Saturday, May 21, 2011

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES, 3-D ( 2 hr & 21 min )


where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Friday, May 20th, 2011
show:  12:01 a.m.
costs:  $13.75 Ticket + $5.50 small Popcorn w/ Butter + $4.50 medium Diet/Zero ( w/ Barq's & Cherry flavors ) Coke = $23.75
auditorium:  8, with the 3-D screen
seat:  5th row, 8th column

2nd time

where:  EDWARDS FAIRFIELD STADIUM 16 & I-MAX in Fairfield, CA
when:   Monday, May 23rd, 2011
show:  12:50 p.m.
costs:  $17.50 Ticket + $6.00 small Popcorn + $1.00 3.1 oz. Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites ( bought at 99-Cent Only Store and smuggled-in ) + $0.00 small Diet Coke ( Free on Regal Crown Club rewards card ) = $24.50
auditorium:  12, with the I-Max screen
seat:  5th row, 6th seat
 

synopsis/overview:  Captain Jack Sparrow ( Johnny Depp ) sets his compass on a new quest: The search for the fabled Fountain of  Youth.
 

noteworthy scenes:  1.) The fishermen; 2.) Trial; 3.) Short trip; 4.) "There should be a captain in there somewhere"; 5.) The privateer, Hector Barbossa ( Geoffrey Rush ); 6.) "Does this face look like it has been to the Fountain of  Youth"; 7.) Sword fight; 8.) "I mistook it  for a brothel"; 9.) Trap-door; 10.) The map; 11.) Queen Anne's Revenge"; 12.) Zombiefied; 13.) Angelica ( Penelope Cruz ), the daughter; 14.) Prophecy; 15.) "The fountain be the prize"; 16.) Mutiny; 17.) Blackbeard ( Ian McShane ); 18.) "I can name fingers and point names"; 19.) "Pray he be delivered from evil"; 20.) Voodoo doll; 21.) "Are we not King's men"; 22.) The profane ritual; 23.) "You lied to me by telling me the truth"; 24.) Mermaid hunting; 25.) "I'm in love"; 26.) The glass coffin; 27.) The jump; 28.) Hobby; 29.) "You will walk"; 30.) "You pushed me down out of  the way"; 31.) Rocks; 32.) "You stole my map"; 33.) "We need but one tear"; 34.) "There's a girl, female, of  the opposite sex"; 35.) "You don't have termites, do you"; 36.) "Your sword smells funny"; 37.) "Tears of  joy"; 38.) "I want one of  those"; 39.) "I survived"; 40.) "Can we have a drink"; 41.) Water droplet; 42.) Stalactite; 43.) "Aqua de Vida"; 44.) Secret cavern; 45.) "One-legged man"; 46.) Fight; 47.) "Only God can grant Eternal Life"; 48.) "Venomous advantage"; 49.) "Do not waste my tear"; 50.) "I can't save you both"; 51.) "Forgive me"; 52.) "I hate you"; 53.) "I've actually never been that drunk"; 54.) "I gotta go"; 55.) Feast your eyes"; 56.) "I know a man with a goat"; 57.) "It's the pirate's life for me"; and 58.) Bonus Scene after the Ending Credits.

audience reaction:  The audience enjoyed this.  Some people in the audience gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

2nd audience reaction:  The audience this time around was not  as lively and/or as responsive as the midnight show audience.  But they still liked this movie.

recommendation:  I liked it.  Go see this movie.

spoiler alert!  So that old cast-away man just happened to be underwater all that time.  Sure ....  And how come none of  the fish in the net flopped around?  If you're gonna bribe a judge, a lawyer or a juror, in front of  everyone while the court is in session is not the place to do it!  How did news of  the find travel to England so fast when the distance between Spain and England is almost 800 miles?  When that sliced, cream-filled puffed pastry got stuck up on the chandelier, half  of  it should have fallen down.  How did the charcoal catch on  fire really fast?  And where can I buy such charcoal for my  barbecue party?  When they escaped through the trap-door, why didn't the soldiers shoot at them?   The trident mark carved onto Jack Sparrow's chest didn't bleed.  What happened to all of  the mermen?   Maybe the mermen were attending mass at the Church of  the Latter Day Sands.  ( I know it's a stupid pun.  But that's what makes a pun fun. )  You call those, "Mermaids"?  They were more like vampires with scales and fins!  I guess mermaids don't like to eat zombies--they prefer "fresh meat".   Ha, ha, ha.   As their shipmates were being eaten alive by the mermaids and their ship being sunk, the men onshore just went about their business like nothing serious was happening to their fellow crew--bad directing and bad acting!  Wouldn't it have been better, for transport, to have the glass coffin set in a cart?  If  you remember well the first installment in this franchise, there is a "Wet T-Shirt" scene in it.  But this fourth installment doesn't have such a scene--bummer!  Those pirates had been out at sea for a considerably long time away from the company of  "accommodating" women; so, don't tell me that not one of  them volunteered to stay behind and "guard" the sexually-compromised mermaid whose hands were tied above her head and who was wearing nothing but an unbuttoned wet shirt--bad directing.  Yup!  Hey, who took-off the mermaid's shirt?  I'm just asking because I didn't see it happen--no one did!  I want the director, Gore Verbinski, back at the helm for part 5!  ( "Remove, please ...."  Remember this line? )  There was no way for him to have climbed up on top of  the coconut tree because the fronds would have kept his rope-bound body from doing so.  He would have to free himself  of  his bondage, first, before he could start climbing to the top of  the tree; but it wasn't shown how he got out of  bondage.  The cut on Angelica's palm wasn't bloody enough.  That skeletal arm somehow held itself  steady at a "right angle" to the swirling mass of  water--B.S.!  And the water didn't even splash away from the skeletal arm--it was just deflected.  And a skeletal arm should not be able to  move since it has no muscles to move itself  with!  Why didn't  Angelica run to the rowboat alongside Jack?  What was to keep her from doing so?   Juan Ponce de Leon was hit by a poisoned arrow in a battle with the natives of  Florida.  De Leon  was taken back to Cuba where he died of  his wound in July of  1521.

fyi:  If you think  hard  about it, you'll  come  to the conclusion that the "fountain of  youth" is nothing more than just  a  splashy  euphemism for a young virile male's ability to copiously  orgasm.  In other words, it was perceived to be a cure for impotence.

If  you "can't get it up any longer", you probably have arterial blockages.   I guess my arteries are clog-free after all.

Saint Augustine, Florida, is where you'll find the Fountain of  Youth National Archaeological Park.  And, no, its water won't make you young and/or cure you of  your impotence.  ( 'Sorry to disappoint you. )  It was so named because it is widely believed that it was in that area that the conquistador Juan Ponce de Leon, who legend claims went in search of  the Fountain of  Youth,  discovered Florida.
 
Do these  mermaids smell like tuna?  I.y.k.w.i.m. ( if you know what I mean )--wink, wink.

I was gonna ask,  How come these mermaids don't have breasts?  But, then, I remembered that  I've never seen breasts on whales, either, even though they're mammals!  I hate it sometimes when I know that I'm right about something.


I honestly thought that Syrena was played by Ellen Page because the preview for this movie showed the girl ( Astrid Berges-Frisbey ) with a very striking resemblance to her.

word of  advice:  If you swear-off  food, you'll get hungry.  Likewise, if  you swear-off sex, you'll get horny--and there's  Your  Impotence Cure!  I just saved you a trip to the doctor's office.  What do you think ...?

tidbits:  Because of  the length of  this movie, I just decided to see it here in Vallejo instead of  in Fairfield ( where I usually go for midnight shows ).

A man  went  to his doctor for his annual physical examination.  When he returned home, his wife was surprised to see him wearing a very nice and very expensive suit, as well as a fancy pair of  shoes.  The wife asked,  "Why are you dressed in such a way?"  And he said, "Because the doctor said that I'm a very impotent  man."

2nd tidbits:  I took my white Geo Metro to Broadway Auto Body Shop first thing this morning to get an estimate for the repair work.  It will be $250.oo out of  my own pocket to pay for some bitch's driving incompetence  and  irresponsibility!  I'll go to Oakland, CA, on Wednesday to see if  I can get her to admit responsibility.  Otherwise, something bad might  happen to  the  bitch's  black SUV--and there will be nobody around to witness it  happen!  Just like nobody saw the hit-and-run done to my car.

Special Announcement:  I would like to take this time to say, Thank You and Welcome, to my readers in the following countries:

Antigua and Barbuda, Estonia and Iraq

Thank you, once again.  Please keep on reading my weekly updates.  And don't forget to tell your friends, and everyone else who you know, about my movie blogsite.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment