Tuesday, January 22, 2013

MAMA, PG-13 ( 1 hr & 40 min )

-

where: CENTURY 14 VALLEJO in Vallejo, CA
when: Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013
show: 2:20 p.m.
costs: $7.50 Ticket + $4.50 1-litre Dasani Water = $12.00
auditorium: 7
seat: 5th row ( from the front ), 9th column ( from the left )

synopsis/overview: Hell hath no fury than a ghost baby mama spurned!

Two little girls who disappeared with their father after their mother was found dead are discovered five years later and are reintroduced into society. They live in a house with their father' ( twin? ) brother, Lucas ( Nikolaj Coster-Waldau ) and his live-in girlfriend, Annabel ( Jessica Chastain ). But what has jealously-kept the girls alive the past five years moves in with them, too.

noteworthy scenes: 1.) Road accident; 2.) Cabin; 3.) Supernatural intervention; 4.) Cherry; 5.) Trackers; 6.) Cherry pits; 7.) "Daddy"; 8.) "Mama"; 9.) Case studies; 10.) The story; 11.) "I was in a rock band"; 12.) Dog; 13.) Page 31; 14.) Bedroom playtime; 15.) Flickering lights; 16.) Fall; 17.) Hospital; 18.) "They made that"; 19.) 'Phone call; 20.) "What's funny"; 21.) Closet; 22.) Lullaby; 23.) Human remains; 24.) Behind Annabel; 25.) "Save my girls"; 26.) Moths; 27.) "You can't do that. She gets jealous"; 28.) Bruises; 29.) A need for evidence; 30.) "I have to go"; 31.) "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proofs"; 32.) Dream; 33.) "Victoria, come. Mama ..."; 34.) "I know your name. I know what you want"; 35.) "How'd you get down here"; 36.) "'You like that"; 37.) The closet, once more; 38.) Case file; 39.) Wilson Pass; 40.) Hypnotherapy session; 41.) "Don't look at her, she's mad"; 42.) The nosy aunt; 43.) The old box; and 44.) The cliff.

audience reaction:  I didn't hear a reaction from the audience. But I'm sure that they were kept in suspense throughout the movie.

recommendation:  I didn't find this movie scary in the usual sense. By that, I mean the scenes with the girls crawling around in the dark were scarier--in a creepy sort of way--than the scenes showing the  "Mama" ghost. Horror fans would probably like this.

spoiler alert!  A person who dies willingly by committing suicide won't have a strong "physical" manifestation as a ghost; but a person who doesn't want to die but dies a traumatic death will have a strong "physical" manifestation as a ghost; especially if that person has some "unfinished business" in the physical world. With that said, why didn't the girl's own mother manifest herself? What's with the damn moths?!?!?! A dog's olfactory organ has a very sophisticated scent-processing ability and a very strong scent memory ( 'remember the Bloodhound scene? ). Therefore, the Dachshund should have easily recognized Victoria ( Isabelle Nelisse ) and should have been happily excited upon seeing her again! Do people really keep hammers in their bedroom--whatever happened to keeping a baseball bat handy? ( Too cliche, perhaps. )  Who would venture out in the wilderness at night and all alone--is it a "white people" thing? A ghost with a ninja death-touch! Wow .... That couple has a lot of explaining to do to the authorities concerning what happened in the cabin and at the cliff. I didn't like the Ending--it was kind of a let-down.

fyi: My own mother died at the local Kaiser-Permanente Hospital's ICU on February 3rd, 1996, at 12:45 a.m. But, to this day, I still get "visitations" from her ( yeah, talk about lack of personal privacy--ahem! ). Some stuff of mine would go missing and reappear two or three days later in the same exact spot where I last saw them! And "The Club" steering wheel lock on my car I would find, at times, to have already been unlocked for me the next time that I would get in my car. In fact, today, after I had eaten lunch at Selecta Pilipino Buffet on Springsroad, here in Vallejo, and just about 25 minutes before this movie started, I returned to my car only to find out that "The Club" was already unlocked for me for the "nth" time!

"The Club" steering wheel lock on my 2001 Hyundai Accent first became unlocked by "itself" after I saw Tom Cruise's THE LAST SAMURAI ( 2003 ) at the BRENDEN CONCORD 14 CINEMAS in Concord, CA.

This is like "The Club" steering wheel lock that I have for my car. Except that mine is a dark blue color.
-

The thought just occurred to me as I sat watching the Opening Scene: Water is clear but Snow is white--'weird ....

word of advice: Show respect for the dead and give them a decent burial.

tidbits: On the intersection of Admiral Callaghan Lane and Plaza Drive, a few blocks away from this theatre, as I made a left turn, a red Ford Mustang across the intersection made a U-turn and ended-up climbing unto the sidewalk. Either the driver didn't know how to make a proper U-turn or the Ford Mustang just has a big turning radius. No wonder there is a "No U-turn" sign posted at the traffic light--for poorly-skilled idiots like him.

I would have negotiated that U-turn quite easily in my Hyundai Accent!

I called my brother before I went up to the box office to buy a movie ticket. I did so so that he could add my new cellphone number to his contact list and get rid of my old cellphone number.

This theatre has The Hobbit T-shirts on sale at the close-out price of just $5.00. I'm tempted to get one.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment