Saturday, February 2, 2013

SISTERAKAS, NR ( 1 hr & 50 min )

-

where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Saturday, February 2nd, 2013
show:  11:45 a.m. ( Extra-Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs:  $6.50 Ticket + $3.75 20.0 oz Dasani Water + $1.42 Bulk Chocolate Candy = $11.67
auditorium:  4
seat:  3rd row ( counting from the front ), 7th column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview:  Bernardo ( Vice Ganda ) and Bernadette ( Aiai delas Alas ) are close friends as children. Until it is revealed that Bernardo's mother is the mistress of Bernadette's father, and that Bernardo is the bastard son. Bernardo's mother is pushed down the stairs by the jealous wife. Unceremoniously removed from his father's residence, the disgraced and humiliated Bernardo vows revenge on his father's other family in the presence of his now-paralyzed mother. Years later, Bernardo gets his opportune chance at revenge when Bernadette ( who has fallen on hard times ) unknowingly applies for a job at his fashion design house, The Ponytail.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Textile plant; 2.) School awards; 3.) The other woman; 4.) The promise; 5.) Evil boss; 6.) "Totoy Bernice"; 7.) Perfect fit; 8.) Custody case; 9.) "I will not stop"; 10.) Want Ads; 11.) Eggs; 12.) "This is an office, not a church"; 13.) Chin measurement; 14.) Water station; 15.) School crush; 16.) Good news; 17.) Table of Contents; 18.) Launder and iron; 19.) Fish; 20.) Milk; 21.) "She seems nice. Whatever I do ..." 22.) New design; 23.) "I'm just washing my eyes with my saliva"; 24.) Cup o' Chili; 25.) In-demand male model; 26.) Volleyball; 27.) The "Mole"; 28.) Brief; 29.) Flat tire; 30.) Contract; 31.) Glutathione; 32.) Niece; 33.) Wheelchair; 34.) Vital statistics; 35.) In love; 36.) Recall; 37.) Food court quarrel; 38.) Apology; 39.) New offer; 40.) "Who poked my butt"; 41.) Ghosts; 42.) Sales charts; 43.) National Sharp Chins Day; 44.) Kisses; 45.) Serious talk; 46.) "Lotlot, and friends"; 47.) Chief of Operations; 48.) Evil plan; 49.) Roadside stand; 50.) Warehouse; 51.) "I'm a woman now"; 52.) Guilt trips; 53.) "You're not alone"; 54.) "Just continue where you left off"; 55.) New partnership; and 56.) Outtakes during the Ending Credits.

audience reaction:  The audience liked this movie.

recommendation:  I thought that it was stupid. The Premise was good. But the Acting and the Situations weren't. Go see this only if your taste in Comedy leans heavily on the unrefined side.

spoiler alert!  That little girl's chin looked so fake. Why did the nephew have to sport an old "Justin Bieber" hairstyle? Being a Pilipino, I would think that Bernardo would be "Lactose Intolerant" and shouldn't have drank all of that milk. Those fashion lines looked too garish to me. God, I've never seen a pizza pie that BIG ( yeah, but does it tastes Italian-style? )! I didn't know that they take the phrase, Roadside Stand, quite literally: That vendor's table IS AT THE CURB OF THE ROAD!

fyi:  When I was a little kid growing up in the Philippines, my father would discourage me from watching Pilipino movies. To him, such movies lacked quality and refinement and, as such, were relegatable to the "Bakya Crowd", people too poor to afford to buy shoes and must wear wooden sandals, instead.

Presently, this movie is the highest-grossing Pilipino film of all time. And I really don't see a reason why it should be.

One of the actresses in this movie, Ms. Gloria Diaz ( Miss Universe, 1969 ), is a first cousin of my late mother.

Totoy, in my Cebuano Language, means Breast(s).

It truly is inhumane the way they treat their servants in the Philippines. The abusively-exploited servants are more like slaves than anything else!

Vice Ganda bears an uncanny resemblance to the Chinese actor, Donnie Yen. They look like they could be identical twins separated at birth! Hey, they could do a movie along the "Good twin/Evil twin" line, something like: Kung Fu vs. Kung Fruit.

Donnie Yen, Martial Artist ( I found this on the Internet )
Vice Ganda, Make-up Artist ( I found this on the Internet )
-

word of advice:  "Revenge is a dish best served cold." ( STAR TREK: WRATH OF KHAN [ 1982 ] )

tidbits:  As I waited in line at the box office to buy my ticket for this movie, my sister ( the one who lives in Fairfield, CA ) came up to greet me. She was there with her daughter. They were in line to buy tickets for BULLET TO THE HEAD. I told them to go see WARM BODIES, instead, that it is way better than TWILIGHT. She said that she and her daughter will see it tomorrow. I hope that they do because I'm pretty sure that they'll like watching WARM BODIES.

Before the movie started, the audience was treated to a promotional short for the upcoming DESPICABLE ME, 2 movie. It's the one with the Minions changing a light bulb. When the Minion holding the light bulb said, "Eh, narito na." The mostly-Pilipino audience laughed because it is Tagalog for, "Hey, it's here." Ha, ha, ha. And the line, "Okay, dito tara" sounds similar to the Tagalog command, "Okay, dito ka na." ( English: "Okay, you stay here." ) Hey, wait a minute .... Are the minions just a bunch of Pilipinos in disguise ...?

After the movie, I went to the FedEx/Kinkos store in the Safeway Shopping Center on Admiral Callaghan Lane here in Vallejo to make copies of my Chiropractor's appointment to give to my manager because he keeps messing-up my appointments. I think that he wants me to miss my scheduled appointments so that I become permanently disabled.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment