Sunday, October 23, 2011

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3, R ( 1 hr & 21 min )


Quickie Review:  "Toby or not Toby?"  That is the question .... 

A young family experiences some unusual and supernatural events at home.  And these occurrences  all seem to center around their younger daughter who has an ill-tempered imaginary friend named, Toby.  The father sets up his cameras to see if there are visual evidences to support his little daughter's claims.  But ... the family is totally unprepared for the terror that lies in wait for them in a "safe place".

I liked this scary movie.  The audience was really into it, too!  After the movie, the girl who sat to my right said, "I won't be able to sleep tonight."  And a guy who was seated behind me said, "I think I'm done.  I can't take anymore of this!"  Such wimps and scaredy-cats!  If only they could experience what I've supernaturally experienced since I was a little kid, they wouldn't be scared of this movie at all.

Hands down, this is the scariest of the three PARANORMAL ACTIVITY movies!  It's also probably one of the scariest movies in movie history.  And the SFX are better in this one than in the original one.  Finally, a scary Hollywood movie that I'm sure the Japanese will remake--not the other way around--for a change! But, I think that The One  reason why this horror franchise works is because it doesn't rely on some stupid, loud background music played in a Minor Key just before each and every  scary scene is shown.

Here are the things that I didn't like about this movie:  I think that I can only take so much if  somebody keeps pointing a movie camera in my face like some kind of paparazzi.  If you're a mother who loves your children, you won't put-off  examining the evidence to support an unwanted/unexpected/unwelcomed/unsettling claim.  The babysitter should have freaked-out--even at the first sign of poltergeist activity.  The scene in which the two little girls played "The Bloody Mary Game" is just a Teaser Preview; it's not in this movie at all!  If I were that little girl, after a night like that, I'd insist on sleeping in my parents' room!  The father would only end-up being paralyzed from the waist down. 

**************************

The "Bloody Mary" in the child's play referred to in this movie is not the Cocktail Drink, but the mass-murdering Catholic Queen of  England who struck fear in the hearts of Protestants.

**************************

At the box office, a couple was refused tickets for this 10:15 p.m. show because they had a minor with them.  The man was cussing and swearing as he stormed-off!  But the box office clerk and the theatre manager were both in the wrong:  Adults can take a minor to watch an R-rated movie!  The theatre employees  must have mistaken this movie for an NC-17, which it truly isn't.  It was too bad that I, Cine-Man, was too late to intercede on the couple's behalf.

2 comments:

  1. this movie sucked. it was not scary. i am going to have a beautiful sleep tonight and i am a 15 year old girl who laughed at this film. the bloody mary scene (which did happen in the movie and took about 20 minutes to watch) was hilarious and was what started the huge paranormal events in this movie. Paranormal Activity 3 was just as scary as the Dumbo ride in disneyland and should be rated TV-Y7! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Anonymous,

    Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

    When I said that this is the scariest of the three and one of the scariest in movie history, I did so based on Audience Reaction alone since it did not affect me in the same way.

    Watching a scary "supernatural" event on the Big Screen ( akin to being on a tame amusement park ride ) is nowhere as scary as actually experiencing such occurrences in real life--repeatedly--as I have experienced countless times in my own life. I think that I've said this already in an earlier blog post: Any house--and I mean, any house--will become "haunted" if I stay in it for at least six months. ( "They" love to hang-out with me for some reason );-)

    Am I right, then, to assume that you've had such experiences, as well? I ask because, historically speaking, some girls at around your age experience poltergeist and other such paranormal activities. Either way, I am glad that you were not scared by this movie at all because you'll be better prepared for the real thing, should it happen to you--if it hasn't done so already. 'Way to go, girl. Good for you!

    Yes, the "Bloody Mary" scene was shown on screen--but with ONE girl only and an adult. The Teaser Preview showed BOTH girls but no adult--except for the "adult female image" in the bathroom mirror ( which didn't make sense since Toby was a "boy" ). This is what I meant when I said that it was not in the movie at all.

    Thank you, once again, for posting a comment.

    P.S. If you want to experience a "simulated paranormal encounter" ( an "amusement park ride" of the supernatural kind ), go to Higher Balance Institute's website and order the 46 1/2 minutes long meditation CD, Dreamscape, by Eric Pepin ( I think that they have two versions now so get the original one made in 2003, since I don't know anything about the new version ). Your first "encounter" won't happen right away; you will have to meditate to it for one to two months, with headphones on, before something will happen ( In my case, it took just a little over two weeks before something happened; of course, I cheated a little by meditating to it every night--I was impatient. ). Have fun, and don't forget to let me know of your "simulated encounter".

    ReplyDelete