Thursday, October 20, 2011

MACHINE GUN PREACHER, R ( 2 hr & 7 min )


This is probably The Best night-time picture that I've taken with my digital camera so far!

where:  CINE ARTS @ PLEASANT HILL in Pleasant Hill, CA
when:   Wednesday, October 19th, 2011
show:  7:25 p.m.
costs:  $10.25 Ticket + $4.00 Hot Dog + $4.00 small Barq's Root Beer + $1.00 3.1 oz. Fudge Brownie Cookie Dough Bites ( bought sometime ago at the Dollar Tree Store and smuggled-in ) + $5.00 Carquinez Bridge Toll = $24.25
auditorium:  4
seat:  5th row, Left Section, 6th column


synopsis/overview:  Sam Childers ( Gerard Butler ), a violent biker with more than a few run-ins with the Law, becomes a Christian and finds his true calling in war-torn Sudan, Africa, where he builds an orphanage for at-risk children.  Based on a True Story of  Violence and Redemption.


noteworthy scenes:   1.)  Raid; 2.) Ford Pinto; 3.) "It ain't right in the eyes of God"; 4.) Bar; 5.) Robbery; 6.) Hitchhiker; 7.) "Help me"; 8.) Baptism; 9.) "God was looking out for the both of us"; 10.) Blood donor; 11.) Tornado; 12.) New home; 13.) Special guest; 14.) Drug house; 15.) Family talk; 16.) Refugee camp; 17.) Dirty gun; 18.) Children; 19.) Burned-down village; 20.) Land mine; 21.) Construction plans; 22.) Fellowship church; 23.) "I'm buying this land"; 24.) "She's hired"; 25.) Attack; 26.) "Build it again"; 27.) Road block; 28.) Missing brother; 29.) Sermon; 30.) $5,000.00; 31.) Barbecue party; 32.) Pawnshop; 33.) Head bounty; 34.) Meeting with the Sudanese leader; 35.) Sniper; 36.) Night ambush; 37.) The day after the massacre; 38.) "Warrior prophets"; 39.) Meeting with a loan officer; 40.) TV news; 41.) "African Rambo"; 42.) "I've always believed in you"; 43.) Funeral; 44.) Birthday; 45.) Dining hall; 46.) Bridge; 47.) "You have the wish to die"; 48.) Kid's confession; 49.) Soccer; 50.) Caravan; and 51.) Bonus photos and scenes during the Ending Credits.

favorite scene:  I liked the Meeting With The Sudanese Leader scene.  It was a poignant one.

audience reaction:  There were about a half-dozen people in the auditorium with me.  And I heard some reaction from them during the funny scenes and during the tragic scenes.

recommendation:  I liked this Inspirational movie.  Too bad that it's not in wider release.

spoiler alert!  He was in jail for some time yet his motorcycle started right up.  What this movie failed to show was that some of those children actually fell victim to predatory animals like wild dogs, hyenas and lions as they tried to escape from their would-be captors.

fyi:  Years ago, a "born again" christian came knocking at the door of the house where my family lived in in Oakland, CA.  I answered the door.  Normally, I would just tell such solicitors that I wasn't interested.  But this guy was a big, ex-biker gang member--with tattoos and everything--who "found the Lord."  Worried that I might just upset him if I tried to turn him away empty-handed, I stood there and politely listened to his religious spiel.   Yup, that's the thing about "born again" christians; if they had a very violent past, you don't want them to revert to their former selves--ever!  Praise the Lord!  Hallelujah.  Amen ....

If you noticed, for this particular post, I switched the theatre building picture and the movie poster picture around.  I did this because my reviews for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, and for ZOOKEEPER got added to my list of  Popular Posts.  But the pictures used were those of the theatres, instead!  So, to avoid this problem and confusion from ever happening again, I will be displaying the movie posters above everything else from now on.

word of advice:  Don't forget/neglect  your obligations and your responsibilities to your own family.

tidbits:  To the right of this theatre was a Bally's Health and Fitness Center which very recently closed their doors.  Too bad, since I was thinking of pulling a practical joke on some of its members.

You see, this health club had its jogging/running treadmills all facing the window overlooking the sidewalk.  My planned practical joke involves looking like an out-of-shape "fat man" dressed in a jogging suit--since you see a lot of out-of-shape fat people walking around dressed in a jogging suit.  And my practical joke also would have involved the use of  a "Super-sized" drinking cup, a large pod of  french fries and a big bacon cheeseburger in my hands as I walk on the sidewalk in clear view of the "hamsters" jogging/running  on the treadmills.  Then, I would mock them by jogging back and forth,  then ... feign a heart attack with a mouthful of soda, fries and burger!  That would have been a whole lot of fun!  So, too bad that they had to go out of business.  Whoever said that Yogis don't have a sense of humor probably never met me when I get bored and have nothing else better to do with my free time!

After the movie and before heading on home, I swung by the CVS Drugstore at the Rockridge Shopping Center in Oakland, CA, once again, to say "Hi!" to some more of my former co-workers.

Special Announcement:  I would like to take this time to say, Thank You and Welcome, to my readers in these countries:

Azerbaijan and Isle of Man

Thank you, once again.  Please keep on reading my weekly updates.  And don't forget to tell all of  your friends, and every one else who you know, about my movie review blogsite.


No comments:

Post a Comment