Tuesday, January 29, 2013

THE IMPOSSIBLE, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 43 min )

-

-

where:  BRENDEN VACAVILLE 16 in Vacaville, CA
when:  Tuesday, January 29th, 2013
show:  5:00 p.m.
costs:  $6.00 Ticket + $3.50 20.0 oz Aquafina Water + $4.95 Starbucks' Protein Bistro Box + $1.95 23.7 oz Ethos Water = $16.40
auditorium:  15
seat:  3rd row ( counting from the front ), 7th row ( counting from the left )

synopsis/overview: In December of 2004, a family of five vacations in Thailand for the Holidays. What was meant to be a wonderful vacation turns into a nightmarish ordeal for the family when a tsunami hits the resort the day after Christmas. Based on a true story.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) The alarm; 2.) "I wonder who he takes after"; 3.) "You don't look Japanese"; 4.) Christmas presents; 5.) Tsunami; 6.) Injuries; 7.) Aftermath; 8.) Little boy lost; 9.) Tree; 10.) Village; 11.) Hospital; 12.) "What color is it"; 13.) Cough; 14.) Names; 15.) Children's area; 16.) The ball; 17.) Hotel room; 18.) "Scariest part"; 19.) Cellphone; 20.) "I can't stop looking"; 21.) "I found a note from my wife"; 22.) 'Phone call; 23.) "Can I go with you"; 24.) "How old are you"; 25.) Stars; 26.) Watch and jewelry; 27.) "She lost a lot of blood"; 28.) Corpses; 29.) "Where are my kids"; 30.) Boy and dad; 31.) Leg; 32.) Five minutes; 33.) "I need to pee"; 34.) The brothers; 35.) "Let's go. No need to wait"; 36.) "Am I dead"; 37.) "There's one thing I didn't tell mom"; 38.) "I have a family, too. I've been saving my strength because I want to see them again one more time"; 39.) Flashback; 40.) Dream; 41.) Airplane; 42.) Scene of devastation; and 43.) Picture of the real family at the start of the Ending Credits.

favorite scenes:  I liked the scenes with the tsunami.

prediction:  Naomi Watts will win an Oscar for Best Actress with her stellar performance in this movie.

audience reaction:  The audience liked it. But it didn't get a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation:  I liked this movie, too. Go see it.

spoiler alert!  Okay, how come nobody was swatting at mosquitoes? Why wasn't he affected by the foul stench of the corpses' putrefying flesh when he looked at the faces of the victims laid out in the hot and humid weather? Why was the water in the dream sequence crystal-clear ( symbolism, perhaps )?

fyi: I liked this better than Clint Eastwood's version, HEREAFTER ( 2010 ). You might want to re-read what I wrote about that movie in the fyi: section of my blog.

I thought I heard Hawaiian music in one scene of this movie. The song list in the Ending Credits confirmed it for me. It was a song by the Hawaiian ukulele legend, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. This last Friday, January 25th, the Vallejo Times Herald did a feature on his nephew who lives and teaches ukulele lessons somewhere here in Solano County, of which Vallejo is a part of.

Here's one little fact that you may not have known of: A native Thai lived close to where a crocodile had its territory. They knew each other by sight, as they would see each other everyday as the man would go about this daily business. And both of them were swept-off to sea by the tsunami. The crocodile saved the man's life when it swam past him so that he was able to hitch a ride back to shore on it!

word of advice: Beachfront resorts are not always the best place to be at.

tidbits:  The movie started the moment I stepped inside the auditorium. You know what that means. Yes, that's right. Nineteen minutes of previews, instead of the usual ten! But I'm not complaining this time--just this time.

After the movie, I went to the Starbucks across the parking lot from the theatre to blog about this movie. It was my first time here.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment