Tuesday, January 15, 2013

GANGSTER SQUAD, R ( 1 hr & 50 min )

-

where:  CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when:  Monday, January 14th, 2013
show:  4:40 p.m.
costs:  $7.50 Ticket + $3.75 2.5 oz Jamba Tropical Trail Mix + $4.50 1-litre Dasani Water = $15.75
auditorium:  14
seat:  6th row ( from the front ), 4th seat ( from the left )

synopsis/overview:  An ambitious mob boss, Mickey Cohen ( Sean Penn ), wants to own and run Los Angeles, CA, with the help of his thugs, and corrupt cops and politicians. But a war veteran/hero police sergeant, Sgt. O'Mara ( Josh Brolin ), and his hand-picked men, wage a personal war against Cohen to retake Los Angeles.

noteworthy scenes:  1.) "Los Angeles belongs to Mickey Cohen"; 2.) "Welcome to Los Angeles, man"; 3.) Seedy hotel; 4.) Elevator shaft; 5.) "Etiquette tutor"; 6.) "We're losing her to an Eastern enemy"; 7.) "New mission"; 8.) Recruits; 9.) "Los Angeles is my f-cking destiny"; 10.) "One rule"; 11.) Bad cops; 12.) "You can't shoot me. You're a cop"; 13.) "Jailbreak"; 14.) Home invasion; 15.) Target shooting; 16.) Wiretapped; 17.) "I can't believe we're going back to Burbank"; 18.) "You retired"; 19.) "You know the drill"; 20.) "Shove him in the right direction"; 21.) "Stepped-up timetable"; 22.) Pride and joy; 23.) "I'm looking-out for you"; 24.) "Your dad's a genius"; 25.) "We already took care of that"; 26.) Beaten-up police; 27.) Gangster squad; 28.) "Like a dog with rabies"; 29.) Acid; 30.) Chinatown; 31.) "My boxing days are over"; 32.) "Well, Sarge, this is where I get off"; 33.) Bathtub; 34.) Witness; 35.) Warrant; 36.) Hotel lobby; 37.) Fountain; 38.) "Help me aim"; and 39.) Alcatraz.

audience reaction:
  The audience seemed "lukewarm" to this movie. But a little, old white lady gave it a "Hands Clapper" ending.

recommendation:  It was okay. But I couldn't help being distracted by Mickey's nose--'something weird about it--whenever it would pop-up on-screen. The movie seemed "run-of-the-mill" to me. You may or may not want to go see this Gangster movie.

spoiler alert!  I really don't think that a hide-away bed, designed with space-saving utility in mind, has enough room in it, in its closed position, for the trapped girl to right herself up and turn around to face forward. Multiple shots were fired inside the jail cell but no bullet ricocheted. Why couldn't the guard dog hear and/or smell them? This movie is not a true depiction of Mickey Cohen's rise and fall as a mob boss. A disclaimer in the Ending Credits says that the characters, events and places in this movie don't bear resemblance to real people, events and places. To Whom It May Concern: Fire the person responsible for this gaffe and hire my services as Cine-Man, Ending Credits Editor, instead! Ha, ha, ha.

fyi:  Usually, if a movie is based on actual people, events and places, the disclaimer in the Ending Credits will say along the lines that certain characters were created and/or composited and some dialogue was created for dramatic purposes or suchlike.

According to Northern California-based Bay Area News Group's Contra Costa Times movie reviewer, Randy Myers ( in the Timeout Section, page 1E, for the Friday, January 11th, 2013, edition:

"The film noir originally was slated for release this past September, but it was delayed after the Aurora, Colo., tragedy ( mentioned in my Batman blog, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES [ July 23, 2012 ]--Cine-Man's note ) to accommodate for a reshoot to replace a sequence involving a shooting in a movie theater ( the scene which replaced it is the Chinatown scene--Cine-Man's note )."

A mugshot of the real Meyer "Mickey" Cohen ( source: Wikipedia ). He kind of looks like Danny DeVito! Don't you think so?
-
If I were the Casting Agent, I would have picked Danny DeVito for the Mickey Cohen role! LOL. ( I found this on the Internet. )

word of advice:  Read-up on Mickey Cohen.

tidbits: Before I went to see this movie, I went to the Fed-Ex Kinko's store to make a zerox copy of a bill payment. Then, I drove by the Springstowne Post Office to drop-off my bill payment.

Then, I went to the Selecta Pilipino Buffet on Springs Road to have lunch and to read-up on some news articles in a couple of  Pilipino newspapers.

After the movie, I wanted to ask the little, old white lady what she thought of it, knowing that she probably knew certain things about the real-life Mickey Cohen. But, I changed my mind ....

Maybe I should add an interview: subhead to some of my future blogs. Yeah, I think I'll do that! It's a good idea waiting to get implemented.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment