see this movie when it came out in 1984 because I was extremely envious of Prince who seemed able to get any girl he fancied. But, through the years, I came to appreciate some of his songs. And I decided to finally see this movie to pay my respect.

On my way down the stairs at the Powell Street BART Train Station, on my way home, I spotted a hobo who was sleeping at the foot of the escalator, blocking people's access to it. I guess that if you're a hobo in a liberal city like San Francisco, you can be as rude and as inconsiderate as you like because "the world owes you a lot"!

Anyway, another hobo woke him up saying that somebody had stolen his bag and he tried to accuse the sleeping man of the theft. Is there a logic to that? How can someone curled-up asleep be able to steal someone else's property? 'Must've been on some kind of drug ....

I found this on the Internet. Someone sent it to my Facebook page. It's a good one, isn't it?
-

Upon learning of Prince's death, the grieving Apollonia became inconsolable and could not be reached, according to some online news.

Today, Monday, April 25th, I learned on Facebook that Prince's body was cremated. He was worth around $300 million dollars. All of that money and they couldn't even afford a proper burial for him ...? I think that someone is trying to hide something because a conspiracy theory rumor has it that some music company wants to have exclusive rights to Prince's unpublished works! And you just can't exhume ashes for forensics!!!

My train ticket was $8.90 for a round trip. My Carquinez Bridge Toll Booth fee was $5.00. And my gasoline expense was approximately $3.00.

All-in-all, at $530.48, this is the most expensive movie trip so far--'glad I didn't have a date with me or it would have been twice as much! Ha, ha, ha. Of course, it goes without saying that the money I budgeted for my Fisherman's Wharf trip is bye-bye. Well, there is always a next time.

I had to use an old pair of glasses ( at least, 15 years old ) for this movie trip. My new one ( I got it a year-and-a-half ago ) is making me see double, especially whenever I am driving at night and have no visual frame of reference in the darkness. I went to my Optometrist last week. She told me that my vision has gotten bad, that my right eye is turning inward. The strange thing is that my old pair of glasses have both eyes aimed correctly, although the distance vision is kind of blurry. I am getting the new pair of eyeglasses sometime this week. And my Optometrist said that if it doesn't stabilize my distance vision, she will have to recommend me for surgery. I will have to bring in my old pair of glasses just to show her how my near vision is perfect with it and how my distance vision is not double, albeit slightly blurry. On a side note, according to her, my eyeballs look healthy on the inside!

I have always been a right-handed southpaw my whole life. My having a cockeye is probably the reason for it. When I was a kid in the Philippines, my playmates/classmates who noticed my eye condition would say that I was Manokon ( pronounced: Maa Nook Coon ), a Pilipino word for, Cockeyed. It is from the Pilipino word, Manok ( hen/rooster ).


*

No comments:

Post a Comment