Thursday, May 19, 2011

GO FOR IT, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 27 min )


 
where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in  Vallejo, CA
when:  Wednesday, May 18th, 2011
show:  11:40 a.m. ( Extra Dollar Off First Show Matinee )
costs:  $6.50 Ticket + $6.81 Chipotle Burger Combo Meal before the show @ Wendy's Restaurant across the street from the theatre = $13.31
auditorium:  3
seat:  3rd row, 7th column

synopsis/overview:  A girl, Carmen ( Aimee Garcia ), is torn between her passion for dancing and what her Mexican-American family expects of  her.
 

noteworthy scenes:  1.) Hip-hop dance show; 2.) "What are your aspirations"; 3.) "Viva Mexico"; 4.) Classroom dance; 5.) The grocery store; 6.) Classroom fight; 7.) Dancing practice in the park; 8.) Dinner argument;  9.) Messed-up routine; 10.) Lockland School of  Dance enrollment application; 11.) Grocery shopping; 12.) Night-time picnic; 13.) Dinner with the white folks; 14.) Suspension letter; 15.) "Fight for your right to party"; 16.) The bruised arm; 17.) Coffee shop; 18.) The oriental competitors; 19.) The kiss to the cheek; 20.) "You're acting like a total idiot"; 21.) "Baby, wake up"; 22.) "You know what's not easy?  This"; 23.) "Running is a hard habit to break"; 24.) "You'll have to move on for her"; 25.) New girlfriend; 26.) "I want us to be kids again"; 27.) "I hurt people, too"; 28.) E-mail; 29.) "Second chances don't discriminate"; 30.) Cemetery; 31.) The gift; and 32.) The audition.

favorite scene:  I liked the Chinese costume dance scene.

audience reaction:  N/A.  There was only one other person in the auditorium with me.  And I didn't hear a reaction from said person.

recommendation:  This is so-so.  Hip-hop movies was a "big thing" a few years back.  The only difference between then and now is that in this movie only girls are allowed to do all the bouncy, jiggly and leg-spreading moves--yeah, about time, too!  Ha, ha, ha.  Anyway, if  you like to see girls doing aggressive and  sexually provocative dance moves, then this movie is for you.  Enough said.

spoiler alert!  Gina's ( Gina Rodriguez ) exposed big belly and "whale-tailing" thong really spoiled it for me!  That Gina was so rude to her customer at the check-out line--it must be a family-owned store--perhaps the reason why she didn't get fired.  Why didn't  Carmen's dad stop the dinner argument and the  fight later on?  Maybe, the "dad" forgot his lines or something.  That wasn't a Mexican vegetable, that was a Starfruit!  We Americans will eat anything, too:  they're called "Hot-dogs" and "Head-cheese".  Why did Carmen's dad wear overalls just to sweep the porch steps with a broom?  I guess they  skipped the "awkward introduction" part on the Hispanic side of  the equation--Hey! that's discrimination.  Ha, ha, ha--not funny.  The gravestone's year-of-death was 2008; does this mean that the movie was shelved during the last two years or so?

fyi:  Whenever my friend, Hector, would get a call on the 'phone from any one of  his Puerto Rican relatives or in-laws and they start speaking in Spanish  ( should that be Puerto Ricanish? ), and I just happen to be there, I would yell out, Viva Mexico! y viva la raza tambien ,  just to piss them off--'works every time.  Heh, heh, heh.

The scene in which she is doing her dance moves in the park on a cold, rainy day while wearing a yellow tank-top that accentuates her nipples is called a "Fripple" Shot.  (  "Fripple" is short  for "Frozen Nipples".)  No wonder the teacher couldn't help but sit himself  down right next to her--for a better look! ( That "dirty old fart". )   Some of  you might argue that the scene is a "Wet T-Shirt" Shot.  But, begging to differ, the shirt wasn't really that wet; and it was a cold day.  Therefore ... it was definitely a "Fripple Shot".   Ahh ... the things you learn from just reading my movie blogs.  I do my sincere best to help increase the world's literacy rate, what else can I say ....

word of  advice:  "If you believe, you can achieve."

tidbits:  I looked at three townhouses today which are offered on a "short sale" basis.  The houses were foreclosed on.  They're all beautiful houses in a gated community.  If  I could, I'd buy all three of them.

The only downside to them is that I'd have to pay a monthly HOA dues.  And the dues can go up every year, just like at my condo.  And when you pay on an HOA dues, you're simply paying someone to tell you what you can do and what you cannot do on your own property!   And you cannot claim HOA dues on your tax return.  It's kind of  a rip-off, if  you ask me.

I liked the second house, especially because its two-car garage has an interesting feature: a hide-away nook.  And it has ceiling fans, although ... the microwave, refrigerator, gas range and dishwasher had all been removed.

The mortgage lender was not available.  So, I decided to wait by having a meal first and then seeing this movie.  Still, he was not available.  I'll call him tomorrow and see if  he can work me up a good offer.

On Monday, the 16th, I visited my friend, Hector, in Oakland, CA.  I parked my white Geo Metro at the curb across the street from his house.  Later on, sometime around 6:00 p.m., as I was standing on the porch talking long-distance to my sister in Grand Rapids, Michigan,  I noticed something odd on my car's quarter panel above the left tire.  As I looked at it more intently, I realized that it was a big dent!  My car was the victim of  a hit-and-run driver.  The right rear tire was shoved up against the curb, but not the right front tire.  Meaning, my car was hit by a vehicle backing out of  my friend's Chinese ( ? ) next door neighbors' driveway.  The dent was smudged with black paint and it was at such a height that only a truck or an SUV could have caused it.  And the next door neighbors have a daughter ( ? ) who drives a black SUV.  I suspected that it was her.

Yesterday, Tuesday, the 17th, I reported the hit-and-run incident to my insurance company, CSAA.  And I told the Claims Department about my suspicion regarding the female living next door to Hector's place.

Today, while I was having lunch at  Wendy's Restaurant, I called Hector on my cellphone.  Hector and his son, Ernesto, were outside looking at the woman's SUV and, sure enough, it has a big dent in its left rear corner with white paint smudge on it!  Hector and his son took pictures of  the incriminating proof.  The next time that I go to Oakland, CA, I will confront that bitch  about the incident.  If  she denies it, the cops and the insurance company can always do a color match on the paints.  Hit-and-run collision is a crime that will ruin her driving record if  she decides to be uncooperative with me.   So, she'd better 'fess-up 'cause the only way that she can get on my good side over this incident, if she denies involvement,  is if  she is single, available, young, innocent, beautiful, hot and sexy--which I doubt very much!  In which case, I shall make sure that she is prostituted--opps, prosecuted--to the fullest extent of  the law.

Tomorrow, the 19th, I will have to take my Geo Metro to WheelWorks and have them check the alignment on the right rear tire.

No comments:

Post a Comment