Monday, April 15, 2013

42, PG-13 ( 2 hr & 8 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Monday, April 15th, 2013
show: 1:15 p.m.
costs: $7.50 Ticket + $1.77 bulk Chocolate Candies + $3.50 1-litre Dasani Water = $12.77
auditorium: 8
seat: 6th row ( counting from the front ), 8ht column ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: In Postwar America, racism rears its ugly head once again when GM Branch Rickey ( Harrison Ford ) of the Brooklyn Dodgers throws caution to the wind and signs-on the very first black player in Major League Baseball history, Jackie Robinson ( Chadwick Boseman ). Despite facing strong opposition on all sides, Jackie shows remarkable restraint and channels all his anger and rage into the game to become a great player and a very popular hero to the underprivileged, earning for himself the highly-coveted title of "Rookie of the Year" and, at the same time, forever changing the world of Major League Baseball. Based on a True Story.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Three hundred ninety-nine; 2.) "Every dollar is green"; 3.) Toilet; 4.) "God's a methodist"; 5.) "I want a player who has got the guts not to fight back"; 6.) Airport; 7.) "There are no other wives"; 8.) Spring training; 9.) Stealing bases; 10.) Warning; 11.) Cop; 12.) Encouragement; 13.) "Put the natural fear of God in them"; 14.) Opening day; 15.) Baby; 16.) Adultery; 17.) Petition; 18.) Conspicuous; 19.) "Show of force"; 20.) Suspension; 21.) Contract; 22.) "Blank page"; 23.) "Jackie's definitely brunette"; 24.) Sleep and flowers; 25.) "I thought so"; 26.) Heel bone; 27.) Heckler; 28.) "I have to live with myself, too"; 29.) Sympathy; 30.) "'You think God likes baseball"; 31.) Hotel driveway; 32.) "Lynch mob without hoods"; 33.) Photo-op; 34.) Hate mail; 35.) "I need them to know who I am"; 36.) Shower; 37.) Spiked; 38.) "He was pretending he was you"; 39.) "You made me love Baseball again"; 40.) Home, sweet home; and 41.) Character updates during the Ending Credits.

prediction: Harrison Ford will get nominated for an Oscar.

audience reaction: The audience enjoyed this movie and gave it a well-deserved "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation: I'm not a Baseball fan, but I liked this movie. Go see this movie if you want to know what life was like back in the late 40s here in America.

spoiler alert! I didn't notice anything wrong in this movie since I don't have the required "baseball knowledge" to do so.

fyi: No, this movie is not the prequel to MOVIE 43!!!

Of all the sports invented by man, the oldest one is Baseball which seems as old as Time, itself. The very first reference to the game of Baseball can be found in the Old Testament of The Bible, Book of Genesis, chapter 1, verse 1: "In the Big Inning ...."                                                      







( Gotcha! )

word of advice: Judge not a man by the color of his skin.

Action speaks louder than words.

tidbits: I started my day with an 8:30 a.m. spinal adjustment at my Chiropractor's clinic. I didn't hear my lower back pop. I guess the muscles in my lower back are tight, once again.

After my spinal adjustment, I went to Wheel Works, three buildings down from the clinic, to let the service adviser, David, know that my Hyundai's "Check Engine" light came-on briefly ( half a second ) two Saturdays ago, a little after 10:00 p.m. as I was leaving the MacDonald's Restaurant in the Target Shopping Center on Admiral Callaghan Lane here in Vallejo. David told me that it was a "soft code" that their diagnostic machine wouldn't be able to pick-up since it was too brief to register anything in my car's on-board computer. So, I told him that I will just wait for it to come-on again before I take it in for a diagnostic check--hopefully, it won't happen again. And I asked him exactly how many sensors does my Hyundai Accent have because they all seem to be failing around the 80K to 100K mark. Knowing what I was leading-up to, he said that it wouldn't make sense to replace all of the existing sensors 'cause the "Check Engine" light could come-on for any number of reasons! Oh, boy, do I ever miss my '94 Geo Metro now ....

Then, I went to Vallejo's Main Post Office to put a "vacation hold" on my mail for when I go on vacation in a few days. There was a long line at the post office, stretching all the way out the door. I later realized that it was because today is April 15th, traditionally the last day to file one's income taxes. But I thought that the deadline date was moved to April 18th, according to a news article that I read recently.

I went back home to rest for a while and to write-out a check payment for my 'phone bill, which I dropped-off at Goin' Postal at the Food Maxx Shopping Center on the corner of Tuolumne and Redwood Streets here in Vallejo.

I drove to Springs Road Shopping Center to buy a couple of things at the 99-Cent Only Store. I spent $2.00 on my food purchase which consisted of a bag of party mix and a bunch of I-can't-say-it-because-the-"Banana-Police"-in-Benicia, CA, -still-actively-monitors-my-blogsite! Ha, ha, ha.

And I went to the Selecta Pilipino Buffet next door to it to have lunch and to buy some lottery tickets. I spent $17.58 for everything. The owner's wife and I got into talking about the income tax filing deadline because she was e-filing her tax returns today. And I assured her that there was a 3-day extension on the tax return deadline. She seemed aware of it, too. But, she was filing hers today, just in case.

After the movie, I went to the Dollar Tree Store at the Target Shopping Center, on Admiral Callaghan Lane here in Vallejo, to buy a jar of Parmesan Cheese topping ( for spaghetti ), a quarter-pounder chocolate candy, and a 4-pack of AA batteries. All in all, I spent $3.07.

By the way, the AA batteries that I mentioned above is the 4-Pack Sunbeam AA High-Drain Batteries--it is worth the money. You get your money's worth on it since it is about as good, if not better, than Duracell's AA batteries. It's probably the only thing made in China that you can find at a dollar store that is worth spending your hard-earned money on!!! Trust me ....

I saw a co-worker of mine, Jason, and his family at the dollar store. We waved to each other in acknowledgment.

Then, I went to the MacDonald's Restaurant in the same shopping center to buy a large drink ( Sweet Tea ) and three cookies ( 1 Chocolate Chip and 2 Oatmeal Raisin Cookies ). I spent $2.17 on my purchase.

And it was time for me to update my old computer while I was at MacDonald's. My old Compaq Presario laptop's internal modem was acting-up a few days ago. In frustration, I transferred all of my files to my Seagate External Hard Drive ( It's simply amazing how minuscule the total amount of all my file folders is when stored in a 2TB Hard Drive!!! ) before I did a PC restore on my computer. I brought it with me to MacDonald's so I could take advantage of their free Wi-Fi service to re-install some programs that the restore function removed. My 8-year-old laptop is working better now. But, eventually, I will have to scrub its Hard Drive, change its Processor and replace its Memory Chips ( again ) at the end of June, a couple of months from now.

It was when I was updating and upgrading my computer that I learned of today's bomb attacks near the finish line of the Boston Marathon---'Such a senseless, evil, cowardly, despicable and unconscionable act! Please pray for the families and loved ones of the innocent victims of this Evilness!!! My heart goes out to all of them on this Sad and Tragic day. Even as I write this, some teens dining in this restaurant are watching the news of the bombings on their iPhones.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment