Wednesday, February 28, 2024

MALLARI

I went to see this today, an All Day Bargain Tuesday, at the Century 14 Vallejo, here in Vallejo, CA. The price of admission was $6.50. I brought with me a 20 oz ( 591 ml ) bottle of iced Dasani Water, a stick of Pure Kick Zero Sugar Strawberry Watermelon Hydrate to flavor my water, a Weight Watcher's Fiber One Peanut Butter Cocoa Crumble protein bar and ⅓ cup of low sodium Mixed Nuts. 

Synopsis: In the early 1800's, a young parish priest becomes the first Philippine serial killer. Believing that his mother's unexplainable sudden illness is the result of a mangkukolam ( witch ) putting a hex on her, the priest is compelled to kill at least 57 people; in the hope of finding the cure for his mother's illness. 

R-13, 2h & 9m
Auditorium 4, B-9
-
Scene Commentaries:

This is the first time that I come across an R-13 movie rating! 😐

This movie hits below the belt when an elder priest tells the doctor that a seminarian ran off with an altar boy! 😁

It's interesting to hear the elder priest think of the killer priest as some kind of a vigilante serial killer. 

Traditionally speaking, artwork for St. Bartholomew depict him holding a knife πŸ—‘️, not a sword.

-
The word Aswang ( ghost ) is also used to describe other evil entities like vampires and Manananggal ( a bat-like humanoid that detaches itself from its lower body at the waist to achieve flight as it searches for prey ). A manananggal is not real UNTIL IT BECOMES REAL AS SOON AS YOU ENCOUNTER ONE FOR YOURSELF❗😬❗ Like I Did As A 10-year old boy living in Barrio Matina, Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines! It was stalking me!!! I believe that I already wrote about this many years ago. πŸ€”

An artist's depiction of
a manananggal


And in the late '90s or in the early '00s, a supermarket tabloid here in California printed an article about a manananggal sighting in the town of Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippines. There were a number of people who witnessed it! A Vietnamese co-worker of mine also said that they have similar night creatures in Vietnam. And there's even an account of it as told by a Vietnam war vet in a book about supernatural encounters.

I really thought that this racist song was a fake:


πŸ‘‰ https://youtu.be/d6pMZ71LAic?si=4pRHmE0ENTfjLUZc

Heck, even Beaver Cleaver sang it! I'll have to look for Beaver's rendition. πŸ”Ž

Yeah, this movie mentions the Hukbalahap to explain some of the atrocities that happened in World War 2 Luzon. I wouldn't doubt it. But, more than likely though, the victims were possibly the Japanese soldiers and their collaborators.

His Hawaiian wife sure speaks English with a hint of a Pinoy accent. 😏

Okay, I'm gonna have to Spoiler Alert this movie here! If the possessed needs to have a serving of human entrails every now and then, How Was The Evil Guy Able To Satisfy Its Craving For Entrails While Buried 6 Feet πŸͺ¦ Under❗🀷‍♂️❗🀷‍♂️❗And why were its nose πŸ‘ƒ and eyes πŸ‘€ not wedged with dirt❓🀦‍♂️❓🀦‍♂️❓

Tidbits:

Gloria Diaz is a 2nd cousin of mine from my mother's maternal side of the family! My mother told me that Gloria, as a little girl, and her mom would always visit with my mother's family at their farm house in Bicol ( Sorsogon ), Philippines.

I actually planned to see this movie and the GomBurZa movie on Monday. But a business call that I waited to get never happened. So I had to reschedule the movie trip for today AFTER I realized that the call which I expected to receive in the morning would be scheduled in the afternoon, instead! It left me with no possibility of seeing the 3 Bollywood movies playing for only this week in a limited engagement. Well, you see some; you miss some ( to paraphrase a famous expression ).  πŸ™

Note:

The result of the 24-Hour Le Cine-Man's race will be posted along with my blog on GomBurZa! 

*

No comments:

Post a Comment