Saturday, April 9, 2016

TUESDAY, APRIL 5TH, 2016 = SAN FRANCISCO VACATION

Well, no thanks to Facebook, I stepped out of the hotel at near noontime already! And I had a lot of things which I planned to do for the day. Aargh ....

I wanted to go down to Fisherman's Wharf---Scratch that!

Then, I planned to walk to Van Ness Boulevard to see the movie, EYE IN THE SKY, at the AMC Van Ness 14---Scratch that one, too!

The office that I located on Market Street yesterday was also on my To-Do List---Scratch that one, also!

Originally, a few months ago, I had reserved this particular day for a surgical procedure. But the doctor had me on a waiting list and was not able to schedule me for today. I may have to go to Los Gatos for the procedure, after all. In the meantime, I'm doing the Herbal Medicine route as a substitute treatment as I wait for a surgical availability early of next year.

'Remember how I found $60.00 in a parking lot approximately 3 years ago, money which I felt that I should donate since I didn't know to whom it belonged? I pledged to donate the full amount to Gold Mountain Sagely Monastery here in Chinatown. But I hadn't seen any Buddhist Monks/Nuns walking around Chinatown soliciting people for donations these last few years. So, I figured that I should just go on over to the monastery on the corner of Sacramento Street and Grant Avenue and personally hand them the money. I got there and realized that nobody was inside, as far as I could see. Maybe, they were doing their midday meditation or chant. There was a doorbell. But I didn't want to disturb any of them since I'm of the firm belief that you don't disturb someone who's meditating, chanting or praying. To do so would be very rude. I have their address, anyway. I'm just gonna send them a check for the full amount.

The entrance to Gold Mountain Sagely Monastery. I found this on the Internet.
-

I walked down Grant Avenue to go to Posh Bagel on Sutter Street. I bought a GT's Kombucha Multi-Green and a hard-boiled brown egg for breakfast. I inquired about their fusion pastry, the Cro-Nut, a hybrid Croissant/Doughnut. They had 6 different kinds. And each one was for $3.00 each! Hell, you could buy the Doughsant ( same thing, different name ) at Safeway Supermarket for $0.79! Hah, they ain't foolin' me! No, siree, Bob.

I read a recent edition of the San Francisco Chronicle while I ate my breakfast. I read an article on Donald Trump's 1990 Playboy interview and an article on how non-profits are having a hard time with rents and leases in San Francisco. If I were a real estate mogul like Donald Trump, I would build affordable buildings and apartments in high-rent areas such as San Francisco and New York. But I would have strict requirements put into place so that only those who make meaningful contributions to society can move in--and to Hell with liberals!

I remember in the late 1990s that the stretch of Market Street between the Powell Street BART Train Station and the Civic Center BART Train Station was a normal place to walk on. A few years ago, I walked that stretch of road and felt uncomfortable and unsafe because of boarded-up business and some dregs of society loitering on the sidewalk. I asked a casual acquaintance of mine, an SFPD Police Detective, about it. His answer was, "Blame it on the Liberals!"

I arrived at the Century San Francisco Centre 9 and XD with enough time to catch the first show of ...

 
-

I went to see the 12:30 p.m. XD show on the 5th floor in auditorium 1, 5th row from the front and 10th column from the left. The price of admission was $10.50 ( "early bird" price ). At the concessions counter, I bought a bag of Brazilian Cheese Bread for $3.00 and a 16.9 oz. ( 500 ml ) bottle of Dasani Water for $4.00 to wash down the Turkey Jerky/Cheese Sticks that I smuggled-in.

This movie follows the weekend adventure of a college freshman prior to his first day of class. He meets his baseball teammates at their shared frat house; and all embark on a party-hopping experience throughout the weekend, will a little pause for baseball practice.

There were just a handful of people in the audience, mostly men. But they liked this movie. I liked it, too. Go see this if you are in a reminiscent mood.

The Brazilian Cheese Balls were not cheesy enough, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy this again.

I wanted to see another movie after this. So, I just hung around in the main lobby while I waited for the next movie to begin. I got to do some extra Zhunti Mantras while I was at it. Just behind the ticket counter is a set of 5 elevators, I soon discovered. I would need to use an elevator after the movie.

The 5th Floor elevator lobby.
-

Speaking of tickets, unlike the Century Cinemas that I've frequented, this Centre 9 and XD location DOESN'T have a $6.25 All-Day Bargain Tuesday! What a rip-off. Well, scratch my plan to go to Fisherman's Wharf for a quick tour after the movie! Because I was sticking to a daily budget--and not effectively at that, I might add.

I bought a ticket for ...

-

I went to see the 3:15 p.m. show. The price of admission was $11.25. I didn't buy anything at the concessions counter because I just refilled my water bottle at the drinking fountain so that I could use it to wash down the health bar that I smuggled-in.

This movie is about a couple of estranged brothers who go back to India after their grandfather suffers a heart attack. All is not well in their household. Lies, deceptions and betrayals abound. At their grandfather's 90th birthday, a chance for a good family reunion becomes at stake.

The audience liked this movie. I liked it, too. Go see this if you like family drama-type of movies.

Sure enough, I rode the elevator down to the 1st floor. I stepped out onto Mission Street near the corner of 4th Street and discovered that I was just half a block away from the AMC Metreon 16! I will need to keep this in mind the next time that I theatre-hop between the two theatres.

There was still approximately two hours of sunlight left. But my day's budget told me not to get on a cable car to go down to Fisherman's Wharf. I just headed back to Chinatown.

I don't know what the occasion was. But some shop owners were lighting firecrackers on the street.

I was gonna eat at the Snow Garden Restaurant, but they were already closed. I walked further down looking for Capital Restaurant because I forgot which side street it was on. I didn't find it. So, I went to Eastern Bakery to buy 2 chocolate covered pastries,  a Zhongzi, and a Steamed Pork Bun. I ate there, doing my best to minimize on my carbohydrate intake. As I ate, the cook and a female co-worker ate across the table from mine. Guess what they had? Spaghetti with a good dusting of Kraft Parmesan Cheese---And they used forks, not chopsticks!!! Were they even REAL Chinese? I'm gonna have to tell my eldest sister about this since she was a regular customer here back in the '90s! She'll be shocked to learn the well-kept secret. Ha, ha, ha.

I needed something to add bulk to what I just ate. So, I walked back down to Sutter Street to buy something with fiber. As I walked down Grant Avenue toward Sutter Street, I noticed that there is a Middle Eastern Restaurant just two doors below the Grant Plaza Hotel. And they have Shawarma. I've been meaning to try this since I first learned of it from watching the first Avengers movie. Next time, most definitely ....

A block down from the Middle Eastern restaurant,  just past the Starbucks and a clothing store is the Baldwin Hotel. I looked up this hotel later when I got back in my room and found out that it went out of business late last month.

I stood in the Refrigerated Section at the Sutter Street 7-Eleven store, trying to decide which salad to buy. I decided to have some Nachos w/ Cheese, instead. I added Pico de Gallo and Chopped Onions to it. It was priced at $2.99. I also bought a banana. All in all, I paid close to $4.00 for the two. I think that I was ripped-off!

Here's the Nachos w/ Cheese.
-

I got back to my hotel room and ate the Nachos w/ Cheese. I reserved the banana for breakfast with some tuna and crackers for the following day.

I listened to two presentations on Man's true origin. I said, Listen, because my Adobe Flash Player was not working ( maybe it had to do with a security breach in their software ). Then, I watched a presentation on voice-over work. I was too tired and too sleepy to even bother slipping under the blanket. So, I went to sleep without using the blanket.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment